Lt. Commander
This will most likely be an unpopular topic, considering some players don't like the idea of C-Store charging for some things ingame.
But try to keep it civil.

I've been wondering if this may be possible.

For reasons of my own, I don't like the repetive nature of collecting Emblems ingame.
Coupled with the sheer number required (because you need 25-30 for a basic level item, 100 or so for things like shields, engines, deflectors), this means I stopped gathering MarkXI (and in the future, probably MarkXII) gear.

So, for an alternative for casual players like me, could they put Emblems in C-Store for purchase?

I estimate a reasonable price would be about 1 dollar=100 Emblems.
That way, 10 dollars gets you 1000 Emblems.

By my calculations, 1000 Emblems would fit out one ship completely and around 5 characters (your playable Captain and their ground BOFFs).

I wouldn't even object if it was per Captain and not account wide.
20 dollars and both my Captains are geared up, that doesn't seem bad.

So, opinions please.
And keep it nice.
You can disagree with my views, as long as we don't descend into plasma fire.
Lt. Commander
# 2
10-31-2010, 08:07 AM
I don't think they'll ever put Emblems in the game; precisely because of the uproar it would cause among the fan-base. Paying to advance, rather then playing to advance, never works out well in games, IMO.
Lt. Commander
# 3
10-31-2010, 08:23 AM
I think it is inevitable that emblems will wind up in the C-store eventually.

The logic of the C-Store has always been thus: Anything you can get in the C-store is either

A) Something purely cosmetic

or

B) Something you can get in the game anyway for free.

Purchasing emblems would fill category B.
Lt. Commander
# 4
10-31-2010, 08:28 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintAdalberto
B) Something you can get in the game anyway for free.

Purchasing emblems would fill category B.
Emblems are a currency. You do not get that in the game for free. It has to be worked for.

Forget the Emblems entirely. Take it to it's base idea: I want to buy purple gear for cash rather then play the game to get it. Do you believe someone should be allowed to buy the best weapons, shields, etc for cash? Should I be allowed to go to the c-store and buy a Mk XII purple antiproton beam array for $1.00?
Lt. Commander
# 5
10-31-2010, 08:35 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tilarta View Post
This will most likely be an unpopular topic, considering some players don't like the idea of C-Store charging for some things ingame.
But try to keep it civil.

I've been wondering if this may be possible.

For reasons of my own, I don't like the repetive nature of collecting Emblems ingame.
Coupled with the sheer number required (because you need 25-30 for a basic level item, 100 or so for things like shields, engines, deflectors), this means I stopped gathering MarkXI (and in the future, probably MarkXII) gear.

So, for an alternative for casual players like me, could they put Emblems in C-Store for purchase?

I estimate a reasonable price would be about 1 dollar=100 Emblems.
That way, 10 dollars gets you 1000 Emblems.

By my calculations, 1000 Emblems would fit out one ship completely and around 5 characters (your playable Captain and their ground BOFFs).

I wouldn't even object if it was per Captain and not account wide.
20 dollars and both my Captains are geared up, that doesn't seem bad.

So, opinions please.
And keep it nice.
You can disagree with my views, as long as we don't descend into plasma fire.

I don't see this happening unless the game goes F2P.
Lt. Commander
# 6
10-31-2010, 08:36 AM
This is something i promise you "never" will happen.

Because no matter how many changes in their policy they have made since launch one thing has remained firm.
That the C-Store would never have any "major game changin" items in it.
Being able to buy Emblems would have a massive impact on gameplay.
Lt. Commander
# 7
10-31-2010, 08:38 AM
I do not enjoy the c-store at all, but it exists and it is one of their primary revenue streams. I doubt they will abandon it, and I doubt they will stock it purely with cosmetic items after having successful item sales there. In fact, I do expect to see exclusive very rare weapons/items/mission rewards there soon. It is already beginning.

The refit ships available in the c-store can be gotten in-game for free. By 'working' for it. I fail to see the distinction. They will surely add all these things to the store in time as they perceive a market for it. As I said, the model for the C-store appears to be that the item is A) Purely cosmetic or B) available for free (yes, by working for it, just like most 'free' things. TANSTAAFL.)
Lt. Commander
# 8
10-31-2010, 08:42 AM
Quote:
I do not enjoy the c-store at all, but it exists and it is one of their primary revenue streams. I doubt they will abandon it, and I doubt they will stock it purely with cosmetic items after having successful item sales there. In fact, I do expect to see exclusive very rare weapons/items/mission rewards there soon. It is already beginning.

The refit ships available in the c-store can be gotten in-game for free. By 'working' for it. I fail to see the distinction. They will surely add all these things to the store in time as they perceive a market for it. As I said, the model for the C-store appears to be that the item is A) Purely cosmetic or B) available for free (yes, by working for it, just like most 'free' things. TANSTAAFL.)

Sure lets make everything ingame as expensive as possible and then sell it in the C-Store too.
Lt. Commander
# 9
10-31-2010, 08:45 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schneemann View Post
Sure lets make everything ingame as expensive as possible and then sell it in the C-Store.

This seems to be the model, yes. Simply compare the investment in time to acquire a refit ship after the initial sample versus the ability to purchase the ship for cash in the c-store.

It has been happening already. It is part of the game mechanic.
Lt. Commander
# 10
10-31-2010, 08:49 AM
Quote:
This seems to be the model, yes. Simply compare the investment in time to acquire a refit ship after the initial sample versus the ability to purchase the ship for cash in the c-store.

It has been happening already. It is part of the game mechanic.
It's bad enough they are already doing so, and that people are apparently buying those ships. No need to also ask them to expand this "model" even further like the OP does.

The real question should be if the current number of emblems needed is reasonable, or if it should be reduced. Accepting whatever they want to charge and then ask to pay extra to get it easier is kinda crazy.^^