Lt. Commander
# 1 I want to play Poker and Tongo
11-01-2010, 10:30 AM
I would like to know if and when Poker is gonna make it into the game?

and Tongo, I wanna play tongo. I mean Dabo is alright and all but watching all those DS9 episodes that featured tongo was just kick butt. And I would love to play it.

any comments, what do you think
Lt. Commander
# 2
11-01-2010, 10:31 AM
Agreed, Go Tongo and Poker!
Lt. Commander
# 3
11-01-2010, 10:37 AM
Well, its like this. If you live most of your life in the game, then it makes sense that you would get bored and want to play games within the game. However, if you live most of your life in the real world and only get to play video games a little, you probably want to play the actual game. Now, since the majority of players fall into the second category, it makes more sense for the Devs to spend their time working on actual missions and the like than on games within the game for the minority that spends most of their time playing.
Lt. Commander
# 4
11-01-2010, 10:46 AM
its more from the fact that I can't stand Dabo, since its just set your slots, set your bet to 100 EC and push button, wait 36 seconds, push button again...and again...and again...and again.

I'd rather earn my latinum with a game that's more......engaging. and requires me to actually play the game.
Lt. Commander
# 5
11-01-2010, 11:01 AM
I would love to be able to invite others to my ship and play poker at the poker table in the ships lounge. Most of my real life friends live far far away as my wife and kids are a military family. It would be a nice "use" of ship interiors.
Lt. Commander
# 6
11-01-2010, 11:11 AM
Does anyone know how to play tongo?

I don't think the producers knew, much less the writers
Lt. Commander
# 7
11-01-2010, 11:21 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SP3CTREnyc
Does anyone know how to play tongo?

I don't think the producers knew, much less the writers
They writers of DS9 didn't know either: there were never any formal rules. The big problem is that Tongo was never consistently displayed in DS9 (there are two versions of the board floating around - the more detailed one is in "Change of Heart")

I created some rules a while back and have PSD for the cards:
(=| here's the tongo board with reference shot - each component is a layer and I can animate the board |=)

(=| Deck/game overview (WIP) |=)

(=| Slide 4 (WIP): Cards Bonuses or "Portfolios" |=)
I have a few more slides done and even playtested a few card permutations by hand (printing out and coloring cards myself).
Lt. Commander
# 8
11-01-2010, 11:48 AM
Poker would be easy..

Tongo is a completely different thing.
You would have to make it up from scratch, and have the licence holder approve it.

it would be part monopoly, part gin rummy with a splash of roulette

how to win, contruct a winning 'hand' and have that hand best any other current hand

card are drawn from the stack that stops in front of you after that last player spins the wheel

Special cards allow you to take other players cards 'aquire' prevent them from taking
your cards 'evade' or give a player a card 'sell' ect..

As cards are discarded, they are placed face down in particular places around the wheel
that give all the players clues as to what types of cards are still in play.

Taking a card from the down pile requires payment to the pot, all the special cards
are shuffled separately and split between 2 special downcard places out of the 6 - 8
downcard areas...drawing a card from that spot, costs more. As said earlier, when
it is your turn you can either pay to draw the card in front of you.
discard a card..for free
send a card to another player 'hmmm partner for the moment? there is only 1 winner, right?'
skip your turn
announce your winning hand and try to take the pot.
after your turn you always spin the wheel

during other turns, you can use special cards to counter the current player from doing stuff
based on the special card.

Whew...........something like that

almost forgot...3 types of cards
the normal ones....to make a winning hand
action cards...let you do stuff (special stack)
bad cards...keep you from exposing to win the pot, cannot be discarded, but can be given
to another player...if you also have the special card that allows that.

as in, your turn..you show the 'sell card', place that in the special discards...then give the bad card
to a player...if they cannot evade it.
also bad card might dictate who you can give it to..player to the left, right..whatever.
The worst card in the game ..if given, causes the victom to suffer a full bankrupcy and they have
to discard all thier cards and start over :p
Lt. Commander
# 9
11-01-2010, 11:54 AM
Here are some of the suggested rules for tongo that StarbasePrime and I were discussing:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren_Kitlor
Actually, I was thinking of having the dice have color-coded values depending on the side it lands.

