Lt. Commander
# 11
11-02-2010, 05:45 PM
It can be a fun game when one is new to the game and are lvl up, learning the game.But just remember there is no end game content, only 1 PvP map called salvage were there is a objective, the rest of the maps are like a death arena, quite borring.

STO have no raids only 5 man missions called STF that are very bugged and impossible to do in a pug. But the weekly missions are good, you will enjoy them i think. STO only have one faction, the Klingon faction is a minigame, a PvP faction with only 8 missions, so you are wise to stick with the Federation faction in the beginning.This is not a social game, very heavy instanced so if you really want to group up trying to find a fleet is the way to go. Good luck and have fun.
Lt. Commander
# 12
11-02-2010, 05:48 PM
@OP:

Are you the descendant of Leviathan99?

Lt. Commander
# 13
11-02-2010, 06:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoduck360
@OP:

Are you the descendant of Leviathan99?

I'm glad I wasn't the only one thinking this.
Lt. Commander
# 14
11-02-2010, 06:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tranman1988 View Post
I'm glad I wasn't the only one thinking this.
I didn't want to say anything, but I was thinking the same thing.
Lt. Commander
# 15
11-02-2010, 06:28 PM
Hmm some things to think about, but mostly liking what I hear so far. I've got to be honest with myself, I won't have a massive amount of time to play because of work/kids etc at the moment, so the fact you can just pick up and play sounds nice. I was subbed to EVE a while ago, great game but way to involved for casual play.

In regard to the Leviathon question, nope nothing to do with me, also I always spell it wrong, so deffo not me!
Lt. Commander
# 16
11-02-2010, 06:43 PM
while the grouping stuff has been answered, i haven't seen your other questions answered yet, so i'll do what i can there

the space combat is the best part of the game, hands down and no questions asked (or at least, in my opinion, though it is shared in general by others). it's fun, very rarely gets boring, and is satisfying to see enemy ships explode as far as i've seen in these forums, space combat isn't gonna change much from what it is now.

ground combat is a bit more fast-paced, and i think it's just as good as space combat (in a different way, but still). It's easy at first, but later enemies get tougher, forcing you to think carefully and not rush into engagements. If you look at other threads, you're see some people complaining that ground combat is too slow, but the devs are already planning a "free aim" mode that will hopefully settle them down. I'm also in general agreement that ground combat is a bit unpolished and needs some work to live up to it's full potential (which it's getting, just needs some time), but it's still fun right now.

this is just my humble opinion, so make sure to listen to other's opinions as well
Lt. Commander
# 17
11-02-2010, 07:33 PM
All right, I'm going to be honest with you, I'm biased.

I've been a Trekker all my life. When I was a little girl, my friends had Barbies and Polly Pockets and me.. Well, I had "action figures" of Picard, Riker, Data, Geordi, Worf, Troi, Dr. Crusher, Yar, O'Brien, even Wesley. I had the Type 6 shuttlecraft, I had the Transporter and Bridge playsets, I had the Playmates ships. I had Star Trek posters, books, I read the comic, I watched all the reruns of all the shows, and each new episode of each new show as it came out, except ST:ENT, I was out of the country while it aired (but I'm watching it now on Netflix and StarTrek.com). I pre-ordered two different versions of the game, nabbed lifetime before the game launched.

And there are times when this game makes me want to strangle the devs. But, each time, it's turned out it's my tactics, or my build, or a bug. It's never been because of the design of the game, or the content they've put into it.

It's always either my fault, or a part of the natural growth process every MMO goes through. You'll hear the power-gamers whining about lack of content, because no dev team can keep up with a gamer dedicated to grinding away and devouring all content as soon as it's released. You'll hear cononists whining about the inclusion of outdated ships that have no right place in this part of the storyline. You'll hear non-trekkers whining about how how so many missions won't let you just "pew-pew" to solve the problems you encounter. You'll hear all the Klingons complain about how sparse their faction is, nevermind that they knew it was going to be PvP-oriented before the game ever launched.

