Lt. Commander
# 11
11-04-2010, 08:45 AM
Please, do not make the mistake of turning the factions into copies of each other with the sole difference being their "skins".

Quote:
Originally Posted by P_Sutherland
What about the Spoon heads? Terran Empire? Undine? Borg ? Breen etc ? :O
  • Cardassians have the Hideki-class in canon. Note that they still do not have a carrier, though, and the Hideki is more like a gunship than a "true fighter". Comparable to the Runabout, apparently.
  • Terran Empire ... doesn't care about losing soldiers, so it might be plausible. But then they'd lose their "mirror" style, which may be regarded as negative.
  • Breen NPC faction already has fighters, I believe.
  • Undine and Borg never had any fighters, and the Borg especially do not appear like they would even consider such an idea. They're more the "bigger, heavier, slower" type of faction. The smallest Borg ship we've seen so far was a "Probe", and that thing was still as large as an Intrepid.
In general, I dislike the notion of turning Trek battles into Star Wars and so am not a fan of any carrier. I'm in favor of preserving the style of fighting we have seen in the shows and the movies.
Lt. Commander
# 12
11-04-2010, 08:52 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valias
Please, do not make the mistake of turning the factions into copies of each other with the sole difference being their "skins".
  • Cardassians have the Hideki-class in canon. Note that they still do not have a carrier, though, and the Hideki is more like a gunship than a "true fighter". Comparable to the Runabout, apparently.
  • Terran Empire ... doesn't care about losing soldiers, so it might be plausible. But then they'd lose their "mirror" style, which may be regarded as negative.
  • Breen NPC faction already has fighters, I believe.
  • Undine and Borg never had any fighters, and the Borg especially do not appear like they would even consider such an idea. They're more the "bigger, heavier, slower" type of faction. The smallest Borg ship we've seen so far was a "Probe", and that thing was still as large as an Intrepid.
In general, I dislike the notion of turning Trek battles into Star Wars and so am not a fan of any carrier. I'm in favor of preserving the style of fighting we have seen in the shows and the movies.
Undine have tethys dreadnough.. which spawns in a LOT of undine frigates
breen... yup i stand corrected they have a carrier.
spoon heads = hideka ? :O
Terran Empire? Mirror style ? :O it it kills stuff they'll use it

Ps Canon = ignore list
Lt. Commander
# 13
11-04-2010, 09:18 AM
The U.S.S Yamato (from Klingon Academy) would make a good base for a carrier.

http://www.scifi-meshes.com/forums/s...399&viewfull=1
Lt. Commander
# 14
11-04-2010, 09:38 AM
Quote:
So do we develop two new Federation ship types?

Develop one new Federation ship type and kill the idea of having klingon Science Ships (including tossing the gorn ship out the window)?
Lt. Commander
# 15
11-04-2010, 10:14 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyHappyJoyJoy View Post
So do we develop two new Federation ship types?

Develop one new Federation ship type and kill the idea of having klingon Science Ships (including tossing the gorn ship out the window)?
I'm not so sure this is development, coming up with something new that makes a faction unique without porting features over, now that's development. Ditching all of this is more than perfectly fine by me. For it is the beginning of something ugly.

---
Lt. Commander
# 16
11-04-2010, 10:27 AM
I'm with Sernon on this one.

By the way, why do you even need yet another Federation ship type with all the hybrids available?
Lt. Commander
# 17
11-04-2010, 11:04 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sernon
I'm not so sure this is development, coming up with something new that makes a faction unique without porting features over, now that's development.
True, but we're not seeing that. We're seeing Gorn Science Vessels.

Quote:
By the way, why do you even need yet another Federation ship type with all the hybrids available?
By that frame of thinking the Bird-of-Prey covers all bases, and klingons need nothing else. I don't see that as reasonable.

There aren't much in the way of hybrids, there's the Nebula which brings a little Engineering to Science Vessels, and the Excelsior that brings a little Tactical to Cruisers... and that's it. And ultimately those aren't new ship types, they're a BOff seating change, which brings us back around to the Bird-of-Prey and an argument that falls flat.

There's nothing resembling a Carrier, nothing with the versatility of a Bird-of-Prey, on the Federation side, and with the introduction of a Gorn Science Vessel there really won't be any unique vessel types on one side of the fence.

Do I think the Federation need a Carrier? No, but with Science Vessels now being a part of the klingon armada I do think Starfleet needs a new type of ship or two, even if they were limited to T5 and little variation like the klingon carriers.
Lt. Commander
# 18
11-04-2010, 11:37 AM
I remember you could launch a few shuttles in Starfleet Command, they were mostly there to annoy and harass the opponent, would not such a thing for the larger Fed ships alleviate some of the need for a Carrier?

Granted it would be more of an universal solution, but there is a need for some flexible solutions, or everything will stagnate...

---
Lt. Commander
# 19
11-04-2010, 11:48 AM
Quote:
I remember you could launch a few shuttles in Starfleet Command, they were mostly there to annoy and harass the opponent, would not such a thing for the larger Fed ships alleviate some of the need for a Carrier?

Granted it would be more of an universal solution, but there is a need for some flexible solutions, or everything will stagnate...
That's actually something I proposed some time ago: http://forums.startrekonline.com/sho...75&postcount=8

Would also be much more in line with canon and the general Federation style than just copying the suicide fighter squadrons of the KDF.
Lt. Commander
# 20
11-04-2010, 12:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by P_Sutherland
Ps Canon = ignore list
|IGNORE USER|

*click*

Quote:
---
It shifts the balance of PvP for me to try and filter through all of the damn shield generators or BoPs that carriers call in just to blow something up. It tacks on vital seconds when I could be using a buff or debuff ability instead of pushing the tab button or trying to click on the thing in the middle of all those red squares.

This is where the carriers can get a particular advantage, especially if things get cluttered in an arena like cracked planetoid
Closed Thread