Lt. Commander
# 1 Evaluating Officers
11-02-2010, 04:09 PM
How do you go about Evaluating Officers to join your crew? With the ability to train a skill, I'm often unsure of what other attributes are important. Also, what makes an officer 'rare' or high quality? Is it that certain skills are rare, attributes or combination's? Thanks!
Lt. Commander
# 2
11-02-2010, 04:22 PM
The rarity of the officer determines how well its passive abilities are. If you look at the description for a Bridge Officer candidate there are eight abilities listed under Ground. The first four are passives, meaning abilities that are automatically put into affect and cannot be triggered. The last four are abilities that can be activated. Sometimes there will be a space passive ability. Basically if there are more than four abilities listed under Space or Ground, the last four can be activated.

As far as their skills go, no one can really tell you exactly what to use. It depends on your play style and your character/ship's strengths and weakness. You will have to experiment with different skills as well as ask questions.
Lt. Commander
# 3
11-03-2010, 01:42 AM
ok there are two things to look at with your officers. Traits and skills. Each can have an effect on desirablity/price.

The most important is the officers traits - those are the unchangeable bonuses your officer has - repeat *traits are the ONLY thing about your officers you can never ever change*. Traits modify your officer in some way - extra cold protection, better expose damage, extra health etc. You can examine the officer to see exactly what the traits the officer has grant him/her.

Some traits are based on race ie Klingons have the warrior trait, Vulcans logical etc. If you look through the exchange and pick a particular race, the officers you will notice have one or two racial traits and a range of about 4-5 other traits that appear randomly.

Traits have different stats depending on the level/strength of the trait. For example Basic teamwork gives a smaller % bonus than superior teamwork. The rarer the officer the stronger the traits they have.

So why do i care what traits my officers have? Well almost all traits are ground traits, meaning they only affect ground abilities/combat. The only space abilities any officers have are efficent, which only rare Saurian officers have, and borg pre-order bonus officers. So traits really only affect your away team, as they are the only officers you will have on the ground.

What traits do i want? Well i like to look for officers with soldier AND aggresive traits for bonus damage in ground combat. If your officer has a trait that increases exploit damage, then give the officer an exploit weapon. A medic who gets a bonus to healing etc. Whatever your ground team, its worth matching traits to the officers intended role and kit. Figure what you want your officer to do, what role in your ground team and go find a suitable traited officer in the rare/very rare pool at the exchange. IE Melee combat officer - klingon tac officer.

Skills are the other measure of an officer. any tier 1 or 2 skills can be trained by the npc trainer so dont look at those . Depending on your skills you may be able to teach some skills to an officer of the same type - like high yield torp III - or photon grenade etc etc to a fellow tac officer. As a tac officer you can not teach sci or engy officers. Some skills can only be taught by a player, which is a good reason to be a fleet member as you can trade your assigned engy officer to a mate who is an engy, who can teach the officer a version III of a skill and then hand him back. Giving you access to a higher tier skill than you can get from the npc trainer.

There are some skills that dont seem to be able to be taught either by NPC or by players - such as beam overload III. So an officer with this highly desired skill will sell for a lot. Any officer with a tier III skill that the npc trainer does not teach will be worth good money.

So from this you should be able to understand a bit better. You need to do the leg work and find what traits you want/like for your away team. And you need to find out what skills the trainer cant train yourself.

But now you know why saurians cost more on average - because once in a while an efficent one turns up - any saurian other than an efficent saurian is pointless as other races traits are better for ground use. But i guess some people dont understand and think 5 mill for a saurian is worth it lol.

Also female officers tend to sell a touch higher as i guess the mainly male playerbase likes the eye candy? You can completely re-model officers you get (within racial tolerance) to look like supermodels - or your mum if you are a bit wierd, well very wierd.....
Lt. Commander
# 4
11-03-2010, 05:47 AM
Thanks for the great info! I do have a better understanding now I didn't realize that only 1 passive is used in space and the rest are just ground.

I do have a Borg Bridge Officer, guess I'll keep her around.
Lt. Commander
# 5
11-03-2010, 06:28 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Werit View Post
Thanks for the great info! I do have a better understanding now I didn't realize that only 1 passive is used in space and the rest are just ground.

I do have a Borg Bridge Officer, guess I'll keep her around.
Definitely keep the Bord Bridge Officer.

Also, as a side not. There is a ground passive called Leadership which is found with Human bridge officers. Technically it is a space passive ability, however for some reason it is listed as ground. I'm not sure if it the passive gets applied when the BO is on your bridge crew or not. It should.