Lt. Commander
# 21
10-27-2010, 12:15 PM
I would rather the open PvP area be along the nuetral zone. Something like ESD, but larger w/ a greater capacity. That way there could be many objectives a fair distance apart. Then we could compete to win the warzone by taking over the nuetral zone. Then it would recent, rewards given to the winning faction, and then we duke it out again.
Lt. Commander
# 22
10-27-2010, 12:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cavilier210 View Post
I would rather the open PvP area be along the nuetral zone. Something like ESD, but larger w/ a greater capacity. That way there could be many objectives a fair distance apart. Then we could compete to win the warzone by taking over the nuetral zone. Then it would recent, rewards given to the winning faction, and then we duke it out again.
A lot of people (including myself) had thought of this idea, and it does seem more canon and plausible. However, I placed it in the Gamma Quadrant since its now separate. If you open up the Neutral Zone for Open PvP, a lot of people start to get wary of it and immediately shoot the idea down. Reason being; they don't PvP and have to go into Eta Eridani for missions.

Those missions can't be removed from the system, and creating a new instance would be redundant. Think WoW phasing.

Moving it out into the Gamma Quad, is almost the best possible solution; in that, those that can't be bothered with the Open-PvP ... don't need to deal with it. They can continue on their merry way and be content in the fact that their game will forever be in single player mode.

It also allows for those that are participating in it, to have a break. If someone is getting tired or just wants a change, they can pop back through the portal and do something different - and not be confronted by it. Untill they re-enter the womhole again.

I hear ya tho, having the Neutral Zone as Open-PvP would make the most sense ... but you're going to put off a lot of people that way. It may not be the most ideal solution, but it could be a better solution that leads to action.
Lt. Commander
# 23
10-27-2010, 12:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CerealKillerSD
A lot of people (including myself) had thought of this idea, and it does seem more canon and plausible. However, I placed it in the Gamma Quadrant since its now separate. If you open up the Neutral Zone for Open PvP, a lot of people start to get wary of it and immediately shoot the idea down. Reason being; they don't PvP and have to go into Eta Eridani for missions.
Well, the Neutral Zone is larger than Eta Eridani. Looking at the map, I do see some empty space between Psi Velorum and Pi Canis ... *hint hint*

Or how about morphing the Arucanis Arm into a warzone? Feds already have a way of getting there, Klinks could get a connection to Pi Canis. Alternatively, take the Hromi Cluster.

Pi Canis itself would be an even better way, of course, but whilst moving all the missions there elsewhere is not impossible, it would mean a lot of work.

As for the general idea of world PvP, I think STO could borrow a couple things from PotBS.
Lt. Commander
# 24
10-27-2010, 01:04 PM
See that could work too. I didn't think of the void near the exploration clusters. I was trying to find a use for the useless wormhole ... lol.

Mainly, I'm trying to avoid "flagging" for PvP. I know it's a part of WoW and it's something that I find irritating. You see a 'contact' off in the distance and you run up to him to attack ... except he's not flagged. Poo.

But that area could also work too, Valias.
Lt. Commander
# 25
10-27-2010, 01:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CerealKillerSD
Mainly, I'm trying to avoid "flagging" for PvP. I know it's a part of WoW and it's something that I find irritating. You see a 'contact' off in the distance and you run up to him to attack ... except he's not flagged. Poo.
I can relate!

So yeah, designating an area seems to be the way to go. By entering that zone you basically consent to PvP.

Hmm, thinking about flagging, though ... another idea would be to make un-flagged ships simply not be visible for the other faction. And flagging/unflagging can only be done when changing sectors.

Or here's a third option: Have Pi Canis or Eta Eridani exist twice. When you come nearby you get two options: [Warp to X] and [Warp to X (PvP)]. The latter places you in an entirely different "instance" of the sector block where PvE missions are disabled, but you can compete for control of individual worlds and starbases.

When we have all that instancing in STO we can damn well make use of it, too!
Lt. Commander
# 26
10-27-2010, 01:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valias
Hmm, thinking about flagging, though ... another idea would be to make un-flagged ships simply not be visible for the other faction. And flagging/unflagging can only be done when changing sectors.
This would be similar to "phasing", making people not visible might give the impression of a ghost town or something like that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valias
Or here's a third option: Have Pi Canis or Eta Eridani exist twice. When you come nearby you get two options: [Warp to X] and [Warp to X (PvP)]. The latter places you in an entirely different "instance" of the sector block where PvE missions are disabled, but you can compete for control of individual worlds and starbases.

When we have all that instancing in STO we can damn well make use of it, too!
Well ... hopefully the future idea is to lessen the instancing.
Lt. Commander
# 27
01-07-2012, 05:21 AM
remember that eve online has been around for 9 years and they are still revamping their main pvp portion of the game in 0.0 ssecurity space yet again, because the last revamp in the Dominion expansion is hated, and is terrible. I expect sto to have growing pains.
Lt. Commander
# 28
01-07-2012, 02:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruis.In View Post
remember that eve online has been around for 9 years and they are still revamping their main pvp portion of the game in 0.0 ssecurity space yet again, because the last revamp in the Dominion expansion is hated, and is terrible. I expect sto to have growing pains.
Are you seriously going to try and compare that of STO vs. Eve in regards to PvP? There is simply no comparison, STO PvP is a poor mans attempt at creating that experience, other than that is pointless vs. in Eve you can get hit anywhere at any time, complete risk instead of what STO. No risk in STO, none, you die, you re-spawn we have had many many discussions and i would appreciate if STO did go the way of Eve in relationship to PvP and open Universe but i don't see that happening as STO is a theme park MMO, nothing more. You talk as if someone that has never played Eve, and iam someone who is an experienced veteran .

=====

Zombies are one of my least favorite species of the Galaxy. I must destroy this one and remind you Humans to open a new thread if you need to post on a topic that has not seen the light of day in over 30 days.

Q

=====
Closed Thread