Lt. Commander
# 1 New Klingon ships
11-04-2010, 08:44 AM
Since I don't see it posted here...

Quote:
Here's some basic info for now

Klingon Empire B'rel Bird-of-Prey Retrofit
Birds-of-Prey are the workhorses of the Empire, filling roles as scout ships, raiders or combat vessels. This retrofit of the famed B'rel Bird-of-Prey combines the small size and maneuverability of the B'rel with the most advanced weaponry available to the Empire. The B'rel Bird-of-Prey Retrofit has six weapon slots (4 fore, 2 aft), seats for four Bridge Officers (2 Lieutenant Universal, 1 Lieutenant Commander Universal and 1 Commander Universal) and space for eight console modifications (3 Tactical, 3 Engineering, 2 Science). It carries 30 crew and has an Enhanced Battle Cloak that will allow the ship to fire mines and torpedo weapons and use most Bridge Officer and Captain abilities while cloaked.

Klingon Empire Varanus Fleet Support Vessel
This Gorn Hegemony design has been adapted for use by the Klingon Defense Force. These vessels do not have the firepower of Klingon starships, but their advanced technology makes them ideal for use by captains who want to support their allies in battle. The Varanus Fleet Support Vessel has six weapon slots (3 fore, 3 aft), seats for five Bridge Officers (Lieutenant Tactical, Ensign Engineering, Lieutenant Engineering, Lieutenant Commander Science and Commander Science) and space for eight console modifications (2 Tactical, 2 Engineering, 4 Science). It carries a crew of 750, has integral subsystem targeting and can launch a Repair Platformthat will deploy drones to assist it or allied ships.

Klingon Empire Marauder Patrol Cruiser
The Orion Syndicate has made the design of their famed Marauder Patrol Cruiser available to the Klingon Defense Force. Marauders are made for quick raids, but have the strength to last through a pitched battle. The Marauder Patrol Cruiser has eight weapon slots (4 fore, 4 aft), seats for five Bridge Officers (Lieutenant Tactical, Lieutenant Commander Engineering, Commander Engineering, Ensign Science and Lieutenant Science) and space for eight console modifications (2 Tactical, 4 Engineering, 2 Science). It carries 800 crew members. The Syndicate takes great care to protect Marauders, so when one of these vessels falls below 25 percent of its maximum hull strength a wing of Orion Interceptor Fighters will come to assist it. These fighters will drop mines, and then move to disable subsystems and capture crew from enemy ships, giving the Marauder cover for a safe escape.
http://forums.startrekonline.com/sho...1&postcount=16

Opinions? I'm a little underwhelmed at the moment, but I'll test them and see when they hit tribble.
Lt. Commander
# 2
11-04-2010, 11:44 AM
I think it's awesome.

I don't particularly like the idea of copying the Fed Sci-ship, as I am in favor of preserving faction uniqueness, but the description sounds interesting and well-wrought, and the visual design is definitively great. I'm interested to see how the Varanus will influence combat.

I'm particularly happy to see the Orion cruiser spawn fighters, for this is what I was hoping for - even if I won't fly her, I think it's cool to have an ability that resembles the NPC ships and, above all, sounds very Orion to me. I mean, come on, fighters that "kidnap" enemy crew members? How cool is that.

As for the B'rel - not a lot as to how the Enhanced Cloak really works, but I'm planning to get this ship simply for the looks, so I'll be satisfied anyways. I'm curious as to how the cloak will turn out in testing, though. Also: hooray for small size. At least I hope it'll be smaller and more maneuverable than the Hegh'ta. I miss the "fighter-like" combat from T1.
Lt. Commander
# 3
11-04-2010, 11:51 AM
The special abilities are to me the only redeeming qualities of these ships. Now I'm assuming (and I feel safe in that assumption) that we are looking at standard stats with these ships, which is fine, but what bothers me is the cloning of Fed BO layouts.

The B'rel is really an unknown quantity here. I know many Feds are already screaming OP at the tops of their little lungs, but these are the same people who think that the standard BoP is an "I win" button already. Even though it can fire Torps and mines, even if you loaded it up on torps and mines there is no suggestion that the cool down of firing multiples of toprs/mines is reduced, so we're not looking at more than one or two projectiles getting launched before someone figures out range and direction and pops any number of the decloak abilities. Add this to the fact that, that it still has the normal BoP stats (as I'm guessing) We still have a glass cannon so to speak just with a twist.
Lt. Commander
# 4
11-04-2010, 12:06 PM
The Varanus has had me doing some scratch pad builds for the last hour or so. The idea of trying an all Gorn captain & crew was something I was considering when I started up. I'm in wait and see mode for season 3 atm though.
Lt. Commander
# 5
11-04-2010, 12:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kwatchi View Post
The Varanus has had me doing some scratch pad builds for the last hour or so. The idea of trying an all Gorn captain & crew was something I was considering when I started up. I'm in wait and see mode for season 3 atm though.
I've got an all Gorn Cpt & crew at Cmdr right now, I started them in hopes of these ships (I actually have an all Orion and all Nausicaan Cmdr build too).
Lt. Commander
# 6
11-04-2010, 12:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kwatchi View Post
The idea of trying an all Gorn captain & crew was something I was considering when I started up.
Sounds good! I'm in favor of seeing more subfaction-oriented ships rather than the mix we have right now, anyways. After all, it's the Federation that is the faction known for being multi-cultural, not the KDF. :p
Lt. Commander
# 7
11-04-2010, 12:45 PM
Given the examples of the other vessel refits and custom ships built by the Dev's, I don't feel that these new KDF vessels will be anymore powerful than any other ship in the game.
Lt. Commander
# 8
11-04-2010, 12:47 PM
I am probably like everyone else....chomping at the bit to finally test out the new ships...I just wish that the Marauder Patrol Cruiser had an active power instead of a passive one...fighters that spawn at 25% hull left?...really? Come on...that would be a great power if it was just 1 vs 1...

It is gonna be fun watching those fighters go after the ship/s that had just blown up the Marauder...

If that is the case...then have the Intrepid Refit Hull armor activate passively at 25% hull...

I bet the Intrepid will last longer than the Marauder in its ability to escape since it can sustain fire from more than 1 ship with the hull armor activated...I know the two ships are of different classes, but the intent and uses of the powers seem similar....I don't know....It is all just speculation at the moment since we have not tested the ships yet.

I am in the same opinion as OP with the stats without testing the ships....underwhelmed....only because we waited/teased for so long with the release and delays of Klingon faction ships....
Lt. Commander
# 9
11-04-2010, 08:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Varrangian View Post
Since I don't see it posted here...

http://forums.startrekonline.com/sho...1&postcount=16

Opinions? I'm a little underwhelmed at the moment, but I'll test them and see when they hit tribble.
The Orion special seems it may be a carbon copy of fleet support.

Must be tested.
Lt. Commander
# 10
11-04-2010, 08:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serpieri View Post
The Orion special seems it may be a carbon copy of fleet support.

Must be tested.
Yeah I'm a little disappointed in the lack of creativity here, but I'll hold final judgement for after testing.