Lt. Commander
# 141
11-17-2010, 08:33 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoberraz View Post
As I see it, the fleet action needs to be repeatable, so, the 25th century ESD can't be wholly destroyed. However, I could see Klingon raids attacking it and rendering it in a position where it was disabled and in repair, with subsequent lingon raids continuing to ruin the repair effort and battering it like starbase 24.

With the STO ESD mostly disabled, Starfleet could stop using ESD for its administrative functions and rollback to the ST3 spacedock.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dstahl View Post
I like the way you think!
I actually think this is an ideal situation of an open PvP zone...
Lt. Commander
# 142
11-17-2010, 09:28 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dstahl View Post
We were talking today about turning it into a new Fleet Action for Season 4 so the KDF can have a glorious attack on Earth (I mean if they can make it to SB 24, and then Utopia Planetia - how much longer till they blow up ESD??). The Feds need better defenses if they expect to protect Earth!
*Flashback to Open Beta End Event*

Spawn BOOM... Respawn BOOM.... Respawn BOOM.... Respawn *hit Warp out* BOOM.... Respawn *hit cloak* BOOM.... Respawn BOOM.... Respawn BOOM....... Rage + ALT + F4
Lt. Commander
# 143
11-17-2010, 09:30 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z3R0B4NG View Post
*Flashback to Open Beta End Event*

Spawn BOOM... Respawn BOOM.... Respawn BOOM.... Respawn *hit Warp out* BOOM.... Respawn *hit cloak* BOOM.... Respawn BOOM.... Respawn BOOM....... Rage + ALT + F4
regardless...it was an INGAME EVENT...and we haven't had one since
Lt. Commander
# 144
11-17-2010, 10:14 AM
This might be sacrilege for me to say, but I think a Klingon Fleet Action over Earth would be a very, very bad idea -- especially if it was ongoing.

One of the most significant and poignant moments in DS9 was when the Breen attacked Earth. For the first time in hundreds of years, the thematic heart of the Federation itself was under siege, however briefly. A one time special event would be cool, but making Earth... well, eternally under attack by the Klingons pushes us beyond the point where we can be continuing with STO as we've been going.

To be blunt -- if Earth, Vulcan, Andoria, Teller or any of the other core worlds of the Federation became under siege, there would be no possible way that the Federation would ever allow ships to be out exploring the universe. At that point, this is Hot War, and it must be fought to be won, period. I know, this is a game, but that pushes suspension of disbelief just too far.

Now, I honestly don't care if we go to the old ESD or not. I never found this one offensive. But, if it's that big with people I'm perfectly okay with it. And if it needs to be an in-game event explaining all of this, then fine -- I'm entirely okay with that. But make it an event that doesn't require a complete change to the feel of Star Trek Online and everything going on with it. Make it a reactor leak that requires it be abandoned, with teams of Federation players finding out why, working to lock it down, and discovering Klingon sabotage. Give the Klingons a paired event where they need to come in under cloak or in an old captured Miranda so they can beam aboard and commit said sabotage. Have it end with the Federation preventing a one-time disaster (in the storyline) but flooding the station with radiation that will take months or longer to decontaminate -- and which will have ruined all the systems aboard. That in turn forces the Federation to reactivate the old ESD. Now we have an event that can be played through in turn by players (as an extra long episode, say), but that doesn't make the Klingon War an all encompassing event that eclipses everything else in STO to the level the Dominion War did.
Lt. Commander
# 145
11-17-2010, 11:11 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borysthenis
Some good ideas.
I like your thoughts. I especially like the part where ESD isn't destroyed, but rendered unusable. Even if it's partially destroyed, those of us that like the look want to keep it!
Lt. Commander
# 146
11-17-2010, 11:20 AM
Quote:
This might be sacrilege for me to say, but I think a Klingon Fleet Action over Earth would be a very, very bad idea -- especially if it was ongoing.

One of the most significant and poignant moments in DS9 was when the Breen attacked Earth. For the first time in hundreds of years, the thematic heart of the Federation itself was under siege, however briefly. A one time special event would be cool, but making Earth... well, eternally under attack by the Klingons pushes us beyond the point where we can be continuing with STO as we've been going.

To be blunt -- if Earth, Vulcan, Andoria, Teller or any of the other core worlds of the Federation became under siege, there would be no possible way that the Federation would ever allow ships to be out exploring the universe. At that point, this is Hot War, and it must be fought to be won, period. I know, this is a game, but that pushes suspension of disbelief just too far.