Yes, you'll hear all this and more. But, if you're not going to take things, or yourself, too seriously, then this game is a blast. and even if I didn't have a lifetime sub, I'd get one now, it's worth it.
Lt. Commander
# 18
11-02-2010, 08:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katic View Post
All right, I'm going to be honest with you, I'm biased.

I've been a Trekker all my life. When I was a little girl, my friends had Barbies and Polly Pockets and me.. Well, I had "action figures" of Picard, Riker, Data, Geordi, Worf, Troi, Dr. Crusher, Yar, O'Brien, even Wesley. I had the Type 6 shuttlecraft, I had the Transporter and Bridge playsets, I had the Playmates ships. I had Star Trek posters, books, I read the comic, I watched all the reruns of all the shows, and each new episode of each new show as it came out, except ST:ENT, I was out of the country while it aired (but I'm watching it now on Netflix and StarTrek.com). I pre-ordered two different versions of the game, nabbed lifetime before the game launched.

And there are times when this game makes me want to strangle the devs. But, each time, it's turned out it's my tactics, or my build, or a bug. It's never been because of the design of the game, or the content they've put into it.

It's always either my fault, or a part of the natural growth process every MMO goes through. You'll hear the power-gamers whining about lack of content, because no dev team can keep up with a gamer dedicated to grinding away and devouring all content as soon as it's released. You'll hear cononists whining about the inclusion of outdated ships that have no right place in this part of the storyline. You'll hear non-trekkers whining about how how so many missions won't let you just "pew-pew" to solve the problems you encounter. You'll hear all the Klingons complain about how sparse their faction is, nevermind that they knew it was going to be PvP-oriented before the game ever launched.

Yes, you'll hear all this and more. But, if you're not going to take things, or yourself, too seriously, then this game is a blast. and even if I didn't have a lifetime sub, I'd get one now, it's worth it.

Love it and the sig. Are you single?

Quote:
Originally Posted by leviathon100
Okay, so I played the demo/trial the other day and quite liked it but can't make up my mind as it was a bit short.

I followed this game since I heard about it but was put off by early reviews and comments from people who played beta.

Just wondering how the game is getting along now, I saw a re-review on an mmo site recently giving it 7.5 or something which sounds promising but wanted to hear from players. Primarily I'm interested in ground combat, are they adding any more elements to this or is the space side of things always going to overshadow it?

Also, what's grouping like in game? Is it hard to find groups in game?

I often find myself waiting around for groups in mmo's which kind of takes away the fun for me, but saying that I don't want to solo all content because I may as well be playing offline!

Any help much appreciated.
Why? it is no harder than any other games to find groups, they are here.

Play it. Why should we sell it to you?

We are here for us, see if you can find a home. Really asking for such a thing suggested you should play solo because otherwise you would suggest you need the opinions of others. Not good for a StarFleet Captain or a general online gamer.

You want a social thing, go Farmville. Want some Star Trek, you're pickings are slim, but you currently can't get a "community" better than this.

If you are mmo for groups, go find one your style, want Star Trek with a little MMO, this is only game in town.

If we have to sell it to you, then you are the "masses" that games try to get. Don't be a mass, be a singularity.

EDIT. This is the same old thing, "Can I group" is there "groups/feets/guilds"?

Yes. Now "tools" may not be there, but why is that holding back any advantages to the "social" aspect? Do we NEED to give fleets tools, do we "NEEED" to give people a way to group? No.

It has always looked like we need "NEED" to give people a way to fit in. Fleets and Guilds add only a social group you can feel like being a part of. It's all part of fitting in. Star Trek is one of the few IP's that lets Individuals fit into the group they want.

Sorry about the last few lines. Good topic for comparative mythology and some ideas on "gangs". God we can even start evolutionary psychology arguments to this, went too far.

Sorry.
Lt. Commander
# 19
11-02-2010, 09:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by maina View Post
Love it and the sig. Are you single?
Thank you! .v_v.

But sorry, I'm engaged.
Lt. Commander
# 20
11-02-2010, 09:37 PM