Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 31
10-29-2010, 10:57 AM
Give AWARDS for great UGC!


1) Featured games earn like 10,000 Cryptic Points.

2) Each hit on your game gets you 1 Cryptic Point.

Something like that. This way it's not actual money. The only way I could see actual money being factored in would be if we made C-store items which is unlikely.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 32
10-29-2010, 10:59 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by USS Parallax
Give AWARDS for great UGC!


1) Featured games earn like 10,000 Cryptic Points.

2) Each hit on your game gets you 1 Cryptic Point.

Something like that. This way it's not actual money. The only way I could see actual money being factored in would be if we made C-store items which is unlikely.
CPoints are actual money, for Cryptic. But I do like the idea of rewarding people who make featured episodes. Sort of like an ingame contest.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 33
10-29-2010, 11:00 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by USS Parallax
2) Each hit on your game gets you 1 Cryptic Point.
Guild chat: hey, can everyone please do my mission and then do it again with your alts? I want some free Cryptic points!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 34
10-29-2010, 11:02 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClingingMars View Post
that would be akin to energy credits or even emblems in STO. if you look at the thread in the Foundry subsection (Likeness Rights) what people are "demanding" is a way of being PAID, mostly by CPoints, which is ridiculous.
Being paid in C-store points is a bit silly and I don't see that happening,
A simple UGC store with some kind of new UGC uniform, ship trophies, rare BOFF's etc..

Or maybe the higher your rating, the more mission items you unlock, Making your missions more unique then the people who are new to it.

Or maybe a UGC c-store with its own currency and items.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 35
10-29-2010, 11:02 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The.Grand.Nagus View Post
Guild chat: hey, can everyone please do my mission and then do it again with your alts? I want some free Cryptic points!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
yeah this is a terribad idea imo. I do HOWEVER like the idea that say your mission gets like a set number of playthroughs, you receive an accolade or something. definitely not something as tangible as CPoints
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 36
10-29-2010, 11:04 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by USS Parallax
Give AWARDS for great UGC!


1) Featured games earn like 10,000 Cryptic Points.

2) Each hit on your game gets you 1 Cryptic Point.

Something like that. This way it's not actual money. The only way I could see actual money being factored in would be if we made C-store items which is unlikely.
Cryptic would never do this or any other MMO.

UGC is about giving you more to do in game, not getting handouts for the C-store.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 37
10-29-2010, 11:04 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanharn View Post
Being paid in C-store points is a bit silly and I don't see that happening,
A simple UGC store with some kind of new UGC uniform, ship trophies, rare BOFF's etc..

Or maybe the higher your rating, the more mission items you unlock, Making your missions more unique then the people who are new to it.

Or maybe a UGC c-store with its own currency and items.
I don't think its own store is likely, but MAYBE something similar...you could get "UGC points" or something like that that would allow you to purchase certain CStore items, maybe even UNIQUE items to "UGC points"
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 38
10-29-2010, 11:05 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanharn View Post
Cryptic would never do this or any other MMO.

UGC is about giving you more to do in game, not getting handouts for the C-store.
I don't think they'd EVER allow the whole "1 point per play" idea, but rewards for "featured UGC" are a good idea, whether that be CStore points or even a unique item, I dunno.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 39
10-29-2010, 12:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClingingMars View Post
CPoints are actual money, for Cryptic. But I do like the idea of rewarding people who make featured episodes. Sort of like an ingame contest.
Not directly.
Cryptic only loses money giving a person C-Points if that person would otherwise buy C-Points, themselves. If they never would, Cryptic wouldn't have lost anything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The.Grand.Nagus View Post
Guild chat: hey, can everyone please do my mission and then do it again with your alts? I want some free Cryptic points!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
What's wrong with that? That means the content is being played and those people have something to do in STO. That's the point of UGC, you know... giving people something to do. But I do agree that 1cp per playthrough is too much and therefor too open to abuse.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanharn View Post
Cryptic would never do this or any other MMO.

UGC is about giving you more to do in game, not getting handouts for the C-store.
People having more to do (by being able to play UGC) benefits Cryptic. It's in their interest for their players to have something to do; it encourages existing players to stay and is a selling point to attract new subscribers.

I don't think it's uncalled for at all for authors to get some reward proportionate to how much playtime their mission(s) offer other players.

The proposal I came up with in the UGC forum was for a .5cp "payment" for every hour of playtime their missions receive (each playthrough capping at half hour to avoid idler abuse). The amount of CP, amount of time, and per-playthrough time cap can of course be tweaked.

The idea is to keep the payment very small in increment so that it takes hundreds or thousands of playthroughs to actually result in a meaningful number of CP. That helps eliminate the profitability of third-party gold seller-like companies gaming the system, as well as fleetmakes making a substantial impact. If time is only counted once per mission per character, it greatly reduces the potential for abuse again.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 40
10-29-2010, 01:03 PM
I think UGC should follow the same rules of open source software. If you want to create it for everyone else to consume, go ahead. But you do it for free. Cryptic should spell that out in advance. Creating episodes is for your entertainment only.

I personally won't do any of the UGC missions for the first couple months. I'm going to wait until one of the more active players puts together a guide of the better episodes before I start going through them. Mainly because I don't want to play garbage episodes. And if Cryptic starts paying for UGC that is what we will get, garbage episodes. You think B'Tran is bad...
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:23 PM.