Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
I saw Chaddington's post in wondering if anyone did Episode 3 on Elite, and I decided to try it out with one of my Best Geared characters, my Klingon Tactical Officer. I honestly can say this mission on Elite is effectively impossible.

I been attempting it for 3 hours with a team full of Medics with Medical Tricorder and Vascular Regenerators and it wasn't enough to keep my Away Team alive. Had to abort the mission a few times to go heal my Critical Wounds, since Critical Regenerators are extremely rare drops and the only way to heal them is by a CMO. So I gave up.


If you want a really fast way to get that Injury Accolade, this is the mission to do it.




I'll be honest, Mobs on Elite being baddly imbalanced has been bothering me literally since launch, since some of you well know for yourself in encounters with Klingon Swordmasters, Dual Wield Mobs, and Rapid Fire mobs.

Cryptic really, really, really needs to go back and properly rebalance these mobs so they aren't insanely overpowered, but instead a real fun challenge.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 2
10-31-2010, 12:38 AM
i had that acolade on "Normal" setting, of course, i was alone, just me and my BO and Security Officers. i Dealed 20,000 Damage to single Devidian and was killed by my attack lol.
it was pretty not easy to do it without alot of BOs, but overall it was fun.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 3
10-31-2010, 12:38 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azurian View Post
I saw Chaddington's post in wondering if anyone did Episode 3 on Elite, and I decided to try it out with one of my Best Geared characters, my Klingon Tactical Officer. I honestly can say this mission on Elite is effectively impossible.

I been attempting it for 3 hours with a team full of Medics with Medical Tricorder and Vascular Regenerators and it wasn't enough to keep my Away Team alive. Had to abort the mission a few times to go heal my Critical Wounds, since Critical Regenerators are extremely rare drops and the only way to heal them is by a CMO. So I gave up.


If you want a really fast way to get that Injury Accolade, this is the mission to do it.




I'll be honest, Mobs on Elite being baddly imbalanced has been bothering me literally since launch, since some of you well know for yourself in encounters with Klingon Swordmasters, Dual Wield Mobs, and Rapid Fire mobs.

Cryptic really, really, really needs to go back and properly rebalance these mobs so they aren't insanely overpowered, but instead a real fun challenge.
FIRST, thank you for the heads up
second, I dont really blame Cryptic for this. Tons of players wanted a very harsh death penality and "challenge" So Cryptic gave it to them. I usually stay in the middle to see how things fan out.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 4
10-31-2010, 12:52 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by reon View Post
FIRST, thank you for the heads up
second, I dont really blame Cryptic for this. Tons of players wanted a very harsh death penality and "challenge" So Cryptic gave it to them. I usually stay in the middle to see how things fan out.
You misunderstand me, I'm not complaining about the Death Penality at all. (Though they can make Critical Regenerators drop more often or have the vendors sell them).

My complaint is that certain Mobs on Elite are not properly balanced with peoples play style. Right now, Borg and Undine on Elite are insanely easy. But you can't say the same for Remans (mind attacks are insane on Elite), Breen, and now the Devidians.

Could this be different with the upcoming Ground Combat chantes, I honestly don't know. But I just don't get the feeling these mobs are being tested on higher difficulty levels. If they are, I would appricate the Dev Team telling us.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 5
10-31-2010, 01:00 AM
Maybe try 3 Engineers with at least cover shield, dome, mines + cyro grenades. Tried the cryos (on normal) just to see what would happen and sure enuff it slowed 'em down a bit.

Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 6
10-31-2010, 01:05 AM
First, I agree it was insanely difficult - the mission took me 90 minutes, which was fine by me. But it was not impossible. I'm a scientist with 2 other sci BOs (1 healer, 1 for grav shift and such), 1 tac and 1 eng. Maybe that will give you an idea how to do it, I'm not sure.

Second, solo elite ground combat is indeed almost impossible in most cases. I wouldn't mind teaming up if this would result in much better rewards, but I didn't get anything significant during "What Lies Beneath". I read the difficulties will be adjusted once we get the new ground combat mechanics, let me search it for you ...
Gotcha.

Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 7
10-31-2010, 01:06 AM
So... 2 trys, and 4 hours later on elite: Finished.

2'nd time around i didn die untill i hit the final chamber (the Phantasm is a ****), but a little focus fire, and taking some chances (going in cloaked, to enable the consoles for one) made me win in the end.

Im not sure I would call this particular missions' mobs overpowered. I've met klingons that were far worse then theese, but remember: the setting is Elite. Not Advanced or nomal, and as such provides an exceptional challenge.

I think, and belive that you are a fairly skilled player from what I've seen, so in the end I am convinced that you can beat it, but it does take alot, I admit that.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 8
10-31-2010, 01:35 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Romulus_Prime View Post
Maybe try 3 Engineers with at least cover shield, dome, mines + cyro grenades. Tried the cryos (on normal) just to see what would happen and sure enuff it slowed 'em down a bit.

I have used that Tactic Before on my Federation Engineer on Elite, in using Covershields to limit the flow if NPCs and take them down 1 at a time. Unfortunately, Player Bridge Officers don't grant that type of intelligent play for Science or Tactical players.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faulgor View Post
First, I agree it was insanely difficult - the mission took me 90 minutes, which was fine by me. But it was not impossible. I'm a scientist with 2 other sci BOs (1 healer, 1 for grav shift and such), 1 tac and 1 eng. Maybe that will give you an idea how to do it, I'm not sure.

Second, solo elite ground combat is indeed almost impossible in most cases. I wouldn't mind teaming up if this would result in much better rewards, but I didn't get anything significant during "What Lies Beneath". I read the difficulties will be adjusted once we get the new ground combat mechanics, let me search it for you ...
Gotcha.

Well it may not be truly impossible, but got to admit, accumilating all those Critical Injuries does cause things to be further difficult.

And I thank you for the link, I just hope that these abilities are properly scaled in which there can't be any more "overpowered mobs".

Quote:
Originally Posted by anazonda View Post
So... 2 trys, and 4 hours later on elite: Finished.

2'nd time around i didn die untill i hit the final chamber (the Phantasm is a ****), but a little focus fire, and taking some chances (going in cloaked, to enable the consoles for one) made me win in the end.

Im not sure I would call this particular missions' mobs overpowered. I've met klingons that were far worse then theese, but remember: the setting is Elite. Not Advanced or nomal, and as such provides an exceptional challenge.

I think, and belive that you are a fairly skilled player from what I've seen, so in the end I am convinced that you can beat it, but it does take alot, I admit that.
I know, but you have to admit, their attacks would be at a level above Elite. And juding you had 4 hours, you had respawn quite alot.

But in the end, was it worth playing on Elite?
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 9
10-31-2010, 01:46 AM
Since they made difficulty levels, I've been asking for a fourth level. Here's how I would do it:

1. Normal: No death penaltly, foes normal. (Current Normal Setting)
2. Veteran: Injuries and Damage for defeat, foes normal.
3. Advanced: Injuries and Damage for defeat, foes hard. (Current Advanced setting)
4. Elite: Injuries and Damage for defeat, foes elite. (Current Elite setting)


Also, I would allow us the option of TURNING OFF XP (skill point) GAINS. Let us get the equipment and officers as usual, but let us freeze our skill points so we can stop leveling if we want to. One of the main reasons I don't use the difficulty settings is that it will make me level EVEN FASTER when I already level too fast.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 10
10-31-2010, 01:51 AM
Mojo, that's a good idea, however the drops should be better already on Veteran, and going even on a higher uncommon and rare rate on Advanced and Elite should have even a higher chance for very rare drops throughout the mission. I mean, come on, who can play on Elite with Level 51 foes, it's barely possible. So if you play against Level 37 foes for example, you would at least have some chance to get very rare MK VIII drops which could be good for fleet members who are not Admiral yet.
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:31 AM.