Go Back   Star Trek Online > Feedback > Feature Episodes, Events and PvE Content
Login

Closed Thread

Lt. Commander
The following is quoted from what Gozer said in another thread:

Keep in mind that the STF's were not designed for PUG's.. I've made this statement over and over again but folks never seem to get it. It does not surprise me that the STF's are difficult for with PUG's, since they were in fact made for a group of 5 players that play together often and are not randomly teamed up. It's much like buying a sports car and then getting upset because you can't move a couch in it.

The optional objectives in these missions are made to be challenging for solo play (as oppsed to 5 people), they won't be difficult for groups at all. In fact that's the whole point of them. Bragging rights and extra loot if you solo them, or an incentive to team up if you want the extra rewards and you are not a min/max type of player.

Goz

The design flaw is highligted in yellow. While I understand this thougth process. It does not and never has applies to STO. Actually it doesn't even really apply to any MMO. Most MMO's may encourage grouping more than STO but few demand you actually play regularly with the same 4 people to have a better than average chance of completing them. Let alone STO which, while I like grouping and do when I can, doesn't really encourage it let alone a dedicated group of 5. This was the fundamental design flaw.

Having said all of that I have faith that Cryptic will correct the funadamental design flaw.
Lt. Commander
# 2
11-04-2010, 01:53 PM
I really don't see that as a "Design Flaw". They were not intended to be run solo or by 5 random people. As with any MMO I've ever played 5 random people cant complete any epic dungeon. You might get lucky if you happen to join a group who may just be missing one or two people, but in the end you need to have a good understanding of the mission, it's objectives, and requirements before you go into it. Same could be said of PvP, if you don't know what you are doing, you will fail.

The idea I think Gozer was trying to convey is that you need to work as a team, if you run into an STF and have no idea what you are doing, its never going to work.

The few times I've tried to run an STF with a pug it's never worked because of at least 2 of the team members didn't research before going into it.
Lt. Commander
# 3
11-04-2010, 02:10 PM
Requiring homework and research in order to play a game doesn't sound like a design flaw to you? How many people play this game with a dedicated group? Seems to me that the vast majority of players in STO play solo, bass-ackwards as that may seem for an MMO.

Personally, I've never bothered to try the STFs. Why? Because I see people complaining about it all the time. Just doesn't seem worth the frustration. And that's sad, that there's content I have absolutely no desire to complete, and that I'm not the only one in the same boat.
Lt. Commander
# 4
11-04-2010, 02:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kahn View Post
The idea I think Gozer was trying to convey is that you need to work as a team, if you run into an STF and have no idea what you are doing, its never going to work.

And I think the idea the player base has conveyed is that if you make something to hard we simply won't waste our time playing it.

Quote:
The few times I've tried to run an STF with a pug it's never worked because of at least 2 of the team members didn't research before going into it.

The object of the game is to have fun. If people have to do homework to play the game it stops being fun and becomes a PITA. People avoid things in the game that are a PITA, and the perfect example of this is the STF.
Lt. Commander
# 5
11-04-2010, 02:14 PM
Join a big enough fleet and you'll be able to go through most STF in no time. Go look at the recrutement section or check the global channel in-game, there's always some fleet recruiting (mainly near Sirius sector block or Sol system).
Lt. Commander
# 6
11-04-2010, 02:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Naju View Post
Requiring homework and research in order to play a game doesn't sound like a design flaw to you? How many people play this game with a dedicated group? Seems to me that the vast majority of players in STO play solo, bass-ackwards as that may seem for an MMO.

Personally, I've never bothered to try the STFs. Why? Because I see people complaining about it all the time. Just doesn't seem worth the frustration. And that's sad, that there's content I have absolutely no desire to complete, and that I'm not the only one in the same boat.
You don't have to do the homework, but you have to understand you are going to die a lot. Thanks to the poor folks who spent the time to write up the documentation, I can read a few things, and go in there without the mass death. Seems pretty reasonable to me. I don't want to reinvent the wheel if I don't have to.

If people want to do the STF's there are ways to do it, you just have the "option" to do it a little more cleanly than just going in.
Lt. Commander
# 7
11-04-2010, 02:27 PM
They need to be a lot easier and PuG friendly(and a global LF STF group channel because I wont sit 6 hours in gamma orionis for a team if I feel like I want to do a STF today).

