Lt. Commander
**Updated as of 5/20/2010**

Purpose:

This guide explains how character traits and skills affect starship energy levels. It also shows numerically just how much of an impact those traits and skills have on starship power. Hopefully, players can use this information to maximize their power at the settings they use the most.

This Guide does not Include:
  • Data from spending limited amounts of points on energy-related skils (i.e. skills not "maxed" to 9).
  • Effects of consoles, ship-types, and other equipment.
  • Effects of player and BOff abilities (e.g. Emergency Power to X, EPS Power Transfer, etc.).

Character Traits that Influence Energy Levels:
  • Warp Core Theorist
    • Grants a +10 innate bonus to Starship Warp Core Training.
    • May only be chosen during character creation.

• Efficient Captain
    • Grants a +10 innate bonus to all system efficiency stats.
    • May only be chosen during character creation.

• Efficient
    • Bridge officer trait.
    • Grants a small bonus to all system efficiency stats.

Skills that Influence Energy Levels:
  • Starship Warp Core Training
    • Improves power levels for all systems.
    • Only effective at base energy settings < 60.

• Efficiency Skills
    • Improves the power level of a specific system.
    • Only effective at base energy settings < 70.

• Performance Skills
    • Improves the power level of a specific system.
    • Provides a flat power bonus to that system.

The Numbers:

Power Settings
Bonuses
Not Covered in the Graphs/Charts:
  • Efficient Captain
    • Grants a bonus of approx. +4 energy to all systems at 25 base power, tapering linearly as levels approach 60.
    • Ineffective at power settings > 60.

• Efficient
    • Grants a bonus of approx. +1 energy to all systems at power settings < 60.
    • Ineffective at power settings > 60.
    • Bonus stacks if you have more than one bridge officer with this trait assigned.

A Brief Description of Subsystem Functions:
  • Subsystem
    • Weapons
      • Increases damage of energy-based weapons (beams, cannons, turrets).
      • Does not affect projectiles (torpedoes, mines).

• Shields
      • Increases shield regeneration and damage resistance.
      • Affects potency of certain shield-based abilities (e.g. Extend Shields).

• Engines
      • Increases impulse speed and turn rate.
      • Increases Bonus Defense rating (i.e. greater chance that incoming fire will miss).

• Auxiliary
      • Increases stealth detection rating.
      • Affects potency of many Science abilities.
      • ...probably does something else I'm missing...

In Closing:

I hope this guide is useful to players who are trying to get the most power from their builds. If you catch something I've overlooked or if you find any of the information is innacurrate, please let me know.

Also, I'm sorry if I've duplicated information from other guides that may be floating around out there. In my own search of the forums I've found some data on this topic, but only in bits and pieces. I do know of one other comprehensive guide, but its contents are either innacurate or outdated.
Lt. Commander
# 2
05-08-2010, 10:59 PM
**Update - 5/8/2010**

Changes:
  • Graphs and charts are now easier on the eyes. The data is now lain out more clearly.
  • The explainations of the Efficient Captain and Efficient traits have been clarified.
  • Various fixes to language and layout.

Please leave your feedback! Tell me what you think of this guide: that it sucks, it's confusing, convoluted, or even that you might like it or find it helpful. XD

I'm open to any suggestions/comments. This is a work in progress. At this point, I'm even open to flaming.
Lt. Commander
# 3
05-08-2010, 11:54 PM
I was looking for something like this, so I appreciate your time in making and posting. The only thing I can think you might add is what specifically each type of power affects. Ie: weapons, shields, engines, and aux. Obviously torpedoes and mines are unaffected by weapons, as well turning is affected by aux. That kind of stuff, good newbie information.
Lt. Commander
# 4
05-09-2010, 07:01 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyomoto View Post
I was looking for something like this, so I appreciate your time in making and posting. The only thing I can think you might add is what specifically each type of power affects. Ie: weapons, shields, engines, and aux. Obviously torpedoes and mines are unaffected by weapons, as well turning is affected by aux. That kind of stuff, good newbie information.
Turning is engines now. It was changed from aux with one of the recent updates.
Lt. Commander
# 5
05-12-2010, 01:30 AM
Thanks for the input. I added some brief explanations of what each subsystem is responsible for. Like I said, it's brief. It would take a completely separate guide to discuss every ability affected by each subsystem...

**Update - 5/12/2010**

Changes:
  • Included explanations of what subsystems (weapons, shields, etc.) power affects, as far as I can tell. Again, feedback would be appreciated. :p
Lt. Commander
# 6
05-12-2010, 12:59 PM
science skills (barring science team) cannot be used with 0 power in aux.
Lt. Commander
# 7
05-12-2010, 02:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by faithborn
science skills (barring science team) cannot be used with 0 power in aux.
Helpful. Thanks.

Also something I was not aware of.
Lt. Commander
# 8
05-20-2010, 09:51 AM
**Update - 5/20/2010**

Changes:
  • Fixed minor data errors for Warp Theorist | Efficiency energy bonuses.
Lt. Commander
# 9
06-08-2010, 11:37 PM
Thanks for your hard work, a very useful post overall.

One criticism: I came looking specifically for an explanation of the "Maintenance" skills, and what they affect. As usual (for general skills discussions), there was nary a mention of them. Someone said they affect the power flow rates for the respective systems, but I've yet to see that writeen in stone.

Thanks again for your efforts.
Lt. Commander
# 10
06-09-2010, 02:27 AM
Excellent work InBleedingRapture. Well laid out, and the graphs look great!

However, if I may be so bold to point out a minor mistake...

Starship Warp Core Training (WCT) and the Efficiency skills (and the Captain/BO Traits that improve them) are all technically helpful at power levels equal to or below 70 (or simply below 75), not 60 as you state above. The system's HUD display rounds-off all decimals to the lowest number. So WCT Level 9 (skill 18) makes a 60 power level into 61. Really you're getting 61.35, and that rounded-off 0.35 will factor in to other formulas (weapons damage, engine speed, etc. and it adds to bonuses given by Efficiency/Proficiency skills).

There are missing round-offs at 65.90/65 and 70.45/70. Again, the 0.90 and 0.45 do count, behind-the-scenes. Consider also that a captain with the Warp Theorist trait gets a +10 to WCT, allowing for a 28 skill, at that level you'll see 62/60 (+2.10), 66/65 (+1.40), and there's the rounded-down but still technically helpful 70/70 (+0.70).

It's late, and it'll be just my luck I come stomping in here uninvited to help and I'll have made a typeo or other goof and look the fool. Sorry about that...

I found it is easy to get confused about the power skills/levels, so I made a thread, with similar intend to your's. There you'll also find the STO Power Calculator, a spreadsheet that does all the number crunching for you, lets you play with the traits, skill levels, ship types, etc. I hope you and your readers will find it useful.