Lt. Commander
Okay, so I played the demo/trial the other day and quite liked it but can't make up my mind as it was a bit short.

I followed this game since I heard about it but was put off by early reviews and comments from people who played beta.

Just wondering how the game is getting along now, I saw a re-review on an mmo site recently giving it 7.5 or something which sounds promising but wanted to hear from players. Primarily I'm interested in ground combat, are they adding any more elements to this or is the space side of things always going to overshadow it?

Also, what's grouping like in game? Is it hard to find groups in game?

I often find myself waiting around for groups in mmo's which kind of takes away the fun for me, but saying that I don't want to solo all content because I may as well be playing offline!

Any help much appreciated.
Lt. Commander
# 2
11-02-2010, 03:59 PM
I think if you liked the demo, you'll like the game. You can expect more of what you enjoyed there, in addition to access to ground and space PvP (if you enjoy the idea of matching your captain and his ship against other players). The game and the quality is improving literally every week and the developers honestly listen to player feedback.

As for the ease of finding groups, there is an auto-team function you'll have the option of using that you may find useful. And if you find you don't mind playing solo, the game supports that as well.

I think I was in the same position as you when I played the beta and was considering purchasing the game. I played through roughly the same amount of content you see in the demo and I enjoyed it quite a bit and made the decision to buy (pre-order) it.

Of course, the game had its share of negative reviews on the forum, which was a bit confusing because I often found myself thinking "I'm having a lot of fun playing this.. should I not be?" because that's what I felt like after reading some of the reviews. As with any game, eventually you'll find elements that are important to you which the game might fall short on delivering, and for some players that leads to frustration. I'm sure you'll hear a fair share of that in this very thread, but I think it comes back to what I initially said: if you liked the demo, you'll like the game for a long while. Because it simply has a lot more of what you saw in the demo waiting to be enjoyed.
Lt. Commander
# 3
11-02-2010, 04:01 PM
Most of this game is a single player game, though there are places you need to have groups to be able to complete (Task force missions and fleet actions) finding groups for task force missions can be a pain unless you have a semi decent fleet, mostly because there really isnt a reason to run them more than once (if that) and fleet actions force group you with everyone thats already there.

Thats not to say you and a few friends cant get together and just plow though missions if you want (I like doing that on the elite setting).

game updates for new missions with the weekly episodes are thus far constant as are bug fixes (even though there are still some beta bugs present) it is not at all like it was when it was first reviewed but it still has a ways to go.

also if you need a referal key I have an extra one

STRAF-74FHC-P3K9N-NFPX8-GE366
Lt. Commander
# 4
11-02-2010, 04:02 PM
As far as grouping, I haven't actively sought out any groups, since my playtimes are, at best, erratic.

Instead, I have benefited from the auto-grouping feature of certain mission instances.
Lt. Commander
# 5
11-02-2010, 04:05 PM
If you like Star Trek, then I say pick up a box on the cheap and try it out for a month. You get a free month with every box purchase, so you should be able to judge for yourself in that time period if you want to continue playing and paying a sub.
Lt. Commander
# 6
11-02-2010, 04:06 PM
With the ability to create your own missions coming soon, you'll never have to worry about running out of things to do.

I mean that quite seriously: the tools are that fun, both playing the missions and also building them.
Lt. Commander
# 7
11-02-2010, 04:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack_Armstrong View Post
If you like Star Trek, then I say pick up a box on the cheap and try it out for a month. You get a free month with every box purchase, so you should be able to judge for yourself in that time period if you want to continue playing and paying a sub.
Good call, I think I'll do this tommorow.

Thanks for all your quick responses guys, very helpful
Lt. Commander
# 8
11-02-2010, 04:14 PM
Well, I play solo pretty much, not even in afleet, I find grouping to be pretty much non existant. I have leveled my fed to captain, got bored and rolled klingon once the weeklies started.

So far I've been playing pretty casually, I've been using the weeklies and the klingon content they added to level and it's been very enjoyable.

It depends on the type of gamer you are, if you are really really social, you are not going to enjoy the early game unless you spend a few days looking for a good fleet.

If you like RPG's and star trek you will find some really nice elements to the game, the bridge officers are fun, equpping them and leveling them up is one of the game's real strong points as you progress.

As far as the story goes and how interesting it is, I think taking your time in STO is important, the missions and story are pretty good, and you get some pretty neat ideas thrown at you along the way.

In another month hopefully the foundry will be in game and that will add a whole new layer to the existing gameplay.

Overall the Dev team is outstanding, the amount of hard work and TLC the game has recieved since Dsthal took the helm has been focused, well paced and obviously there has been a ton of extra effort by all of the devs.

I'd say if you enjoy star trek, RPGs and aren't a powergamer then buying STO is a good move, play a klingon!
Lt. Commander
# 9
11-02-2010, 04:15 PM
What I also like about STO is that it doesn't require as much regular attention as other MMOs. If you are often short on time like me on an average day, you can easily log on for just a single hour and still have fun in PvE or PvP. There's virtually no need to rush - in fact, some of the missions can even be relaxing (space really is beautiful in STO).
Also it's easy to just make a break from the game and come back later if you feel like it. I stopped playing for one or two months some time ago, but now I'm back and once more play passionately.

Concerning groups, there are also a number of chat channels in the game that promote people doing stuff together. Depending on what kind of gamer you are, there surely will be something for you.

Another thing that is awesome as well: STO allows grouping of players of a vastly different level, giving people the option to match their level to that of the group leader. This makes it even easier to get other players to join up and is especially useful once you have found a couple buddies or fleetmates who would love to group with you but usually play on a different tier.

So in short, I'd go with Armstrong's suggestion.
Lt. Commander
# 10
11-02-2010, 04:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack_Armstrong View Post
I agree. STO is a good game, its well balanced and has a lot of fun aspects including an active dev team. On a personal note, I think its worth the money.