Lt. Commander
# 11
10-26-2010, 03:00 PM
You have to remember, some of us want that full ST experience, I want the Klingons cloaked, why would I not?? In St they are cloaked, Kirk had no idea where they were and I want to be the same, it's ST not Tissue Trek
Lt. Commander
# 12
10-26-2010, 03:43 PM
First - NO to Open PvP, as the majority of STO players are simply not interested in it, otherwise the queues and matches would be filled to over-flowing.

Second - you've totally and completely overlooked any sort of Red-Blue-Green-Yellow-Brown-Purple battles which would enable future playable races to participate.

Third - you have yet to explain how and why the game engine would be re-written in order to accommodate Open PvP anywhere in STO.

Fourth - I signed up for STO, not STEve.

Have a nice day!
Lt. Commander
# 13
10-26-2010, 04:23 PM
I don't mind there being a sector for open PVP but full open PVP I am against. As long as there are no PVE missions in the PVP zone I think it would make a good addition to the game.
Lt. Commander
# 14
10-26-2010, 04:27 PM
A great idea overall. I would love to see open pvp in STO down the road....

BUT... I think a flagging system would be superior to a "true" open PvP experience. This would allow people to enjoy it as they please, and IF they please. Otherwise, the opposing faction holds no real threat to a PvE mission goer.
Lt. Commander
# 15
10-26-2010, 04:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyryck
First - NO to Open PvP, as the majority of STO players are simply not interested in it, otherwise the queues and matches would be filled to over-flowing.

Second - you've totally and completely overlooked any sort of Red-Blue-Green-Yellow-Brown-Purple battles which would enable future playable races to participate.

Third - you have yet to explain how and why the game engine would be re-written in order to accommodate Open PvP anywhere in STO.

Have a nice day!
Sorry to break it to you, but Stahl has mentioned a new open PvP system being under test internally. It's been something requested by players since Beta.

Also, judging the interest in open pvp by current pvp queues is flawed. They don't offer the same experience. All we have now is Arenas and Capture & Hold missions in a small selection of maps. Hardly a compelling experience for most. If the team were to create a more robust & rewarding PvP experience, you can count on the amount of PvP frequenters to sky rocket.
Lt. Commander
# 16
10-26-2010, 04:58 PM
The Gamma Quadrant is a bit too big and iconic to be turned into a deathmatch arena for the PvPers to grief each other to death in. Plus, I think the Dominion would have something to say about the Klingons and Federation waging war on their vast, vast doorstep. There would be twenty Feds for every Klingon, and 500 Jem'Hadar for every Fed.

Better if they invented a new sector just for this.
Lt. Commander
# 17
10-26-2010, 05:28 PM
Iam subscribing to the thread.
Lt. Commander
# 18
10-26-2010, 05:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lysander_X View Post
Better if they invented a new sector just for this.
And/or use existing sectors that would be fitting. I'd say any sector block with a neutral zone qualifies. Eta Eridani, Pi Canis, and those nice open spaces on the galaxy map in between Klingon & Romulan space for when the next playable faction arrives...
Lt. Commander
# 19
10-27-2010, 03:13 AM
Quote:

Have a nice day!
1. You only speak for yourself, not most STO players. Also I love world PvP in other mmo's but detest battlegrounds and Arena style PvP as it's all set up, two teams, no immersion.

2. Faction based PvP sorts this out.

3. That's not our problem, that is what we pay their wages to sort out.

4. You signed up for STO, would you like me to name all the episodes where a Starfleet vessel entered hostile space and had no idea who or what was out there or how many....welcome to Star Trek not Safe Trek.

5. Have a nice day yourself.
Lt. Commander
# 20
10-27-2010, 10:40 AM
Quote:

Have a nice day!
There are a good amount of people that DO want Open-PvP ... I am not the first to post about it. That said, equating the wait times of the existing PvP system is an invalid argument - simply because the current PvP system is broken, at best. The current model does require tweaks and fixes to become more popular. That also being said, this proposal (in no way) was made to circumvent the existing PvP system. STO as we now it, currently, would not change. Those that are a more casual player would still run missions, dailies, weeklies or whatever it is that they do - without dealing with the Open-PvP realm.

Your game does not change.

The Open-PvP realm is a 'connector' to the known STO world. It is something that you must consciously involve yourself in and choose to be a part of - not forced to participate. You don't like the idea, that is ok - don't go into Gamma Quadrant then. Simple.

I have not overlooked any other "color" factions. The current model of STO is the Fed's vs. Klingons. The Orions, Gorn, and Naussicans are all aligned with the Klingons in game. They fight for the Klingons faction and, therefore, are "Red". The Federation of Planets has their alliance members as well. The "discoverable" races that I mentioned are merely for a buff to your alliance in that particular area.

It's not a free for all out there - it's not a sandbox, and it is not EVE. There are still rules and canon that will be followed to an extent. For instance, Federation fleets will not be attacking one another ... no "rogue fleets". This would be similar to any other single player Star Trek game.

Since you obviously didn't read my Proposal - the game doesn't need to be "re-written". STO stays the same. The Wormhole in DS9 provides the "door" to the Open-PvP realm. If you are not in the Gamma Quadrant - you will notice ZERO change in your game play. The one issue that I mentioned, is to allow the Klingons to have some "wormhole" to the Gamma Quadrant.

However, the Gamma Quadrant would look much like any sector of space. Think - Transwarp Gate. When you use the Transwarp Gate in Sirius Sector, you can go to the Group or Gamma Orionis. When you enter Gamma Orionis ... it's still sector space. That would be similar in the Gamma Quadrant. You enter in sector space. No cloak camps and you enter in your factions "safe zone". Trying to avoid some of the griefing.

I don't care if you signed up for STO and not ST:EVE. This proposal does not force you to play ST:EVE. If you want your queued PvP system - it's still there, intact. If you want your PvE system - it's still there, intact.

However, if you want to venture out into the "unkown" ... it's there too. If you go out there and you say, "this isn't for me," then you jump back through the wormhole and you're back to original STO land.
Closed Thread