Lt. Commander
I feel there could be a little change in the ranking of players. Make it longer here is my idea.

Ensign lvl 1-10: Get command of a warp capable shuttle attached to spacedock & Command a Crewman level bridge officer. Mk 1 equipment

Lieutenant Juinor Grade Lvl 10-20:Command Runabout or Command Fighter craft(Tactical),Repair ship(Engineering),Scout(Science) & Ensign Level Bridge Officer. Mk 2 equipment.

Lieutenant Lvl 20-30:Tier 1 ships. Mk 3 & 4 Equipment.

Lieutenant Commander Lvl 30-40:Tier 2 ships. Mk 5 & 6 Equipment.

Commander Lvl 40-50:Tier 3 ships. Mk 7 & 8 Equipment.

Captain Lvl 50-60:tier 4 ships. Mk 9 & 10 Equipment.

Rear Admiral Lower Half Lvl 60-70:Get the unlock to promote a bridge officer to the rank of Captain Tier 5 ships. Mk 11 & 12 Equipment.

Rear Admiral Lvl 70-80: Retrofit ships.Mk 13 & 14 Equipment.

Vice Admiral Lvl 80-90:Mk 14 & 15 Equipment.

Admiral:Lvl 90-100:Mk 16 & 17 Equipment.

Fleet Admiral:Maybe level 100-110 or special unlocked rank?Mk 18 Equipment
Lt. Commander
# 2
10-30-2010, 09:36 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyron_Jara
I feel there could be a little change in the ranking of players. Make it longer here is my idea.

Ensign lvl 1-10: Get command of a warp capable shuttle attached to spacedock & Command a Crewman level bridge officer. Mk 1 equipment

Lieutenant Juinor Grade Lvl 10-20:Command Runabout or Command Fighter craft(Tactical),Repair ship(Engineering),Scout(Science) & Ensign Level Bridge Officer. Mk 2 equipment.

Lieutenant Lvl 20-30:Tier 1 ships. Mk 3 & 4 Equipment.

Lieutenant Commander Lvl 30-40:Tier 2 ships. Mk 5 & 6 Equipment.

Commander Lvl 40-50:Tier 3 ships. Mk 7 & 8 Equipment.

Captain Lvl 50-60:tier 4 ships. Mk 9 & 10 Equipment.

Rear Admiral Lower Half Lvl 60-70:Get the unlock to promote a bridge officer to the rank of Captain Tier 5 ships. Mk 11 & 12 Equipment.

Rear Admiral Lvl 70-80: Retrofit ships.Mk 13 & 14 Equipment.

Vice Admiral Lvl 80-90:Mk 14 & 15 Equipment.

Admiral:Lvl 90-100:Mk 16 & 17 Equipment.

Fleet Admiral:Maybe level 100-110 or special unlocked rank?Mk 18 Equipment
Completely ignore the equipment available (because that's not part of my point) this is essentially how our rank system should be. No skipping ranks, ten levels for each rank. However, I very sadly doubt cryptic will EVER give ten levels to all the ranks we even do have...
Lt. Commander
# 3
10-30-2010, 09:44 AM
I like the idea. Anything that alludes to giving the game longer-lasting appeal is ok in my book. Good thinking =)
Lt. Commander
# 4 Count me in.
10-30-2010, 11:03 AM
Seriously - not a bad idea. The notion that an ensign would commonly be given command of even a Miranda-class is silly.
Lt. Commander
# 5
10-30-2010, 12:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angry_Black_Man
Seriously - not a bad idea. The notion that an ensign would commonly be given command of even a Miranda-class is silly.
There were cadets commanding (and quite successfully for a time) a defiant class ship in Deep Space 9. I wouldn't think it'd be too far fetched to think that an actually commissioned ensign, with a bit more experience, could be in command of a ship that only has a crew of tens of people. I mean, look at when the NCC-1701-C came into the future, the Federation was in a (losing) war with the Klingons. Then you have people saying that they don't know if either side can survive a war with the Romulans again. Then there's the Borg who literally destroyed a fleet of ships at Wolf 359 like it was nothing (to say nothing of other Borg attacks). Even look at the off-screen war between Cardassia and the Federation, it was supposed to have been quite costly for both sides (losses in the millions). There's also short war with the Klingons in Deep Space 9 which was mounting up to be very bad for the Federation, followed by the Dominion War in which BOTH the Federation and Klingons were coming to conclusions that they'd probably lose (thus dragging Romulans along for the ride).

