Lt. Commander
# 1 Sto Tv Commercials?!?!?
11-04-2010, 02:28 PM
i may not be a business manage guru... BUT:

i remember when STO launched sci-fi had a Star Trek marathon and STO had several commercials.

i understand that there havent been any since.

but lately, especially on Sci-Fi network AND the Biography channel there have several recent star trek marathons and SEVERAL star trek inerviews and documentary shows!

i know advertising is expensive, but you would think CBS or Atari would pony up some scratch to post at LEAST one commercial during each Biography channel 2 hour star trek documentray special?!?!?

or at least one commercial in the middle of the most popular star trek episode being shown during a sci-fi marathon!?!!

LIVE THE FANTASY!!! LIVE THE DREAM!!! COMMAND YOUR SHIP!!!! EXPLORE THE GALAXY!!!!
STAR TREK ONLINE!!!!
just $10 to start and $15 a month!!!!

BOO YA!!
instant new player base!

i mean...
am i the only one thinking about this.

just yesterday...
the science channel had a star trek tech special
biography channel had a 2 hour special on "the captains of the star trek saga's"
sci-fi had a star trek mini marathon.

and every night upn and other lower networks have a star trek episode.
during these late night episodes, they show commercials for "dial a mate" or "dirty talk"
these filth pushers can't be spending all that much for these commercials.
how hard would it be to post a commercial for STO during nightly or weekly airings of ald star trek TNG or DS9 episodes?!?!?!

just my 2 cents

and for all those who are about to say:

"id rather they spend money on content!"

think of all the extra revenue the game would get if 10-100 more players joined up every week nationally?
maybe more?!?!
Lt. Commander
# 2
11-04-2010, 02:34 PM
Possibly, but it would send subscription charges through the roof - TV adverts are ~ 100,000 each time.
Lt. Commander
# 3
11-04-2010, 03:38 PM
I still say if they tossed a few free accounts to the writers and/or cast of Big Bang Theroy they could get tons of free advertisment, when STO was then used as fodder for situations. Hell they have already plugged Marvel, DC, City of Heroes, Babylon 5, Battlestar Galactica, Firefly, World of ********, Halo, and of course every other permutation of Star Trek...except this game. Frankly I think they may only be barely aware of its existence, and with near little to no investment Cryptic could get the word out to a huge number of potential subscribers.

But so far the marketing group for STO has been far from impressive in thier efforts (ie. crowing about how Amazon had dropped the game to 10 bucks....not noticing they had done this to empty thier own warehoused copies, that wern't selling. So that now they only sell copies from third-party sources. This was actually bad publicity, and I had to assure many of my in-store customers that the game wasn't going under.). Cryptic needs to hire better folks in that dept.