Lt. Commander
# 1 Cryptic Studios and MMO's
11-02-2010, 09:08 AM
Here is somthing a little old i found that seems pretty spot on. Maybe the people at cryptic should give this a watch.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/vide...Future-of-MMOs

Think outside the box and go were noone has gone before
Lt. Commander
# 2
11-02-2010, 09:24 AM
Very interesting overview.

Liked it.
Lt. Commander
# 3
11-02-2010, 09:35 AM
Well, if you bother to pay attention to the whole video, it seems like the video is largely a blueprint of Cryptic's current paradigm. There's just a few things they're missing from that video. And yet despite having pretty much fallen in line with that video, Cryptic's MMOs still seem to suck...
Lt. Commander
# 4
11-02-2010, 10:30 AM
well it kinda makes sense, think about what the overall big picture requests have been by the community

more ships, better ground content(imho the weekly episodes are a good step foreward), DEPTH(interiors, crews) UGC, Fleet Content(bases, ships, crafting, etc...)

persistant universe (kinda Eve Style) that is the one thing I wish there was(who wouldn't want to plot your course and just begin exploring, go to old encounters that were shown in the series, search for missing vessels, first contacts (not this is a lot thats already been suggested and mentioned as to ... future plans)

its all about whats being worked on, and how long we are willing to wait for it
Lt. Commander
# 5
11-02-2010, 10:30 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metallurgist
Well, if you bother to pay attention to the whole video, it seems like the video is largely a blueprint of Cryptic's current paradigm. There's just a few things they're missing from that video. And yet despite having pretty much fallen in line with that video, Cryptic's MMOs still seem to suck...
seeing as all there MMO's are pretty much the same games with new skins
Lt. Commander
# 6
11-02-2010, 11:58 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borg-of-Borg
seeing as all there MMO's are pretty much the same games with new skins
Amen to that. You're not going to find any kind of technical MMO Nirvana in our lifetime at any rate, it's better to support a bit of diversity, before that word falls out of use.

Developer interaction here is almost worth the ticket, if you ask me. with a bit of game on top of that. Yeah it is not perfect, but nothing will ever be. Someone once said that if we found that one perfect place, we would be bored to death, so the struggle towards perfection is actually the reward, since the realm of perfection ends up like a prison to the human mind.

There is always something bolder, bigger, braver out there. Until you dig around and see the smoke and mirrors. Here we can talk with the mirror operators at least, truly adds a new dimension to that smoke.

And that is a good thing.

---
Lt. Commander
# 7
11-02-2010, 12:06 PM
"Call of Guitarcraft"

roflmao. great video
Lt. Commander
# 8
11-02-2010, 12:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metallurgist
I happen to enjoy STO in its current form. Sure, it could be better, but I hardly think it "sucks".

also watching his video a few things come to mind...like WWII Online...people have tried new genres of MMOs...they just haven't worked out
Lt. Commander
# 9
11-02-2010, 12:26 PM
Planetside is a MMO shooter, it's not like things have been completely one-sided all this time. The pay to play model failed to attract enough shooter fans maybe. It was quite lively for a while though, and Sci-Fi too. I'm not a shooter fan actually, but the battles there were ahhh... glorious. And it was Sci-Fi, oh yes I mentioned that. :p

---
Lt. Commander
# 10
11-02-2010, 12:59 PM
STO and Cryptic are doing some of the things he said will be the future of MMO's. Playing on one server user generated content not trying to compete with WoW.

User generated has a lot of potential. There are some really creative people on these boards.