The cards themselves have four colors from the shows:
  • Pink
  • Babyblue
  • Pastel green
  • Pastel Yellow
From this, it would make sense if the dice rewarded your color count on your cards (some cards have more of a particular color than others).

even further, I considered having the various symbols to denote values on the cards
  • Bricks
  • Bars
  • Strips/Slips

Bricks appear on both the circular and rectangle cards in the shows.
Bars only appear on the rectangular cards
Strips/Slips only appear on the cicular cards.

My idea is that a standard 4-sided dice has three face that share a value. (i.e. rolling a four means either the base or summit of the dice displays teh value).

well, there are three place for this to occur.

I would suggest that a landing of the dice would determine the color but the specific side of the pyramid facing the player would determine which value increased.

(i.e. you roll a green and the brick symbol faces you - meaning your assets appreciate in value).

From here, players could either place their cards on the market (or if broke, place them in the margin).

The margin is the outermost ring and functions like a mortgage. You own it still but cannot collect winnings each turn until you pay off the margin (mortgage). This is like monopoly in that regard.

Alternatively, you can sell your assets to other players by place them in the innermost circle (the exchange). This lets other players know that a particular card is for sale. You collect winnings on it until purchased (which can happen at any time). However, the latinum accrued via an exchange card are kept on the card (these are liquid assets - easily pawned off). Players can collect all or none of the liquid assets each turn. However, another player may purchase the card.

There's a multiple for indexing on the market (i.e. putting a card in the inner circle). You accrue at 2x the die roll. However, the other players may "buy" the card" for 1/2 of the total value in liquid assets+their die roll their turn. You gain half the liquid assets on a purchase but the die roll value goes into a pot. This gives a risk v. reward for having items on the exchange.

It's quite complicated on paper but really not much harder than monopoly (and quite easy if a computer handles the math in STO).
Quote:
That's an interesting point.

I had considered the concept of having the "upperhalf" of cards be the gain and the lower-half be the loss. I.e. some cards are simply bad to have under certain conditions.
The patterns on the cards are quite consistent.

There are the thick-border cards - which I considered making face cards or "Market Leaders."

So, yes, the entire concept is very similar to monopoly (with a touch of poker). A "Full Consortium" is having all the color icons of a particular color on the upper halves (i.e. for each icon you've got a card that fills that in with the same color).

Ultimately, I think the safest bet is to base Tongo around the DS9 episode in Season 6 (?): it had the most advanced and beautiful board and a unified look. Past seasons were inconsistent - so I'll take the most strategically interesting one any day.

Right now, I'm getting the rules organized and hoping to show a few example rounds of the game (via images). they'd highlight different play mechanics.

It's quite abstract but images will make it congeal in our heads.
Quote:
I'll cover the following:
  • the card designs (and how to read your cards),
  • the board (which relates to Ferengi Financial Calendar), and, lastly,
  • the various actions that you can engage in (confront is very similar to both "calling a bluff" in poker mixed with property portfolios from Monopoly)

Cards have three factors in determining their value:
  • Top or bottom: how much it earns or mortgages for (yes, the cards do have a top and bottom due to sharing that "rosarch" inkblock design - it's identical on each after examining stills from "Chang of Heart").
  • Rectangles, Squares, Ovals corresponding to bars, strips and slips.
  • Colors representing various industry sectors (based on real-world economics)
  • Banding on outer-edge of the card (representing a full latinum brick in the given color or industrial sector)

All of this seems complex which is why doing this video treatment is essential toward getting it explained correctly the first time. A picture's worth a thousand words but even words only get to make latinum once.

From a design standpoint, latinum is the only currency accepted in bets (meaning you either need to get good at Dabo or have a "friend" spot you a slip).

It's quite complex on paper. However, if a computer game automatically calculated the color values per card, it'd be quite easy to play (but hard to master).
Lt. Commander
# 10
11-01-2010, 01:29 PM
i would actually like to see whats the game that tuvok and the one borg kid was playing?
Closed Thread