Lt. Commander
# 11
10-27-2010, 12:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by naphl View Post
Someone tell me why we need to have our Starfleet characters flying around on vulcan or andorian or tellarite ships?
Same reason for why the TOS-Connie, the Galaxy-X and the NX are or will get into the game. Yes, it doesn't make sense and hurts the consistency of the setting, but it is considered to be "fun" so there we go.

Imo, the Vulcan/Andorian ships would be better suited for a new "Independent" faction where people can play traders, smugglers or associates of individual planetary governments, but ... ah well. Of course it was easier this way.

That said, the Vulcan ship does look awesome. Kudos to the art team. Props where props are due.
Lt. Commander
# 12
10-27-2010, 01:04 PM
I'm sure they have capable fleets. The issue here is that...

1) I highly doubt they'd be as combat ready as Starfleet ships. I've given CANON proof but people just ignore it (Fat Ferengi in canon saying the Vulcans have no powerful ships and that's just one proof).

2) There are confirmed defense forces but defense forces wouldn't be in Starfleet. Plus the only defense forces we've seen on screen were pathetic (and they were EARTH'S! The capital of the Federation!).

Basically the fleets of these powers would not be purely defensive and scientific forces. They wouldn't belong in Starfleet. They might explore but that doesn't mean they'd be as capable as a Galaxy-class at it. Think of them as civilian expeditions of today, not exactly combat ready but they can still do a lot of exploring, scientific research and be real useful!

I could see Starfleet working with some of these ships from time to time. Probably on exploration and scientific missions. However, again, they wouldn't be a part of Starfleet. You play Starfleet in this game!

Once again...

NOT in Starfleet.
NOT exactly the most powerful ships around.
NOT used for combat outside of defense.
Lt. Commander
# 13
10-27-2010, 01:12 PM
I honestly doubt the 150+ species that make up the Federation all gave up their warships on the off chance that a Federation ship can arrive in a week or two to help them out if they're in trouble. The Federation is like the United Nations not the United States. Each planet is still it's own governing system with its own enemies which they need to defend themselves from. And while I agree the Vulcans probably wouldn't be known for making good "warships" I bet they make some of the best science ships in the Federation; and I bet the aggressive Andorians can put out a nice warship.
Lt. Commander
# 14
10-27-2010, 01:16 PM
Sure, but then you'd play a Captain of the Vulcan National Mercantile Fleet or the Andorian Imperial Guard. And not a Starfleet officer. It's that simple. Starfleet only uses Starfleet ships. Anything else may be an ally, but not a part.
Lt. Commander
# 15
10-27-2010, 01:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valias
Sure, but then you'd play a Captain of the Vulcan National Mercantile Fleet or the Andorian Imperial Guard. And not a Starfleet officer. It's that simple. Starfleet only uses Starfleet ships. Anything else may be an ally, but not a part.
In case you missed it, Dstahl's already posting about possibly allowing people to make custom ships in the future. The idea that STO is following hard canon was gone the moment you started flying a 100+ year old Miranda. STO is its own soft canon universe where people can fly Vulcan and Andorian ships.
Lt. Commander
# 16
10-27-2010, 01:20 PM
This seems like yet another case of: "You should be having fun on my terms"

Then when I read some of the more...descriptive arguments behind why we all need to conform to a strict canon-centric playstyle, I start to wonder if folks realize that Star Trek isn't real to begin with.
Lt. Commander
# 17
10-27-2010, 01:21 PM
We shouldn't give up on canon just because it's failed in this game so far (regarding ships and other customization options mostly). They should redouble their efforts!
Lt. Commander
# 18
10-27-2010, 01:23 PM
Or, some can understand that only the smallest percentage of the fan-base are canon-jockeys and the rest of the people are just here to play a Star Trek themed game rather then a Star Trek canon game.
Lt. Commander
# 19
10-27-2010, 01:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laediin View Post
This seems like yet another case of: "You should be having fun on my terms"

Then when I read some of the more...descriptive arguments behind why we all need to conform to a strict canon-centric playstyle, I start to wonder if folks realize that Star Trek isn't real to begin with.
It IS a case of "You should be having fun on my terms!"... The terms being crazies who want to take the Trek out of Star Trek and just make this game a canon-ignoring thing called "Star". Your terms of ignoring what this game is based off of suck.

:p
Lt. Commander
# 20
10-27-2010, 01:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmic_One View Post
The idea that STO is following hard canon was gone the moment you started flying a 100+ year old Miranda.
Actually, Mirandas were still being commissioned during the Dominion War. It's an old design, but the ships themselves are merely four decades old. IF Starfleet stopped building them at that time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laediin View Post
The game was advertised as being Star Trek, was it not? I just like to play in the setting I've grown to like from the shows, that's all.