Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 21
10-27-2010, 05:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirror-Master
Many players have expressed a desire to make C-Store Purchases or Fund Donations that specifically go toward purchasing likeness rights.

People tease Cryptic about putting actual content in the C-Store, but if there was a mission that included Patrick Stewart as Captain Picard with his likeness and voice I'd buy it in a heart beat.

And if buying that content helped make a Picard Character available for use in The Foundry it would be a plus to everyone playing STO whether they bought the special episode or not.

I'm just not sure how many desires for actor likenesses need to be expressed on the forums before persistent action is taken towards this.
Agreed, this is a great way to make micro-transactions attractive to consumers.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
Especially the character who are still alive in the STO universe: Data, Picard, Riker, Worf, etc.

On the other hand, I'd like to do some time travelling in the UGC missions, so why not be able to interact with any or all of them?

Dstahl says they need CBS approval and the actor can refuse...does this mean we don't have to pay the actor's for their likeness? If we do need to pay, use the microtransaction to raise the money, and let people use that asset then in their UGC.

Same for canon music....we'd pay for it, but we never get the chance.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 23
10-27-2010, 08:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakkar View Post
Especially the character who are still alive in the STO universe: Data, Picard, Riker, Worf, etc.

On the other hand, I'd like to do some time travelling in the UGC missions, so why not be able to interact with any or all of them?

Dstahl says they need CBS approval and the actor can refuse...does this mean we don't have to pay the actor's for their likeness? If we do need to pay, use the microtransaction to raise the money, and let people use that asset then in their UGC.

Same for canon music....we'd pay for it, but we never get the chance.
Worf is already around
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 24
10-27-2010, 08:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirror-Master
Many players have expressed a desire to make C-Store Purchases or Fund Donations that specifically go toward purchasing likeness rights.

People tease Cryptic about putting actual content in the C-Store, but if there was a mission that included Patrick Stewart as Captain Picard with his likeness and voice I'd buy it in a heart beat.

And if buying that content helped make a Picard Character available for use in The Foundry it would be a plus to everyone playing STO whether they bought the special episode or not.

I'm just not sure how many desires for actor likenesses need to be expressed on the forums before persistent action is taken towards this.
Seriously?
I mean... it's bad enough we have to spend $15/month (assuming non-lifetime, anyway) to make content for Cryptic's game... now you want to give them more money to make them better content that will attract more players to make Cryptic more money?

That sounds like some bad pyramid scheme you're supporting there.

If anything Cryptic should pay us for making missions for their game. Maybe a C-Point reward based on similar equations they use to figure out how much experience a mission is worth, plus the average rating given by players.

Your logic is going the completely wrong way, man....
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 25
10-27-2010, 08:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rikaelus View Post
Seriously?
I mean... it's bad enough we have to spend $15/month (assuming non-lifetime, anyway) to make content for Cryptic's game... now you want to give them more money to make them better content that will attract more players to make Cryptic more money?

That sounds like some bad pyramid scheme you're supporting there.

If anything Cryptic should pay us for making missions for their game. Maybe a C-Point reward based on similar equations they use to figure out how much experience a mission is worth, plus the average rating given by players.

Your logic is going the completely wrong way, man....
right...because fan fic is totally worth money
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 26
10-27-2010, 08:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClingingMars View Post
right...because fan fic is totally worth money
So...you don't think more people are likely to pick up STO because it has UGC in it?
A potentially endless supply of content to play seems like it'd be a selling point to me...
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 27
10-27-2010, 08:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClingingMars View Post
right...because fan fic is totally worth money
I've bought books of professionally published fanfic for Star Trek. Depends on the quality of the story.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 28
10-27-2010, 09:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rikaelus View Post
So...you don't think more people are likely to pick up STO because it has UGC in it?
A potentially endless supply of content to play seems like it'd be a selling point to me...
Yes, it's certainly going to be a selling point. Doesn't mean that you should earn money for it...Cryptic is offering UGC as a tool, you are welcome to use it to better the game. but to expect to be paid...maybe in XP/EC? but nothing else. otherwise...chaos would break out over "whether my mission deserves money", etc etc. Even CStore points would cause the same problems, since it's essentially IRL money that you spend on STO.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 29
10-27-2010, 09:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClingingMars View Post
Yes, it's certainly going to be a selling point. Doesn't mean that you should earn money for it...Cryptic is offering UGC as a tool, you are welcome to use it to better the game. but to expect to be paid...maybe in XP/EC? but nothing else. otherwise...chaos would break out over "whether my mission deserves money", etc etc. Even CStore points would cause the same problems, since it's essentially IRL money that you spend on STO.
How is it right that Cryptic can earn money on it but not those actually using the tools to create content?
Your argument does nothing against my point.

Heck... even Girl Scouts get some sort of reward if they do a good job selling someone else's cookies. They don't get the money for doing the work, but at least they get something. And XP/EC is meaningless if a person is more interested in making content than playing content.

And yeah... C-Points might essentially be IRL money, but it's IRL time people are putting towards making the missions, too. It actually makes more sense to reward in kind than reward with in-game items/currency.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 30
10-27-2010, 09:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rikaelus View Post
How is it right that Cryptic can earn money on it but not those actually using the tools to create content?
Your argument does nothing against my point.

Heck... even Girl Scouts get some sort of reward if they do a good job selling someone else's cookies. They don't get the money for doing the work, but at least they get something. And XP/EC is meaningless if a person is more interested in making content than playing content.

And yeah... C-Points might essentially be IRL money, but it's IRL time people are putting towards making the missions, too. It actually makes more sense to reward in kind than reward with in-game items/currency.
Because you sign a EULA saying that Cryptic can do whatever they want with it, and you have no rights? Comes with using THEIR tools that THEY created for YOU.

True...but again, by signing this EULA you are essentially handing over any right you have to the content. Without the tools they provide...it's just an idea in your head.

Don't get me wrong, I would love a way to earn CPoints...but it's just not feasible.
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:19 PM.