Lt. Commander
# 471
05-21-2009, 02:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArchonX View Post
That STO will mostly likely take place in the Original timeline, not the new JJ Abrams timeline.
There is no "most likely" about it. The last "path" update PROVES beyond any doubt which timeline STO takes place in. If it were simply the "future" of the alternate timeline from the movie, then everyone would not think Spock/Nero died in the wormhole and would know what happened to them.
Lt. Commander
# 472
05-21-2009, 03:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefreshjedi View Post
Well technically, the Hobus supernova would still occur in the Alternate Reality too, it just hasn't happened yet, because it is an event that will transpire some 140 years from the date of the New Movie. It may be an alternate reality/timeline, but the events that link the realities together are still physically the same. I.E. a dying star.

So... Romulus and Remus will likely be destroyed again in the new timeline aswell, unless Paramount decides to keep them around maybe.

Alternate Reality or Timeline, does not imply alternate spacial physics. A star will still die regardless of the events going around it.

-avery
At least in the Alternate Reality they can do more to save the Romulans. Much earlier evacuation. They have 100+ year head start now to find and colonize a new homeworld. Or even now, they could just use the Red Matter right before the star dies to prevent the supernova from reaching Romulus.
Lt. Commander
# 473
05-21-2009, 03:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The.Grand.Nagus View Post
There is no "most likely" about it. The last "path" update PROVES beyond any doubt which timeline STO takes place in. If it were simply the "future" of the alternate timeline from the movie, then everyone would not think Spock/Nero died in the wormhole and would know what happened to them.
Fair enough
Lt. Commander
# 474
05-21-2009, 04:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArchonX View Post
At least in the Alternate Reality they can do more to save the Romulans. Much earlier evacuation. They have 100+ year head start now to find and colonize a new homeworld. Or even now, they could just use the Red Matter right before the star dies to prevent the supernova from reaching Romulus.
Aye, but again, that's a scary thought. The last bit of Red Matter was used to destroy Nero's ship, and it was teleported to another reality. But we already saw how devastating just a little drop of that stuff was. And I wonder if in the new reality that we can also expect another return to the destructive power of the Red Matter again? vis-a-vis Genesis style world destruction and domination. You can bet the Klingons, the Romulans, and many other hostile species (in this time at this point in the timeline) would have a serious military interest in that Red Matter.

-avery
Lt. Commander
# 475
05-21-2009, 06:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravain View Post
they will survive
Jolan'tru Klingon
Lt. Commander
# 476
05-22-2009, 02:56 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The.Grand.Nagus View Post
Actually, it didnt. All the new movie changed, as far as STO is concerned, is Romulus/Remus being destroyed. Nothing that Spock/Nero did after going through the black hole has ANY effec on STO.
What i meant by the STO being changed alot was the way the timeline was shaping up. I doubt Cryptic had advanced viewings back in March. Therefore when they were devising the timeline, i doubt they invisioned what would happen in the movie. Thus with Romulus being destroyed it blew their plotlines wide open.

Thats what i meant when i said that the movie has changed STO alot.
Lt. Commander
# 477
05-22-2009, 03:26 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freshman2001 View Post
I doubt Cryptic had advanced viewings back in March. Therefore when they were devising the timeline, i doubt they invisioned what would happen in the movie. .
Well they did manage to make a ship nicknamed the Jellyfish(the movie did to, they are very different but such a weird name to have in common), as well as the whole redmatter thing which I don't think existed in the universe a few years ago?
Lt. Commander
# 478
05-22-2009, 03:32 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by loyaltrekie View Post
Well they did manage to make a ship nicknamed the Jellyfish(the movie did to, they are very different but such a weird name to have in common), as well as the whole redmatter thing which I don't think existed in the universe a few years ago?
Considering Cryptic stated that they are working closely with CBS/Paramount, these appear to be more than mere coincidences, as many have stated. So they probably did have advance warning and -- if CBS/Paramount has any common sense regarding product development -- Star Trek Online has been developing these tie-ins for the sake of cross-product marketing.

In simpler terms:

The new movie says, "Star Trek just got a lot more exciting and unpredictable!"
Star Trek Online says, "Look! We foreshadowed what would happen in the new movie before it was released! Play our game for more hints of what is to come in the next movie!"

Just a disclaimer, I do not mean this as a criticism, and this is only my theory and not necessarily truth. In fact, my criticism of the Star Trek franchise is, why didn't they do this type of clever marketing before? :p
Lt. Commander
# 479
05-22-2009, 07:17 AM
Is Rick Berman writing this stuff? There is little science here. Very little. This is not looking good for anyone that thinks science should be in science fiction.
Lt. Commander
# 480
05-23-2009, 03:43 AM
Consider how chessy MMO were 10 years ago or 15?