Lt. Commander
# 21
11-02-2010, 09:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren_Kitlor
With the ability to create your own missions coming soon, you'll never have to worry about running out of things to do.

I mean that quite seriously: the tools are that fun, both playing the missions and also building them.
Sounds like someone got himself a Foundry Beta invite. Good for you Darren.
Lt. Commander
# 22
11-02-2010, 09:24 PM
There's still a few critical things that need to get fixed in the Foundry toolset but they're shaping up to be a great selling point for the game.

Why wait for developers to create the experiences you want to play? Why not take a hold of the stars and start forging your place in the game's universe?

The Foundry tools won't replace developer content. However, they will make this game grow in new and exciting ways. I've played a few missions that felt more exciting than many of the storyline patrols. I've seen environments that just haven't been seen in the game before. The devs are even adding features we haven't tested yet and new artwork too. Once you get past the learning curve (so far), the tools are fun and very powerful. There's a lot of stuff that just isn't used much in the game currently.

So, that's my selling point for the game.

I wish I could be more specific (and I will be more specific when the NDA is lifted). If any feature were a selling point, the Foundry is it. What the devs have confirmed is just the tip of the iceberg and they still have features they're working on and fine-tuning.

Yes, it's a tease. Yes, it's unfair to talk about it without much detail on what you can actually do. However, my hands are tied until the NDA comes off and the devs feel confident on pushing the tools to Tribble Test Server.

To the OP:
Best of luck!

If you need any help or spare gear in-game, just message me @darrenkitlor
Lt. Commander
# 23
11-02-2010, 09:44 PM
Quote:
There's still a few critical things that need to get fixed in the Foundry toolset but they're shaping up to be a great selling point for the game.

Why wait for developers to create the experiences you want to play? Why not take a hold of the stars and start forging your place in the game's universe?

The Foundry tools won't replace developer content. However, they will make this game grow in new and exciting ways. I've played a few missions that felt more exciting than many of the storyline patrols. I've seen environments that just haven't been seen in the game before. The devs are even adding features we haven't tested yet and new artwork too. Once you get past the learning curve (so far), the tools are fun and very powerful. There's a lot of stuff that just isn't used much in the game currently.

So, that's my selling point for the game.

I wish I could be more specific (and I will be more specific when the NDA is lifted). If any feature were a selling point, the Foundry is it. What the devs have confirmed is just the tip of the iceberg and they still have features they're working on and fine-tuning.

Yes, it's a tease. Yes, it's unfair to talk about it without much detail on what you can actually do. However, my hands are tied until the NDA comes off and the devs feel confident on pushing the tools to Tribble Test Server.

To the OP:
Best of luck!

If you need any help or spare gear in-game, just message me @darrenkitlor
You had better hope.

The minute I see, "5 ships to kill, but the dialogue is cool" you are sunk.
Lt. Commander
# 24
11-02-2010, 09:45 PM
the demo is restricted to the most horrible slow unfun part of the game, low tier 1!

the game gets exponentially better as you level out of LT
Lt. Commander
# 25
11-02-2010, 09:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by maina View Post
You had better hope.

The minute I see, "5 ships to kill, but the dialogue is cool" you are sunk.
Like I said, everyone on RedShirt server wants to talk about what you can do. However, the NDA is restricting us from saying what that is. Even with scanning, going here, or killing things, there's a lot you can do besides dialogue to make that interesting.

I know it's a tease. I know it's unbearable. However, once new features are added and the critical bugs are fixed, this will inject some new life into the game... at least after people get past the learning curve (the tools are deceptively easy to use but difficult to master).

I don't say this to boast but rather to share as much as I'm allowed to: from one Trekker to another. If i were on the other side of the beta, I'd want someone to say something - even if they can't go into specifics.
Lt. Commander
# 26
11-02-2010, 09:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by leviathon100
Okay, so I played the demo/trial the other day and quite liked it but can't make up my mind as it was a bit short.

I followed this game since I heard about it but was put off by early reviews and comments from people who played beta.

Just wondering how the game is getting along now, I saw a re-review on an mmo site recently giving it 7.5 or something which sounds promising but wanted to hear from players. Primarily I'm interested in ground combat, are they adding any more elements to this or is the space side of things always going to overshadow it?

Also, what's grouping like in game? Is it hard to find groups in game?

I often find myself waiting around for groups in mmo's which kind of takes away the fun for me, but saying that I don't want to solo all content because I may as well be playing offline!

Any help much appreciated.
I will share with you some things I LOVE about STO and why last month I decided it to finally save up and get that Lifetime sub!

1) Zero Gear Curve!! The thing that drives me crazy about WoW is the gear curve (better known as gearscore ><). Once new content is out in WoW, guess what, you have to go through the entire process of re-gearing your character in order to do the content. Pre 4.0.3, if you won a certain weapon you had to respec completely in order to do the top damage. In STO, if you have green/blue/purple Mark X gear at Vice Admiral 1, its not going to stop you from doing any of the Special Task Force, and you don't have to worry about people saying "sorry your gearscore is too low for The Cure" This allows all weapon types to be based on YOUR PLAYSTYLE if green is your favorite color, use Disruptors/Plasma if Red is, try Phaser/Anti-Proton you won't be hurting yourself, just the ships you are aiming at

2) Character Customization!! By far the best I've ever seen (yes I'm sure you've delt with it in the demo but this is a HUGE winner for me) other MMOs just want to get you started in the leveling process ASAP, in WoW you only get 5 options and their in-game recustomization hairstyles are the same thing, just from different races. My favorite thing to do isn't race to the level cap, it's seeing how well I can customize the PERFECT Bridge Officer (so far my main is the winner with an "alien" female). I also like to see how funny I can make my male Bridge Officers look. I've made my science officer so short, bold, and with a HUGE nose, that if Cryptic still had Bridge Officer Voices in-game, this guy would sound like George Costanza!

