Lt. Commander
# 11
11-04-2010, 08:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valias
Sounds good! I'm in favor of seeing more subfaction-oriented ships rather than the mix we have right now, anyways. After all, it's the Federation that is the faction known for being multi-cultural, not the KDF. :p
Please, we all know the truth. The Federation is a club for Homosapien and their pet Vulcans.

Federation Officer: Vulcan want a Cookie....
Vulcan: Begs
Federation Officer: What's the Value of Pie
Vulcan: .....
Federation Officer: HEEHEEE
Vulcan: <neck pinch>
Federation Officer falls down and lands on a blade
Vulcan enjoys Cookie
Lt. Commander
# 12
11-05-2010, 05:06 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kwatchi View Post
The Varanus has had me doing some scratch pad builds for the last hour or so. The idea of trying an all Gorn captain & crew was something I was considering when I started up. I'm in wait and see mode for season 3 atm though.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Varrangian View Post
I've got an all Gorn Cpt & crew at Cmdr right now, I started them in hopes of these ships (I actually have an all Orion and all Nausicaan Cmdr build too).
Well, I rolled a Gorn Science toon before it was announced that the new Gorn ship would be science.
Maybe I was lucky but I'm not entirely sure.
If the Varanus is really too much like the DSSV, I'll probably stick to flying a BoP at max level.
I do intend to make a 100% Gorn BO crew however.
And for some reason I feel compelled to give all of them Plasma weapons for ground combat.
Just feels like something the Gorn would actually use.
And since the'yre not the smallest guys running around I'd say some bulky Plasma guns would look
nice on them too.
Lt. Commander
# 13
11-05-2010, 07:33 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mister_dee
And since the'yre not the smallest guys running around I'd say some bulky Plasma guns would look nice on them too.
Anything bulky looks good on them. Valias' First Mate is a Gorn, and he carries a heavy disruptor cannon. Although he is also decked out with a couple close combat skills (a Gorn without Lunge is not a Gorn :p).
Lt. Commander
# 14
11-05-2010, 12:41 PM
I really like the Gorn ship. Trading the slot for the repair platform seems very reasonable.

The Orion Cruiser's tradeoff on the Star Cruiser seems reasonable enough except for two concerns. First, a heavy cruiser like that is unlikely to have its hull so low in PvE and in PvP is likely to be burst down at the end. When hull has reached that low of a value it's because all other abilities have been used or stripped. More realistically in PvP, no one will shoot at the ship until it's the last target.

My second concern is that if the power is tweaked so that it is more useful in PvP then that adds more fighters to a faction that, in PuG PvP, already needs some tweaks on the number of deployables. Carriers are great, I fly one as well on Klingon side, but in a random game with two or three carriers the deployables can already become quite frustrating. With fighters, which are dropping mines, space becomes even more choked. There are counters to this problem, but they require specific loadouts to deal with it and it's rare to find scatter shot, torpedo spread, and AE science powers being used to counter this. Even where that does happen, the ships are giving up a lot of offensive punch just to keep the deployables under control.

The Bird of Prey is interesting. Testing will tell with it, though my suspicion is that there will be no reason to fly the current BoP with this option available.
Lt. Commander
# 15
11-05-2010, 12:54 PM
I'm really want to test these, but tribble doesn't have a method of boosting your characters level, so my Orion and Gorn that I had rolled for this would be unable to test these ships. (I've only got on Lvl 51).
Lt. Commander
# 16
11-05-2010, 05:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CWRicheson View Post
The Bird of Prey is interesting. Testing will tell with it, though my suspicion is that there will be no reason to fly the current BoP with this option available.
I get that impression too....since I just flew it and I'm switching (even though I think it's ugly and prefer the skin of the hegh'ta)

The loss of the sci console doesn't affect me too much since I only use PH/HE/PSW and the last one is only for the stun effect.

Being able to heal while cloaked is possibly the main driving force for me here, before when running I'd do the evasive, speed thing and zoom off, possibly have to cloak to not get chased down..run off somewhere decloak, heal, wait to recloak, make my way back. now dont have to decloak to heal hurray

wonder if the +20 inertia will have any effect on how far they go with the evasive/speed escape.
Lt. Commander
# 17
11-05-2010, 05:28 PM
Quote:
I'm really want to test these, but tribble doesn't have a method of boosting your characters level, so my Orion and Gorn that I had rolled for this would be unable to test these ships. (I've only got on Lvl 51).
Sure you can test them, you get free shop tokens and free respect tokens, plus the ships are not race looked.
Lt. Commander
# 18
11-05-2010, 05:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idali
Sure you can test them, you get free shop tokens and free respect tokens, plus the ships are not race looked.
My Sci character (the one for the Gorn ship) is only lvl 31, these are lvl 51 ships and my only lvl 51 is an Eng.
Lt. Commander
# 19
11-05-2010, 11:13 PM
I just went ahead and tested them with my Engineering Capt. Here is my review.

Quote:
Ok after testing them I remain underwhelmed. I had said a few months back that if you offer me ships that are worth the money I would buy them in the CP store even if I had the tokens to buy them in game. If this is your offering the only thing motivating me to spend my money is RP reasons. I will admit to only being able to test these with a Engineering Capt. but sadly the one ship that was most disappointing was the cruiser anyways. Even if we ignore the two "new" ships are carbon copies of Fed BO layouts, the ships are underwhelming.

B'rel - Fun little gimmick, but it is by no means the "I win button" that some fear. The auto "decloak" after firing combined with the ability to only fire torps, mines or abilities while cloaked means it is ineffective as an alpha striker. It is ideal for hitting target that has just dropped shields, but that would mean in a PvP match that one ship would be out of the fight for much of the fight. It's not a horrible ship, but it is a niche. (by the way, those of you who are still convinced this is the "doom" ship note the hull stats on this one).

The Varnus is probably to most interesting of the ships from a potential stand point. But comes up bland in actual play. The repair drones are nice and I can see their use, I can even think of a couple of really interesting builds for this ship, but the weapon load out as well as the turn rate make it a nice addition to the KDF fleet, but still lackluster.

The Marauder, it might as well not even have a special ability. I believe in give and take, but seriously this ability is the worst you've come up with. It is a second fleet support. Do you know how often I've used fleet support in either PvP or PvE? So little that I often don't have it on my power tray. The only reason I might even get this ship is just because it would be nice to have an Orion ship, with an all Orion crew.

Bottom line up front - Devs please don't release the Gorn and Orion ships to the live server without making a number of adjustments. KDF players have been waiting a long time for some new ships and so far nothing you have offered us has had the quality and time put into them that the Federation refits have had.
Lt. Commander
# 20
11-06-2010, 12:17 AM
........my predictions were correct.........