Lt. Commander
# 1 Roleplaying in STO
11-04-2010, 06:16 AM
Hey there Star Trek Online!

Brand new to the game, with less than a week of running around lost and confused under my belt and I have to say I'm enjoying myself a great deal.

I do have one question however. Does Star Trek Online have much of a role-playing player base? I have seen the occasional thread on the forums here, but every other MMO I have played in I have enjoyed all the more from approaching it as a veteran role-player.

Are there groups that get together? Fleets (I believe that's the guild equivalent for STO...) or areas on the game that are common for people to get together in?
Lt. Commander
# 2
11-04-2010, 06:19 AM
I have not seen much role playing, but that doesn't mean there is none. You could try searching for a fleet that enjoys role playing.

People usually gather at the various stations. There are some other areas such as Risa which can be visited, but since there is nothing to do, no one really goes there.
Lt. Commander
# 3
11-04-2010, 08:56 AM
I've seen quite a bit of roleplaying, actually. Not my bag, personally, but whatever quells their nacelles.
Lt. Commander
# 4
11-04-2010, 09:31 AM
This is the first MMO I've played where even casual players occasionally do a spot of roleplaying. It doesn't happen too often, and there are roleplay fleets out there, but every so often I do see someone call someone else by rank instead of name. Not much roleplay to be true, but still, it's more than most MMOs get.
Lt. Commander
# 5
11-04-2010, 01:54 PM
There are sometimes somes players in quarks on DS9 that do roleplay. Make sure to be in instance #1.
Lt. Commander
# 6
11-04-2010, 02:01 PM
Drozana and DS9 often have roleplayers in them. Try to get into instance 1 or the lowest instance if there is no 1, that is generally the unofficial RP instance. I've seen what I think are German roleplayers too, not that I can understand them. I know there are in game chat channels and websites and the like dedicated to STO roleplaying if you really want to get into it, not that I know what they are.
Lt. Commander
# 7
11-04-2010, 02:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nigels84 View Post
There are sometimes somes players in quarks on DS9 that do roleplay. Make sure to be in instance #1.
Oooh! Nice tip, thnx! And I can play Dabo! Woo! XD
Lt. Commander
# 8
11-04-2010, 02:07 PM
There are quite some roleplayers, but I believe the majority of RP is happening in "closed" areas like people's bridges, often limited to a single fleet. But the aforementioned places are a good hint regardless for stumbling into a chance encounter and possibly making first contacts (pun intended).

In addition:
http://www.startrekonlineroleplayers.com
... and you can join the in-game chat channel "STORP" (it's much more lively than the website/forum)
Lt. Commander
# 9
11-04-2010, 02:22 PM
All hailing frequencies open : see you at Deep Space 9...

Regards
Lt. Commander
# 10
11-04-2010, 06:42 PM
Thank you everyone for responding so well! The tips for DS9 are excellent (have to figure out how to get there as I've just reached spacedock at earth...), and the STORP nod just as good (if not better, once I figure out how to enter a chat channel...).

If there's anything else anyone can share, don't hesitate.