Imo less than 500 players finished the cure and no matter how you look at it the creation of these STFs was basically just waste of developer time with the current difficulty level(I can say the same about the CE too).I like challenge(I am that kind of guy) but looking for coins a half hour long at least 10 times(terradome) just to get zerged by 245587455 Undines right after(and they obliterate my entire team in just few seconds) is not fun sorry.
The cure is the same,I tried it at least 5-6 times(a few groups seemed to have really good players I must add) but we couldnt get through the first(or second?) transformator(or whatever it is lol) no matter how hard we tried(guess why:you get zerged by 800 borgs and they eat your tactical and science captains alive,just I can stay alive from my entire team because I am an engineer but I cant do it alone.Probably that STF was designed for 5 engineers).
Khitomer Accords is just a myth because nobody can get past the Cure(I saw at least 4 5-6 pages long threads where nobody knew that the Borg Bo is tactical,engineer,or sci(I know that it is sci because 4 months ago in a similar topic a player told us that it is a science BO and he has 1 but I didnt reply in them because I found it to amusing)).

Infected is at least somewhat balanced,finished that 1 on the second attempt(but it wasnt easy,I was 1 of the jumping guys).

Sorry for the harsh words but STFs really need rebalancing(and klingons and feds should be able to play them together).
Lt. Commander
# 8
11-04-2010, 02:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xorrlan
Khitomer Accords is just a myth because nobody can get past the Cure(I saw at least 4 5-6 pages long threads where nobody knew that the Borg Bo is tactical,engineer,or sci(I know that it is sci because 4 months ago in a similar topic a player told us that it is a science BO and he has 1 but I didnt reply in them because I found it to amusing)).
I did KA not too long ago, and it is indeed a Science Borg bridge officer. Much like the Breen BO, he wears a Borg uniform that can't be changed. I currently use him in a science slot on my Nebula. Oddly enough you don't get the BO from completing KA, but simply by doing a quick accolade thing that exists inside the instance.

FYI.
Lt. Commander
# 9
11-04-2010, 02:35 PM
What's wrong with having something challenging where you have to work together as a team? If it's not your thing, then go play the rest of the 95% of the game that is soloable. It doesn't mean there is a design flaw. Same can be said of PVP. There are many players (possibly a majority judging by the ques) that really don't like PVP. Does this mean it shouldn't be in STO? Your idea of "fun" may be different from someone elses.. This may be hard to accept, but it's true.

No, it is not a conceptual design flaw. Yes, they could use a tune up and some tweaks, but the idea of having STF's is a good thing.

And if you have never even tried them yourself, I don't really find merit in your comments. All you are doing is giving someone else's opinion.
Lt. Commander
# 10
11-04-2010, 02:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xorrlan
They need to be a lot easier and PuG friendly(and a global LF STF group channel because I wont sit 6 hours in gamma orionis for a team if I feel like I want to do a STF today).

Imo less than 500 players finished the cure and no matter how you look at it the creation of these STFs was basically just waste of developer time with the current difficulty level(I can say the same about the CE too).I like challenge(I am that kind of guy) but looking for coins a half hour long at least 10 times(terradome) just to get zerged by 245587455 Undines right after(and they obliterate my entire team in just few seconds) is not fun sorry.
The cure is the same,I tried it at least 5-6 times(a few groups seemed to have really good players I must add) but we couldnt get through the first(or second?) transformator(or whatever it is lol) no matter how hard we tried(guess why:you get zerged by 800 borgs and they eat your tactical and science captains alive,just I can stay alive from my entire team because I am an engineer but I cant do it alone.Probably that STF was designed for 5 engineers).

Infected is at least somewhat balanced,finished that 1 on the second attempt(but it wasnt easy,I was 1 of the jumping guys).

Sorry for the harsh words but STFs really need rebalancing(and klingons and feds should be able to play them together).
Like the previous posts have mentioned, join a fleet. I've done KA on 3 different characters, and have the borg BO on all 3. What we are working on now is improving our times.
Closed Thread