Lt. Commander
# 11
10-27-2010, 12:47 PM
I suppose we shall agree to disagree then, as I hate the classic Trek look. Much prefer Cryptic's designs.

But again! That is what Hide costume is for if you don't like the armor.
Lt. Commander
# 12
10-27-2010, 01:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lennan View Post
But again! That is what Hide costume is for if you don't like the armor.
The problem is that we can still see other players running around with that look.

Yes, I know very well that this is an egocentric view, which is why I hesitated a bit before writing this, but in a way that goes for your perspective as well. All of us can affect each other's immersion with the way our characters look simply because we "force" ourselves into another player's perception. The only solution to this would be client-side options to manipulate the appearance of other players' ships and characters, but I don't see that happening.

I'm just saying that I like Qo'noS the way it looks now. Compared to ESD, the Great Hall feels so much more like 'Trek - ironically because the KDF has less customization, I suppose.*

*: Note: I still want more customization for the KDF - but only in places where it does not change the faction's overall style.
Lt. Commander
# 13
10-28-2010, 10:22 PM
Whose to say though that the Klingon armors wouldn't look Klingony? I very highly doubt they would be the sleek skin suits that the Feds rock. I see them as being more bulky and thick (although the Orions would look good in skin suits!)
Lt. Commander
# 14
10-29-2010, 01:13 PM
the real solution would of course to do a whole set of armor permutations that we can chose from in a special "outfit" slot that allows us to costume built our own armor styles, including color variation and add in extra detail. We put in a huge effort into our uniforms, and then when we equip armor, we end up covering up all that work. I know we can hide it, and I do on most occasions, but wouldn't it be cool to build armors of our own, including extras, like the mercenary parts, and also environmental suits parts.

I would also like to build my kits, but since it doesn't hide most of my current outfits, this is less of a problem, and we can just hide, un-hide it.

Also, I think their needs to be two categories. 1) shared content, so parts that all faction have access to.
2) Faction specific parts, so we can have some unique parts to mix with our other parts to make some interesting pieces.
Lt. Commander
# 15
10-29-2010, 02:27 PM
IMO, the TOS and TOS movie costumes, ships, and such were the epitome of ST design. Since then, it has gotten more sleek (well on the fed side), but to tell you the truth, I would rather they come up with a different (not fed looking) appearance to the kits and body armour, so it has a distinctive KDF feel...I'm all for the visuals if they are planning it...but I don't want to look and smell like a fed....
Lt. Commander
# 16
11-01-2010, 09:51 PM
Armor customization would be really cool but seeing as we switch out our equipment like a gear based game I am not sure if they would commit to that.
Lt. Commander
# 17
11-02-2010, 06:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lennan View Post
Armor customization would be really cool but seeing as we switch out our equipment like a gear based game I am not sure if they would commit to that.
Well, I too am now thinking the same thing might be a problem...
Lt. Commander
# 18
11-05-2010, 10:05 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valias
The problem is that we can still see other players running around with that look.

Yes, I know very well that this is an egocentric view, which is why I hesitated a bit before writing this, but in a way that goes for your perspective as well. All of us can affect each other's immersion with the way our characters look simply because we "force" ourselves into another player's perception. The only solution to this would be client-side options to manipulate the appearance of other players' ships and characters, but I don't see that happening.

I'm just saying that I like Qo'noS the way it looks now. Compared to ESD, the Great Hall feels so much more like 'Trek - ironically because the KDF has less customization, I suppose.*

*: Note: I still want more customization for the KDF - but only in places where it does not change the faction's overall style.
I know exactly what you mean by that. This is something that annoys me about many games - e.g. your level 1 hunter looks like a hunter with his bow, and the town looks like elf-town... at level 50 you look like a purple space marine riding on an elephant with a semi-automatic shiny metal bow living in a city of freaks.

But done carefully it could be positive for the game:
- give players 2 sets of armour, 1 'dress' and 1 'battle'.
- make the armour a 'big deal' in the game, let NPCs in neutral locations address the player positively/negatively based on their clothing choices. e.g. pour scorn on the fancy-pants tin-can or praise the pioneering young captain... Give us quests where different factions are competing to gain that equipment, or actively fighting against the equipment - maybe some on both sides go 'too far'... (seems a fairly recurring theme in star trek)
- maybe Qo'nos should be a traditional city, such that only dress armour may be worn.
- maybe make outposts in more dangerous parts of the empire 'battle-only'.