Considering all of these times where the Federation has been afraid of, or devastated by, war I would think it's safe to assume that in a pinch they would be more than happy to (and have done at times) place younger and less experienced officers in command positions. Even Wolf 359 alone was quite a loss, considering those were the only ships they could get there in time (meaning their absence would strain on the rest of Starfleet) you have to consider the manpower behind it. How many thousands of fully trained personnel were lost there that must've taken several years to replace.

In truth, the Federation probably should never have survived many of these conflicts. And now we're in a war with how many belligerents? Federation, Klingons, Undine, Borg, True Way terrorists, multiple Romulan factions (though only two are significant), Hirogen, even Terran Federation giving us trouble because they're bored, and Iconians to top it all off with many other powers playing lesser roles in the war. The entire galaxy is in turmoil and in the past the Federation had problems with just the Klingons or Dominion alone. They should be screaming for new officers right now by all rights.
Lt. Commander
# 6
10-30-2010, 12:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyron_Jara

i like these 2 ideas, it gives the ensign rank a starter priod. and it also gives us the the chance to play as a lt jr. but i think they should have it like they have the adm. level 1-5 as a ensign and 6-10 lt jr grade. the ensign should be given a fighter and lt jr the shuttle/runnabout.
everything elese is already in game and should stay the same imo.
Lt. Commander
# 7
10-30-2010, 02:35 PM
It would be nice to do something to change things up from the early levels, but I don't think this is the best way to go about it. If you've played with the runabout in the game, you'll know that it pretty much sucks. It simply is too limited with one ensign universal slot and very poor weapons configuration. The first levels of the game are already the worst with the Miranda. What we need is more specialization earlier in the game, not further gimpage. From a gameplay standpoint forcing people to play 10 levels in a Runabout (as it currently exists in the game) is simply a loser.

A better choice, in my opinion, would be to leave the Miranda as the base ship, but at Lt. allow players to specialize. Tactical officers could command an attack fighter, weaker than the Miranda in terms of hull/shields, but more maneuverable, and with an extra ensign tactical BO. The Delta Flyer could be the science vessel with better shields, but weaker hull, and extra science BO. Meanwhile there could be a Miranda refit (actually the original conny would be better, but it's a special item) with an extra engineering BO for the cruiser captain.

As far as the ranking system goes, it is flawed, but I think it should just be left as it is. If anything 1-4 could be ensign, 5-8 could be Lt.Jg and 8-10 could be Lt. Arguably the current ranking system should have been stretched out more so that we don't have tons of admirals flying around, but it would be too hard to change it up at this point.
Lt. Commander
# 8
10-30-2010, 03:27 PM
The problem is that it is too late. If this system was added during Closed or Open Beta, then it would not be a problem except for people staying at Ensign and Lt for too long. 6 months after the game is launched would cause immense problems for numerous people. People don't want to lose their ships because someone decides that changing the ranks around is a good idea. Adding the various early level ships you proposed as Tier 1 ships would be a good idea to add some variety for that level range.
Lt. Commander
# 9
10-30-2010, 04:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by starkaos View Post
The problem is that it is too late. If this system was added during Closed or Open Beta, then it would not be a problem except for people staying at Ensign and Lt for too long. 6 months after the game is launched would cause immense problems for numerous people. People don't want to lose their ships because someone decides that changing the ranks around is a good idea. Adding the various early level ships you proposed as Tier 1 ships would be a good idea to add some variety for that level range.
ok but how about keep everyone who has attained there rank alone. Create a new beggining for any new toons made. Give them some sort of different loot maybe minus tiers etc. Then they would have little ships fighters shuttles runabout till lieutenant and then they start from where the game starts now.
Lt. Commander
# 10
10-30-2010, 04:33 PM
Nagorak has the best idea of how to implement it should the devs chose to do so. Lt. Commanders would be the same level under both systems, but there is three ranks between level 1 and level 10 instead of just one. I don't consider the tutorial as Ensign to be part of the ranking system.