Lt. Commander
In order to create a viable game economy, I believe it is necessary that each faction contribute something, and that a merchant/trader faction be created for those players interested in crafting, transporting, and selling merchandise. Fortunately, the roles and contributions of each faction are suggested by Trek canon.

The Roles of the 4 Factions:

Fed Faction: Is able to Farm 'Science' components from Anomalies that occur in game. Science components are likely to be named for elements and energies such as 'Energetic Antiprotons' or 'Dark Matter Particles' etc.

Klingon Faction: Is able to collect 'Salvage' component drops from destroyed ships in the game. Salvage may be split into categories named for starship components 'Damaged EPS Conduit' and similar items.

Romulan Faction: Is able to collect 'Captured Data' component drops from destroyed ships and enemies. Captured Data may include things such as 'Engineering Drafts' or 'Classified Reports' or 'Experimental Results' etc.

Merchant Faction: This would be a new faction of civilian merchants and traders who ply the spacelanes in moderately armed merchant craft. Allowed races would of course include the Ferengi, but may be any race in the game because every race has civilian merchants and traders.

The merchant faction starter ship may be the 'Merchantman' from the Star Trek movies and TNG, perhaps culminating in the Ferengi Marauder at top tier. Merchant ships would tend to receive bonuses to shields and engines, since they will often need to travel great distances or evade hostile forces and run blockades. They may be the only ships in the game to have more weapons aft than forward, since they will tend to fight defensively and not aggressively.

This faction would receive missions such as delivering supplies, running blockades, defending convoys, building equipment, and smuggling illicit goods. They would receive no component drops (Not Science, nor Data, nor Salvage) but would receive 'recipe' drops that show how to combine drops from other races into various goods (Green, Blue, and Purple ship and personal equipment, as well as decorations that can be placed in and on ships in the future, and possibly new tailor options.)

The player economy would be revitalized with such an arrangement. Each faction would have components that they could sell on the exchange, while the merchant faction would be able to buy these components and sell back completed goods.

Finally, the merchants should be the only faction able to enter all the other faction's stations and trade at their exchanges. Thus the merchants will have a secondary role of moving goods to where they are needed. If there is a glut of product X on the Fed side it can be moved to the Klingon side, and vice-versa.

The neutral merchant stations (which already exist in game) would have all products posted for Gold Pressed Latinum, giving this currency a reason to exist. Thus any faction could visit the neutral stations to purchase from the universal exchanges there, but they'd need to convert their credits to GPL at the Dabo tables first. (Or sell their components to the merchants at these exchanges and collect GPL that way.)

Thank you for your consideration.
Lt. Commander
# 2
10-31-2010, 08:46 AM
This is an excellent idea.

So everyone would still be able to collect data samples, but every once in a while the feds would gain an additional science component?

I like the idea of Klingons getting these extra components from combat, but I wonder if there is a different, more clandestine, way for the Romulan faction to farm these Captured Data components.
Lt. Commander
# 3
10-31-2010, 07:29 PM
i like the idea... but it is very ambitious.

would you accept a "watered down" version? one that exists in the frameowrk of the existing game?

i propose giving each faction their own economic system, with their own currencies.

for now Fed, klingon, and ferengi(for now ferrengi would be AI).
then later romulan.

each has access to the same equipment and items currently sold on the exchange.

but when you post on the exchange you ask for a particular currency for you price.

the non-monetary, replicator savy, feds can use energy credits.
the ferrengi can use gold pressed latinum strips
and the klingon can use their currency... and so on
but all items would be posted so that every one would have access... the trick is getting the right currency!

as the exchange is now most items can be purchased by both sides easily.
however with bridge officers, you see strange varying prices on either side depending on what tactics and skills either one uses.
certain skills in the EMpire or more sought after then ones on the fed side.

this way a player can try to keep the other faction from purchasing certian technology, unless an opposing player gets their hands on the proper currency.

likewise you can find an item that the other side values greatly (especially phasrs and beams on the fed side) and sell them for the other side's currency and accumulate foreign currency to make purchases for yourself in the future.

in most cases we want to stream line a process for simplicty.

but when it comes to economics, adding a little inefficiency might add some amount fo thrill to the game and complexity!

some players will just stick to their currency.
others my start playing the role of a investment banker, farmer, or gun runner!

also we should be taking latinum more seriously in this game!

in all the series, latinum is the only real way to do business outside your empire/federaiton.

and where ever there is latinum... the ferrengi are never far behind!

i think adding a little complexity to the super simple and almost redundent energy credit economy we have right now may make the game more rewarding to play!
Lt. Commander
# 4
10-31-2010, 10:05 PM
Enlighten me about somthing - why does this game need an economy like the one you describe?

As far as I can tell, this game is about shooting things and blowing stuff up. The economy, such as it is, is all about trading of items between players that allow us to then go out and blow stuff up. Why do we need a part of it to be trade, apart from immersion and RP?
Lt. Commander
# 5
11-01-2010, 01:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by draco84oz View Post
Enlighten me about somthing - why does this game need an economy like the one you describe?

As far as I can tell, this game is about shooting things and blowing stuff up. The economy, such as it is, is all about trading of items between players that allow us to then go out and blow stuff up. Why do we need a part of it to be trade, apart from immersion and RP?
Me thinks the answer to your question is in your own comment after the word "apart."