Lt. Commander
Hey i was wondering why theres no Red Alert, green alert or yellow alert Switches? Is there any way we could get them for the game? it would be alot better cause then i could switch to what i need when going into combat or what ever like that
Lt. Commander
# 2
04-23-2010, 05:26 PM
In the grim future of the Star Trek universe, Federation ships are always on Red Alert.
Lt. Commander
# 3
04-24-2010, 06:37 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulram16 View Post
Hey i was wondering why theres no Red Alert, green alert or yellow alert Switches? Is there any way we could get them for the game? it would be alot better cause then i could switch to what i need when going into combat or what ever like that
Well the question is, why would you need to be able to control this? I can understand it would help immersion and roleplaying, but the game mechanics are so fast that it would only detract from gameplay by introducing another level of micromanagement. Having the ship automatically go to Red Alert (with shields raised) for you is the simplest way to keep the action straightforward, in my opinion.

This question also came up a few years ago, long before STO was released. Without a working diplomacy (or consequence) system, would any ship have any reason not to keep their shields up at all times? Would manually having to raise and lower them only complicate the feel of the game?

And then take into account how fast combat moves already, especially if/when your shields get disabled.

===

So, unless combat is slowed down by a drastic amount -- at least 1000% slower than what it is now, with plenty of reaction time -- I don't see any viable reason to have separate alert status or manual raising/lowering of shields.
Lt. Commander
# 4 True
04-26-2010, 04:29 PM
ok my brain just went boom! but i can see where your comin from... i just want to be able to say to myself Red alert!
Lt. Commander
# 5
04-26-2010, 05:33 PM
I see both sides of this. As an RPer I would love to be able to tell my ship to go to red alert all on my own. lol, but I also see that it could be a hassle. With the upcoming diplomacy system it could become even more fun.

Perhaps they could add it in as optional for those who feel like more immersion. Or give us the option and go to red alert automatically once you're fired upon.
Lt. Commander
# 6
04-27-2010, 01:21 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by vince081 View Post
Perhaps they could add it in as optional for those who feel like more immersion. Or give us the option and go to red alert automatically once you're fired upon.
Well, the shields are tied to Red Alert status at the moment. If you waited until after you're fired upon, 9 times out of 10 you would already be dead before you get a chance to raise your shields. Hence the automatic status change.

I think the defining pre-requisite for manual status changes (and manual shield control) would have to be much slower combat and much more reaction/lead time.
Lt. Commander
# 7
04-27-2010, 02:49 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulram16 View Post
ok my brain just went boom! but i can see where your comin from... i just want to be able to say to myself Red alert!
True I agree I want to be able to assign my alert status!!!!

Red Alert

Yellow Alert

Condition Green
Lt. Commander
# 8
05-01-2010, 02:49 PM
Did we forget about Blue Alert or Condition Blue? Ha Ha Ha...Sorry I just had to throw that in here.
Lt. Commander
# 9
05-01-2010, 06:42 PM
GIVE ME LUDICRIS SPEED!!!

so i can go to plaid.
Lt. Commander
# 10
05-03-2010, 08:30 PM
I think gameplay goes way too fast to implement manual Alerts. If it was implemented, perhaps an in-game benefit could be added Crew alertness/regeneration, buff to hull (as opposed to the obvious raising of shields at Red Alert); a drawback could be added drag to impulse, reducing speed.