Lt. Commander
# 51
11-01-2010, 10:41 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bojo86 View Post
I will be writing nothing until the Foundry actually comes out, for fear of all my brilliantly conceived story arcs being chopped down to scraps at the behest of a very limited UGC engine. Hopefully the Foundry will give us a lot of freedom, and it all sounds very cool.

But I do kind of feel insulted that I will be paying for a game that I will be putting my own content into. Hopefully the rewards that come back from the recognition of a well-written story will spur me on to continue playing...

I fell that Cryptic should offer a "rewards" system with Credits being offered in game for people who upload new content. that way, the game provides the option for users who wish to play, and others who wish to also create content. This leads to a richer environment and gample experience, as well as benefits for players willing to go the extra mile.

In my experience, user generated content is a great boon to anonline game as it can lead to some interested stuff (look at how successful DOOM was in the early years from opening up the map tools). The Foundry is one of the most exciting updates planned and well worth it in my opinion!
Lt. Commander
# 52
11-01-2010, 12:59 PM
I think ill start out withb a bit of intrigue based missions depending on the limitations of the toolset when it comes to dialogue trees, that is to say that I don't intend to bore people to death with walls of text either, since there must be a good action point as well, but its all the more memorable if its a more compelling story other then 'the borg have taken a settlement, stop them with phasers.'
Lt. Commander
# 53
11-01-2010, 01:37 PM
Lt. Commander
# 54
11-01-2010, 02:57 PM
Im a VA so what I want to end up doing is creating my own fleet.... someday
Lt. Commander
# 55
11-01-2010, 05:08 PM
I've had an idea for a news release that I'd like to base a Foundry mission on bouncing around in my head for awhile now. I finally decided to write it down.

Once We Were Warriors - The real reason the Klingon Empire attacked the Federation

I'm thinking that my mission will have the players acting as the investigators for the Security Concerns 2410 panel. If the Foundry allows me to assign a customizable NPC to beam down with the players then I'll have him as the investigator and the player(s) trying to convince him that he's wrong about the Undine.

Either way I'll still be able to write the same story, but the exact tack that I'll take will be entirely dependent on what the Foundry allows us to do.
Lt. Commander
# 56
11-01-2010, 05:56 PM
I will make story odd about War between Klingon and Federation...maybe improve the relationship between them.. or maybe end of war and new allies? i wish that Foundry allow us do.. but it will make to public or only on Fleets?
Lt. Commander
# 57
11-01-2010, 06:44 PM
When I get access to the Foundry, I plan to write up a mission that will help solidify the storyline I created that allowed my Earth and Beyond characters to exist in this universe. I also made an Anna character from the TV show V(which was cancelled), that I will try to make a storyline for.

I know. It's corny as heck, but I figure that is a good place as any to start.

After that, I plan to re-watch the episode "Offspring" where Data loses his daughter to her evolving emotions, and continue on Star Fleet's attempt to re-surrect or re-make her. Not cannon, I know, but it should be fun to test out my story making skills more.

Edit: Regarding in-game storyline expansions with Foundry: There was this one planet that was gorgoues and covered in vegetation(I think it is one of the loading screens with a captain and her crew running up the hill with rifles), and there was one mission in beta that I played in a cluster where an entire starbase was taken by some unknown alien species that was very reminicense of the Star Trek Voyager feel to encountering an unknown and possibly stronger enemy.
Lt. Commander
# 58 Formula for Success
11-10-2010, 10:21 PM
I'll make an episode with a ticking clock using an arbitrary number (like 38 minutes for example), an excess of technobabble, starting were you accidentally blow up a planet or small moon (that might not be a moon), and weapons will always be at maximum because the audience loves weapons at maximum. Oh and I can't forget to place the player in an impossible situation where they conveniently escape at the last minute possibly with help from an ally that wasn't previously mentioned in the episode but its alright because I'll have one of your bridge officers state how convenient it was and then move on.
Lt. Commander
# 59
11-10-2010, 10:53 PM
I'll make missions that dont represent all that has been done wrong in STO. They wont have the Borg in them. Will have no ground combat. Have an original and thought out story line. And pull people into them. Kind of have the feel of the good Star Trek Series's and movies. Put a bit of creativity and heart into it.
Lt. Commander
# 60
11-12-2010, 04:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ansler
I'll make an episode with a ticking clock using an arbitrary number (like 38 minutes for example), an excess of technobabble, starting were you accidentally blow up a planet or small moon (that might not be a moon), and weapons will always be at maximum because the audience loves weapons at maximum. Oh and I can't forget to place them in an impossible situation where they conveniently escape at the last minute possibly with help from an ally that wasn't previously mentioned in the episode but its alright because I'll have one of your bridge officers state how convenient it was and then move on.
hmmm ... << leans forward setting down the scotch and taking large cigar from mouth >> ... not bad, not bad. But I can improve on it. You need to add in a pet monkey, or kitten or something fluffy ... kids love animals.

Also we got a male heavy demographic here, and our studies show guys like to look at hot chicks, so add one of those in there too. ... Better yet make them all chicks. The good guys, the bad guys, the captain, the engineer, the science officer ... make them all women. But with variety - you know have a smart girl, a preppy girl, a slutty girl ... lots of types of girls. And we'll put them in spandex. It'll save us a ton on wardrobe if we can make them one-size-fits-all. While we're at it, we can save money by having the zippers only run halfway up the uniform.

That should shore up our ratings!!! Let mister "we need plots and characters" stuff that in his pipe and smoke it.