Lt. Commander
# 11
10-28-2010, 08:26 AM
That doesn't bother me. I was out of town when they offered the tribbles for testing. I missed out on them entirely. I'm glad there's a chance to get them now if I wanted them: which I don't.

I also think it's kind of lame to only test for free items. I was testing on tribble before they ever offered anything for doing it. I do it because I like the game and want to see it get better. Not because I can get a free tribble I'll never use anway.
Lt. Commander
# 12
10-28-2010, 08:33 AM
I'm of the mind that beta testing should be a mix of old and new players. The older players know the system well, and so play through the beta content and say 'oh, that was easy', then the new players come along when it has been released and give up after 5 minutes because they don't know the game well enough to complete whatever it was being tested.

Doesn't matter so much for new story arcs for VA ranks, etc, but certainly for content that everyone can access.
Lt. Commander
# 13
10-28-2010, 08:34 AM
I'm kind of glad that I didn't make it into the CB. I was a part of Red Squad during the STO CB (we got 24/7 access to the game while the majority of the people were still doing 3 hour playtests, twice a week), and the amount of bugs and errors I experienced and reported (a few of which are still in the game, lol) makes me feel sorry for the people testing the Foundry right now.

I do test on Tribble, but I'm happy to wait to test the UGCE.
Lt. Commander
# 14
10-28-2010, 08:37 AM
yes STO CB was.....interesting to say the least
Lt. Commander
# 15
10-28-2010, 08:43 AM
Closed beta was only extended to users that had proven helpful on the Tribble Test Server.

Betas are just that: software with bugs that need testing. I assume that they want the first impression for the general community to be positive and make sure any bugs are fixed before that date.

There's an NDA over Foundry testers too. So, if friends are quiet and won't talk about the tools (if they're invited), it's because they're under the NDA.

I hope this helps.
Lt. Commander
# 16
10-28-2010, 08:50 AM
To be blunt...

If you have to ask how to get into the CB, then you're not on the short list of people who are going to be asked.
Lt. Commander
# 17
10-28-2010, 08:58 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren_Kitlor
Betas are just that: software with bugs that need testing. I assume that they want the first impression for the general community to be positive and make sure any bugs are fixed before that date.
Yep, and that's exactly why I'm glad I'm not part of the initial group. As for making sure the bugs are fixed, yeah, somehow I don't see that happening.
Lt. Commander
# 18
10-28-2010, 09:00 AM
Alas, I am not one of the chosen few that Cryptic has smiled upon in their infinite kindness. I shall have to endure the flames of torment along with all the other sinners and rejects who werent good enough.
Lt. Commander
# 19
10-28-2010, 09:01 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren_Kitlor
Closed beta was only extended to users that had proven helpful on the Tribble Test Server.

There's an NDA over Foundry testers too. So, if friends are quiet and won't talk about the tools (if they're invited), it's because they're under the NDA.

I hope this helps.
Yes, we know your in the closed beta. Congrats.