Now, I honestly don't care if we go to the old ESD or not. I never found this one offensive. But, if it's that big with people I'm perfectly okay with it. And if it needs to be an in-game event explaining all of this, then fine -- I'm entirely okay with that. But make it an event that doesn't require a complete change to the feel of Star Trek Online and everything going on with it. Make it a reactor leak that requires it be abandoned, with teams of Federation players finding out why, working to lock it down, and discovering Klingon sabotage. Give the Klingons a paired event where they need to come in under cloak or in an old captured Miranda so they can beam aboard and commit said sabotage. Have it end with the Federation preventing a one-time disaster (in the storyline) but flooding the station with radiation that will take months or longer to decontaminate -- and which will have ruined all the systems aboard. That in turn forces the Federation to reactivate the old ESD. Now we have an event that can be played through in turn by players (as an extra long episode, say), but that doesn't make the Klingon War an all encompassing event that eclipses everything else in STO to the level the Dominion War did.
Fleet actions are not really "on going", they are essentially single battles that are captured in game and replayable. So think of it like you might being able to replay the battle of Wolf 359 or the first battle of Chin'taka. If continuity is such an issue to you, you simply play the battle out once and then never again.

The War is and should be the all encompassing event in STO either that or the conflict simply needs to end.
Lt. Commander
# 147
11-17-2010, 03:10 PM
Sitting in Chairs and the All Good Things uniform are getting my cockles cockling
Lt. Commander
# 148
11-17-2010, 03:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mineria
what happened to Utopia Planetia?!?!
You, you happened to it. You durned, dirty Klingon!

Seriously, roll a Klingon and found out for yourself. I guarantee you'll happen to Utpoia Planetia.
Lt. Commander
# 149
11-17-2010, 03:17 PM
Quote:
[...] making Earth... well, eternally under attack by the Klingons pushes us beyond the point where we can be continuing with STO as we've been going.

To be blunt -- if Earth, Vulcan, Andoria, Teller or any of the other core worlds of the Federation became under siege, there would be no possible way that the Federation would ever allow ships to be out exploring the universe. [...] I know, this is a game, but that pushes suspension of disbelief just too far.

Now, I honestly don't care if we go to the old ESD or not. I never found this one offensive. But, if it's that big with people I'm perfectly okay with it. And if it needs to be an in-game event explaining all of this, then fine -- I'm entirely okay with that. But make it an event that doesn't require a complete change to the feel of Star Trek Online and everything going on with it.
I agree with you 100% mate. I'd love to have been a fly on the wall when they were coming up with that one.....

DStahl: We need something to explain to the masses why we're replacing ESD.
Dev #1: Why don't we just call it an upgrade of Federation technology. It happens. Look at Mir and the ISS.
DStahl: Very good, Dev #1, I like it.
Dev #2: (eating a Twix and scratching his bum) Why don't we just, like, you know, make a big zazz battle there and say it got blowed up?
DStahl: Is that really the best you could come up with? Get out.

(All in the mirror universe in my head, you understand) =]

Personally I think why waste such a hugely expensive piece of kit that's clearly still in running order? Why not stick some engines on that bad boy, give it enough fuel to get to the Moon and leave it there, maintained by a skeleton crew.

Still accessible by impulse travel from Earth, boardable, but the comms guy is now a pale-skinned old recluse instead of the young buck that welcomes us currently, who will remain at the new ESD to point his goggle(s) at us.

It would make a great setting for many a story, the creepy old space station in orbit of the moon. Fingers crossed this gets read and agreed with because really, why waste such an iconic piece of architecture that is really well made. You could even work it into some sort of class tutorial for engineering officers by having them spend a few levels running around maintaining the place. Maybe once every ten levels there's a new problem that needs to be fixed (or maybe the mission won't be so shallow, but it's just an example) when you go see your old mentor.

By the way, is this what that guy's doing while he's monitoring space traffic around earth space dock?
http://imongrel.files.wordpress.com/...g_the_game.jpg
Lt. Commander
# 150
11-17-2010, 03:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzun View Post
What happened to Utpoia Planetia
Well it's in orbit of Mars, for starters, not Earth.

But hells yeah, I'd like to be able to warp to it and hang out. It should be a must-see location