Go Back   Star Trek Online > Feedback > Feature Episodes, Events and PvE Content
Login

Closed Thread

Lt. Commander
# 11
11-04-2010, 01:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Latinumbar
Like the previous posts have mentioned, join a fleet. I've done KA on 3 different characters, and have the borg BO on all 3. What we are working on now is improving our times.
I am not a big fan of PvE fleets(guilds),I prefer PvP +I am already in a fleet on both my high level chars(the fed fleet is just a social fleet but I like to be there because they behave like real Starfleet captains and this makes the fleet chat cool,I didnt play since few weeks but I doubt that a lot changed).
Lt. Commander
# 12
11-04-2010, 01:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kahn View Post
I did KA not too long ago, and it is indeed a Science Borg bridge officer. Much like the Breen BO, he wears a Borg uniform that can't be changed. I currently use him in a science slot on my Nebula. Oddly enough you don't get the BO from completing KA, but simply by doing a quick accolade thing that exists inside the instance.

FYI.
Indeed. The Cure and KA aren't too difficult to get through, except for the first part of KA that is a pain in the neck. You just have to understand that you are probably going to die a few times during the STF, and learn how to get through them. For instance, in SWG, yes I'm well aware of the general opinion of SWG, they have what are known as Instances, and these are the high level PvE endgame content.

There are 6 of them in all and you can only run them once a day, and you only have 2 hours to get through them. I have done all six of them at least 10 times. The best design part of the Instances is that some of the best Gear in the game comes from them, however inorder to get that gear, you have to know what you are doing to get through the instance. Pugs can work in there, but only if everyone in the PUG has run the instance before and knows what they are doing. It's not meant to be easy content, and you do have to work as a group to get through them.

That said, there needs to be something added in STO to encourage grouping and working together as a team. FAs aren't it, I've come in first place in almost every single FA exceot CE by soloing it, and just throwing the teams into the STFs right away and saying "Good Luck" isn't the answer either. There needs to be some missions, NOT the weeklies, where group work is required to finish them at each rank bracket. I'm not saying to make those mission ungodly hard, but rather put in group mechanics at various parts of the mission that make it impossible to finish without a group. Ideally it would be gradual, start with only one additional group member, then move to two, then three, then four for a full group made up of player characters. Then once you're up to the 5 player team make, start making the difficulity harder, then give them access to the STFs at level 45.
Lt. Commander
# 13
11-04-2010, 01:52 PM
Yes, it is a design flaw. They designed a solo friendly game that casual players can play alone and solo to the level cap and doesn't force grouping. Then the only end game content is for five players who play together all the time.
Lt. Commander
# 14
11-04-2010, 01:55 PM
Well, I'm in a fleet that does a lot of STFs. My Low infected time is 36 minutes and Cure an hour and 1 minute. Not that tough if you get some people that know how to.....get this....work together!
Lt. Commander
# 15
11-04-2010, 01:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_illustrious_q
For instance, in SWG, yes I'm well aware of the general opinion of SWG, they have what are known as Instances, and these are the high level PvE endgame content.

There are 6 of them in all and you can only run them once a day, and you only have 2 hours to get through them. I have done all six of them at least 10 times. The best design part of the Instances is that some of the best Gear in the game comes from them, however inorder to get that gear, you have to know what you are doing to get through the instance. Pugs can work in there, but only if everyone in the PUG has run the instance before and knows what they are doing. It's not meant to be easy content, and you do have to work as a group to get through them.
Yeah, the heroics are great, love doing them. No zergfest, some make you have to think, some are quick and dirty all out combat, most are a mix. And if your team knows what they are doing pugging them is easy. if not, you die, alot and quick.
Lt. Commander
# 16
11-04-2010, 01:58 PM
I agree with the OP. Generally, I dislike forced grouping and absolutely hate the raider mentality. However, I found certain aspects of WoW quite fun (the random dungeon team finder tool comes to mind and I met a lot of really nice people through using it. )

I think STFs will see a lot more customer attention and traffic if they're toned down enough to allow any random PuG a good shot at finishing them. The more team oriented and social content works much better with the tools to support it.

*Sorry if these thoughts have already been posted by someone else*
Lt. Commander
# 17
11-04-2010, 02:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Englebert
Yes, it is a design flaw. They designed a solo friendly game that casual players can play alone and solo to the level cap and doesn't force grouping. Then the only end game content is for five players who play together all the time.
Then I would submit that the design flaw is in not having earlier content that requires grouping. And if you want end game content for solo players, there's Defari dailies, and B'Tran. I don't see why STO can't have both. Is it not enough that the vast majority of the game is single player?
Lt. Commander
# 18
11-04-2010, 02:09 PM
Spending six hours repeatedly dying and then not completing the STF anyway because everyone gets frustrated and leaves is not fun.

End of story.
Lt. Commander
# 19
11-04-2010, 02:10 PM
Quote:
What's wrong with having something challenging where you have to work together as a team? If it's not your thing, then go play the rest of the 95% of the game that is soloable. It doesn't mean there is a design flaw.
I can see 2 flaws:
1) The time spent on STFs means spending time for content that only a small subset of players will be interested in and capable to succeed in. The time and effort could have been spent on PvP maps or KDF PvE content.

2) The STFs cold have been designed for 5 man PuGs with special submissions that only a premade has good chance to succeed at. Stuff like "Finish Task 1 in less then 3 minutes" or "Kill all enemies on the map" or "don't die" that lead to extra rewards (Drops, Accolades etc.). This way the content is open for a lot more people.

Edit:
Also, I really hate flawed errors. Make it totally wrong or get it right. No in-between wishy-washy.
Lt. Commander
# 20
11-04-2010, 02:22 PM
Quote:
What's wrong with having something challenging where you have to work together as a team? If it's not your thing, then go play the rest of the 95% of the game that is soloable. It doesn't mean there is a design flaw. Same can be said of PVP. There are many players (possibly a majority judging by the ques) that really don't like PVP. Does this mean it shouldn't be in STO? Your idea of "fun" may be different from someone elses.. This may be hard to accept, but it's true.

No, it is not a conceptual design flaw. Yes, they could use a tune up and some tweaks, but the idea of having STF's is a good thing.

And if you have never even tried them yourself, I don't really find merit in your comments. All you are doing is giving someone else's opinion.

I will actually respond to this. I have finishd Infected twice. I have tried and failed the cure more times than I care to count. I am in a fleet. I like the people in my fleet. However, I play mostly during the weekdsay during the day hours. I run mostly PUGs because I have no other choice. I have also treid Terradome twice both times without success. All my times in the The Cure we had good comuunication and decent tactics.

For anyone who wants to tell me my opinion doens't matter. Tough, it does. I pay to play this game and I pay for my son to play it. I like to be able to claim to have completed every mission in the game. Currnelty I can't. I can't even find a group willing to try the Cure these days. Yeah these aren't designed wrong... they are designed completely wrong.
Closed Thread