3) Diplomatic Missions. I've gotten very addicted to these, they are a mix of puzzle solving, question and answer, and deductive type of missions. They are almost like "mini-games" but in themselves are a blast to do! You never quite know what to expect, you could be negotiating for a prisoner exchange, say something wrong and BAM someone gets a flesh wound arm cut off.

4) Weekly Episodes A fairly new idea that has generated alot of buzz for STO! I just hate how they always end on a very very VERY high/addictive plot point then say "tune in next week same Trek Time, same Trek Channel!!" way to give me crack on the first day and then tell me I can't have any more for a week. But at the same time they give us all something to look forward to on Saturday

5) The Community and Dev. Relationship Cryptic doesn't have this "we own STO we will do what we want" They try their best to add in tons of things while listening as much as possible to the playerbase. They do their best to fine a nice middle ground that all players will benefit from. I was one of MANY active players and posters against a Death Penality. Some wanted it because of a challenge, others wanted a money sink. Cryptic came up with the Difficutly Slider (more of an option really) that would intergrate the Death Penality. Normal would offer no peanlity, Advance would offer some (and the reward would be increased) and Elite would offer even more. Thus it would not be forcing players into one certain playstyle. They also listen to us when we wanted Bridges at launch And if you ever need help, the forums usually are 80% friendly and constructive, when in doubt look for Comsic he's usually on the forums 22/7 I think he sleeps 2 hours a day I'm not sure though....

All-in-All nothing any of us can say will change what you will do about STO, you will do what feels right and will do what you feel is best for you Leviathon, but if you are having fun with STO and can agree with these points (and what the others have said) why not pick up a copy see how you like it for 30 days and go from there. STO has one of the BEST communities out there and we would all be glad to see you out there!!!
Lt. Commander
# 27
11-02-2010, 09:59 PM
Quote:
Like I said, everyone on RedShirt server wants to talk about what you can do. However, the NDA is restricting us from saying what that is. Even with scanning, going here, or killing things, there's a lot you can do besides dialogue to make that interesting.

I know it's a tease. I know it's unbearable. However, once new features are added and the critical bugs are fixed, this will inject some new life into the game... at least after people get past the learning curve (the tools are deceptively easy to use but difficult to master).

I don't say this to boast but rather to share as much as I'm allowed to: from one Trekker to another. If i were on the other side of the beta, I'd want someone to say something - even if they can't go into specifics.
I think what most people are upset about (and I can say I am a tiny bit) is that it's call FOUNDRY tools?
In Star Trek, if you are giving someone the option to make their own anyting it should clearly be called HOLODECK TOOLS :p
Lt. Commander
# 28
11-02-2010, 10:34 PM
Quote:

I'ts not a tease. We (some) know. new features, bugs, etc. It is limited huh? (sorry nda)

I like a few ideas you have had, I'm glad you got the spot.

I can't wait till the general public gets a hold of it. I'm still not sure the people they've picked know what they are doing. Good for Trek, good for bug fixing a mmo (did we mention Trek?). Not so good for design. Plus the tools are so limited.

I will say I support this 100%. I just have used systems way older than this companies. The tools have been so much more.....

When the tools are on Tribble, some of you are going to get a earful of what limits there are and how you made it to seem so cool. I expect this to be cool for STO. Only as a general feel. Sure I havn't got a play spot in closed beta, but are you going to tell me I have anywhere near the options I've had in other games? It's going to miss so much, scripting, database persistence, etc. I can Live with that, it's a mmo after all and there is room to grow.

EGO THING. Not a darn thing on those tools will come close to any other tool for design a game has done. Some good ideas so far, some bad ideas so far.

I hope I didn't rant too much but one last idea, learning curve? Sigh. UGC has been around a long time, I'd like to see your take on other tool sets.

Basic, it's the law of licensing.

You want to add a idea to your play test. People will want to make adventures for themselves. Ask for non-published, or c-store bought slots.

LAST EDIT!! My god this had nothing to do with the topic???? Crap I can't even claim a +1 post as a wanna be moderator. Just Fail.
Lt. Commander
# 29
11-02-2010, 11:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by maina View Post
When the tools are on Tribble, some of you are going to get a earful of what limits there are and how you made it to seem so cool. I expect this to be cool for STO. Only as a general feel. Sure I havn't got a play spot in closed beta, but are you going to tell me I have anywhere near the options I've had in other games? It's going to miss so much, scripting, database persistence, etc. I can Live with that, it's a mmo after all and there is room to grow.
Let's put it this way:
My first mission purposefully didn't involve killing or scanning anomalies.
I can't say what I did or how I accomplished it yet but I can say that the devs (and also Foundry authors) will surprise a lot of jaded fans - and the devs haven't released all the features to test yet.

As dstahl has said repeatedly, you can't make your own ship models or import your own textures. It's not a modding tool. However, that's not to say that the options available aren't powerful (they are) or that the missions are boring (they aren't - so long as you get familiar with the tools).

I expect to get an earful during the first six hours after the Foundry is released. However, I suspect those opinions will change over time.

Easy to learn, hard to master. That's all I can describe the tools as without actually describing what the features are.
Lt. Commander
# 30
11-02-2010, 11:03 PM
This game is great for casual players, when you can play 30-60 minutes a day, several days a week...

With this frequency of playing, you find that you get new game play content faster an you can play it!

And it is starting to look like the 2nd playable race (Klingons) is finally getting some serious gameplay contents, so things are looking up!