Lt. Commander
# 121
04-28-2009, 09:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flatfingers View Post
Well.

I guess that explains how Nero and Spock appear in the "reboot" movie.

Blowing up Romulus (and Remus) seems excessive. I understand wanting to make a mark on the Star Trek universe, but I think this goes too far. I wouldn't exactly call it a My Lai moment -- "we had to destroy Star Trek in order to save it" -- but was it really necessary to change Star Trek by destroying a primary world with a Michael Bay-like explosion, rather than making the more creative effort to change the Star Trek universe by adding interesting things to it?

The only question I have is whose idea it was to blow up Romulus/Remus. Abrams & Co.? Or Cryptic?

Either way, I find this a very disappointing creative choice. I'm not sure where the line is between "shocking event to appeal to a younger audience" and "arrogant disrespect for long-time fans," but this one comes close to that line for me.

Maybe it'll somehow make more sense once additional "Path" information is revealed. Right now I doubt that, but I'm willing to wait and see.

As always, others are free to feel differently about this.

--Flatfingers
By "more creative effort" I assume you mean "exercise in futility." I'm not sure how it's arrogant disrespect for long-time fans, though. I can't even sarcasticly spin that so as to make it sensical. Of course I guess opinions don't really have to make sense. Just words.

As for whose idea... it's the setup for JJ's movie. I'm liking it. Star Trek started off being fresh and sexy and exciting. It'll be nice to go back to that. Clean off some of the excess baggage and try to make it cooler, like star wars. I know some people like Star Trek being a socially unacceptable niche for geeks only, but I'd kind of like to hold my head high when I walk down the street in a star trek shirt. Not be affraid of the star wars and stargate bullies picking on me and teasing me and taking my milk money.

Of course I'm not really a trekkie, I just watch the shows (except TOS/TAS) and the movies and most/all of the games. And don't cry (much) when the warp core fires a photon torpedo. I certainly don't boycott for it...

edit: I take too long to type posts.
Lt. Commander
# 122
04-28-2009, 09:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by 47Wasps View Post
So...
Star Trek XI is officially part of STO's canon...
and Romulas is destroyed.
I think its a rather good idea,really.

Not for the Romulans it wasn't.

This drastically alters the whole quadrant. Praxis was a sneeze compared to this. Though reading this, something about Sela's lone fleet keeps nagging at me that she had something to do with it. That along with all the missing communications and people.
Lt. Commander
# 123
04-28-2009, 09:45 PM
a good read and a year closer to release .

tobad that romulus is destoyed but no matter when romulans get added in a expantion pack the fed and klings will run for the lives

so spock finaly dies he wont be coming back this time
Lt. Commander
# 124
04-28-2009, 09:48 PM
Know you know in Star Trek they always come back.

Also, there's no proof he's gone.
Lt. Commander
# 125
04-28-2009, 09:54 PM
O.k. Are we ready to talk about how a new series might affect the MMO as well yet?

I have been waiting on the interviews for this topic since 2004.
Lt. Commander
# 126
04-28-2009, 09:55 PM
what a nightmare..i've loved the star empire since i was a kid watchin tng, hopefully the traits and mentality of the romulans will remain intact and won't be muddled into some kind of Maquis-like faction...this is a black letter day indeed
Lt. Commander
# 127
04-28-2009, 09:58 PM
thank you all it was another well written read, cant wait for more info thanks
Lt. Commander
# 128
04-28-2009, 10:00 PM
Sweet... glad to see the events of the ST: Countdown comic being recounted here. Can't wait to see what this does to the Romulans... I definitely want to see them as a faction at some point in STO, so it should be dramatic!

As an aside: HOLY GOD am I excited for the movie!
Lt. Commander
# 129
04-28-2009, 10:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rivaris View Post
a good read and a year closer to release .

tobad that romulus is destoyed but no matter when romulans get added in a expantion pack the fed and klings will run for the lives

so spock finaly dies he wont be coming back this time
sorry but NO.

spock (the late 24th century spock) is shown in the movie. so he didnt die, at least not yet. He may die in the movie, but from the comic/"path" perspective it looks like he died in the explosion, when in reality he was flung inot the past. noone in the 24th centry knows this of course.
Lt. Commander
# 130
04-28-2009, 10:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by doam View Post
By "more creative effort" I assume you mean "exercise in futility." I'm not sure how it's arrogant disrespect for long-time fans, though. I can't even sarcasticly spin that so as to make it sensical. Of course I guess opinions don't really have to make sense. Just words.
I suppose I might have expressed myself too subtly. I didn't say blowing up Romulus/Remus was "arrogant disrespect for long-time fans"; I said it came close to that line for me. I don't mind if you disagree with me about that, but at least try to disagree with what I've actually said.

Again: I understand wanting to make meaningful changes to a long-running entertainment franchise. You'll have a tough time painting me as some kind of drooling fanboi who freaks out at any kind of change to a make-believe bit of fiction.

That said, I do enjoy this particular franchise, so it does matter to me how it's treated by the people allowed to mess with it. I'm OK with change, but the kind of change matters. The question I'm asking is not "should Star Trek change" -- IMO it should -- but rather what's the best way to change it that appeals to a new audience without alienating existing fans: destroy an important part of that franchise, or add something new and fresh to it?

That's what I meant by being disappointed by what seems to me to be a lack of creative effort. Any Yahoo can blow stuff up. ("No, the explosion has to be bigger! Ma-ba-SPLOOM!") Making the effort to imagine some interesting new thing to add to the Star Trek franchise would have been more creative than deleting an important part of that universe (i.e., a factional homeworld) as a way to create a "big" antagonist.

I guess we'll see whether I'm alone or not in expecting more from the people now controlling Star Trek.

--Flatfingers