Go Back   Star Trek Online > Feedback > Builds, Powers, and Game Mechanics
Login

Lt. Commander
I admit this has been gone for a very long time; and it was probably not intended to begin with; but I'd really, really like to see our Bridge Officers have Off Duty uniform options again.

There's a few reasons for this:

1) Not everyone on your ship is necessarily a Starfleet Officer. Throughout the various Trek series, it's been established that sometimes you wind up with one or more non-Starfleet officers on the ship. Now I admit in most cases these wouldn't be your BOs technically; but due to the way the game is set up, if you want someone to be 'important' on your crew in some fashion, they wind up in the BO roster.

So if you want say, a Kira Nerys, Quark, Nelix, Odo, or the like... they have to be on the bridge crew. However none of those characters wears a Starfleet uniform since... well they aren't Starfleet.

2) Likewise, down the road we may end up with episodes wherein it would be more appropriate for our BOs to be wearing different outfits than the standard Starfleet uniforms. Especially anything related to the Holodeck for instance.

3) With the Merc outfits, there's now a precedent for outfits that are appropriate to certain types of Starfleet operations showing up in this slot. While it's not guaranteed that more will wind up there; it's possible; and if it's possible it would be nice to be able to allow our BOs to wear any sort of special uniforms if they come out.

---

I'm sure other people could think of even more reasons.

I do understand too, that it's unlikely the Uniform options will work with the Off Duty outfit options; but if this is the problem, what about a selector tab up top that lets you switch which type of outfit to use, rather than be limited by the type of slot?* As it stands it's just a little annoying buying nice Off Duty stuff for myself and having no way to give it to my BOs, even in circumstances where it would be very appropriate.

Anyway, just thought I'd mention it, as it's something I'd really like to see happen.

*Really, player characters could use this option as well. While having more uniform slots is nice; there's a limit to the number of variations of uniform I really feel like having - being able to decide individually whether a slot will be for a uniform or for off-duty use would really open things up a bit. As long as the first slot remains locked for uniforms only; I don't see why there'd be a problem. (Other than technical issues of course.)
Lt. Commander
# 2
09-28-2010, 07:51 AM
I would even go so far to completely drop the difference between the two and allow us to make off-duty clothes with the TOS mini-skirt, uniforms with the bandolier and belt of the merc gear and allow us to put combadges on off-duty tops.
Unfortunately these threads always die without a dev response. So we probably won't even know why they are not doing it.
Lt. Commander
# 3
09-28-2010, 10:07 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Tar
I would even go so far to completely drop the difference between the two and allow us to make off-duty clothes with the TOS mini-skirt, uniforms with the bandolier and belt of the merc gear and allow us to put combadges on off-duty tops.
I completely agree with this.
Lt. Commander
# 4
09-28-2010, 12:33 PM
Quote:
Unfortunately these threads always die without a dev response. So we probably won't even know why they are not doing it.
I also agree! Hopefully we can keep this one alive long enough to get a response.
Lt. Commander
# 5
09-28-2010, 10:29 PM
Quote:
My ideal is definitely this; I just have substantial doubts about the technical feasibility of it. (It's not that it's not doable - COH and CO both have much more diverse costume setups - it's just that STO's costume interface is... well limited in comparison to both of those.) But yes - if they can do it; this would be my preferred option as well.

I definitely hope they'll say something at least.
Lt. Commander
# 6
09-29-2010, 12:14 AM
I'm pretty sure they can do it. Look for example at Holo-Leeta's clothes. As far as I can see she has a top and shoes from the formal wear pack but the stippled uniform pants. And a few days ago it was in the patch notes that they fixed it that a few pieces of the merc set could be used with uniforms.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Felderburg View Post
Hopefully we can keep this one alive long enough to get a response.
That would be great. I'm usually pretty happy with how the devs respond on the forums, but there are a few topics that just get no love. I think we're all grown-ups here (well, most of us ), so if they don't want to do something or can't do it for some reason they can just tell us.
Lt. Commander
# 7
09-29-2010, 08:54 AM
Great thread.

I bought 2 additional costume slots as soon as the 21st century and merc outfits were released and had to recognize that i just threw my money out the window, because these slots don't work for off-duty clothing.

My evil twin thinks, this is a money making strategy of Cryptic, but I still argue with him.

I hope Cryptic can proove my evil twin wrong and allow us to decide the type of the clothing slots any time we want.
Lt. Commander
# 8
09-29-2010, 02:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mindvampire View Post
Great thread.

I bought 2 additional costume slots as soon as the 21st century and merc outfits were released and had to recognize that i just threw my money out the window, because these slots don't work for off-duty clothing.

My evil twin thinks, this is a money making strategy of Cryptic, but I still argue with him.

I hope Cryptic can proove my evil twin wrong and allow us to decide the type of the clothing slots any time we want.
If you save an off-duty uniform, and load it into a purchased slot when you make the first edit, and never change it ever again, they apparently do work with off-duty clothes. Blackavaar's guide to colors has some posts on that I think (http://forums.startrekonline.com/sho...d.php?t=151369 - no idea where it is, in the last third/quarter or so, though).
Lt. Commander
# 9
10-02-2010, 06:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Felderburg View Post
If you save an off-duty uniform, and load it into a purchased slot when you make the first edit, and never change it ever again, they apparently do work with off-duty clothes. Blackavaar's guide to colors has some posts on that I think (http://forums.startrekonline.com/sho...d.php?t=151369 - no idea where it is, in the last third/quarter or so, though).
Hrmm... that's somewhat useful... but unless we can buy BO costume slots <;_;> still does not fix my personal issue. (Though I do thank you for sharing that.)
Lt. Commander
# 10
10-02-2010, 08:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistformsquirrel
Hrmm... that's somewhat useful... but unless we can buy BO costume slots <;_;> still does not fix my personal issue. (Though I do thank you for sharing that.)
Yeah, that's true, player only work around...