Lt. Commander
# 21
10-28-2010, 05:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dstahl View Post
btw - we are currently working on ways to reduce the size of the demo download. We nuked several gig off at season 2 and we're hoping that in upcoming months we can get it down even further so that players have less to download in order to try the game.
That's one of the benefits of a free trial option though. Players download the full client, so that if they choose to subscribe, everything's there ready for them. The only delay they have in between deciding to subscribe and getting on with their game is the time it takes to enter their credit card details. Whenever I've downloaded an MMO client (and the same is true of all my friends) we know it's gonna take a long time so it's an overnight thing that we set away and then get everything up and running the following day.

Sorry to keep going on about a free trial, it just seems standard practice for the MMO universe and if it isn't broke, why fix it?
Lt. Commander
# 22
10-28-2010, 07:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Felderburg View Post
I say you combine FTP & a new demo... instead of calling it "free to play" call it an "extended demo".

Also, if you do a new tutorial, could you get a voice actor that sounds like he cares a little bit about it?
LOL! I did not even know it was Quinto until my wife asked the question - months into the game :p
Lt. Commander
# 23
10-28-2010, 07:41 PM
I understand the present tutorial is tied to Khitomer Accord, which may kind of make it important on a story continuity perspective.

However, I also agree that Starfleet Academy would be a much better/more credible starting point without a deus ex machina making our characters captains. In the timeline, Quinn already points out that he wants to put people on the command track faster so PCs should really earn thier first command through implementation of that.

The best way of dealing with it, as I see it, is to go and actually create Starfleet Academy, with tutorial missions that would send players around - perhaps in the Sol starsystem areas Cryptic hasn't revealed yet too - until ultimately they get their lieutenant promotion and have their first mission be the rescue of the S.S. Asura.

The former tutorial doesn't have to go to waste - especially becuase of its future ties. I'd say that it could be recycled as a normal mission where the player ship would join the efforts to confront the Borg at Vega around the level range where they gain access to Borg Hunt (level 4? 6?). They can have the same objective of helping save the Khitomer, rescuing survivors of derelict ships, takig out swarms of probes and going down to Vega itself to handle the problems down there before assisting in the effort to take out two damaged Borg cubes. It's all, from my point of view, very workable into a pretty nice early mission.
Lt. Commander
# 24
10-28-2010, 08:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Varlo
Just while we're on the subject, why on Earth don't you approach Robert Picardo if you're going down the EMH route again? I'm sure he'd love to do it. Of course if you're re-working the tutorial completely then it's a moo point. It's like a cow's opinion--it doesn't matter.
http://trekweb.com/articles/2010/09/...an-Films.shtml
Lt. Commander
# 25
10-28-2010, 10:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoduck360
I think its going to be tough to have a demo that really grabs new (non Trekkie) players.

My reasoning is -YMMV- that the Lt tier is just so damned boring. With the exception of the P'jem mission I have not enjoyed Tier 1.

Ever.

The rest of the game is getting to be a lot of fun.
You didn't like the mission in Regulus where you have to save Paris' daughter? I rather like that one.
Lt. Commander
# 26
10-28-2010, 10:44 PM
The demo should give more inside looks to the game.

It's not necessary to make it a whole playable game. I suggest the following:

- Tutorial
- Azura
- the first patrol
- one run at delta volanis
- one run at Sirius DSEs
- Starbase 24
- Diplomatic Mission on Vulcan

So the demo covers almost every part of the game that is of interest. You see the different types of missions and get a fare share of playtime to gain interest and get first inside looks into the game mechanics.

The next best thing is to buy the game and buy a GTC for 60 days (=90 days playtime) or subscribe for at least one month (=60 days playtime).
Lt. Commander
# 27
10-28-2010, 10:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomastheCat View Post
Two words:

Starfleet.

Academy.
I think the whole academy experience might be a bit much but I definitely envision a tutorial based around graduation from the academy, which does more to cover the shortage of officers. And then you get to reuse the academy assets at endgame with admirals going back to teach/craft/claim cadets as BOs.

And to my knowledge, every faction has some kind of academy or at least Great Hunt/Rites of Passage that could be adapted to use the same tech on both ends.
Lt. Commander
# 28
10-29-2010, 10:07 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leviathan99
I think the whole academy experience might be a bit much but I definitely envision a tutorial based around graduation from the academy, which does more to cover the shortage of officers. And then you get to reuse the academy assets at endgame with admirals going back to teach/craft/claim cadets as BOs.
Exactly. The United States Navy has a Command Leadership School that takes up-and-coming officers who have already gone through the early stages of their careers and hones them to be captain-grade material.

I see a tutorial at Starfleet Academy centered around this concept. We're graduating from a command school and when we get out we are rewarded with our very own starship.

This is also a great excuse to let everyone try their luck at the Kobiyashi Maru scenario as one of the first things you get to do when you play a Fed.

For Klingons, I can easily see the player going through an adaptation of the rite of ascension.
Lt. Commander
# 29
10-29-2010, 11:37 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aslan_chShran View Post
You didn't like the mission in Regulus where you have to save Paris' daughter? I rather like that one.
By the time I got around to do that one I was so sick of Tier 1 it wasn't enjoyable.

I typically wait and do that one as a LtC now.
Lt. Commander
# 30
10-29-2010, 12:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dstahl View Post
I'm in agreement that the current demo needs to be longer and offer more content for players to experience - at least up to Starbase 24.

The other issue is the tutorial and new player experience altogether. That is something we're going to rework eventually.
please don't forget the recruitment... make it a little bit longer than the demo, pls.