Lt. Commander
I'm finding that some planets and moons look really really tiny when you get close to them, like they're spheres in space only several ship-lengths in size...

Now this is no doubt supposed to simulate HUGE distances cuz there's really no reason to make a map that's actually several million kilometers wide/deep....

The root of the problem, as i see it, is how close we're allowed to get to the planets right now...
everything is fine until we get an inch from the planet object and can see thru the optical illusion.

So i think this can be solved by preventing us from getting too close to planets...
and this would be done by implementing a sometimes-requested feature: Standard Orbits

dstahl briefly pondered orbits around planets here (at number 13)

Establishing a Standard Orbit would circle the ship around the planet cinematically while maintaining the distance needed to keep up the scale illusion

(post too serious... here is comic)
Lt. Commander
# 2
11-04-2010, 10:25 PM
i am on board for standard orbit options.

Geosynchronous orbit
Polar orbit
Low Earth orbit

it always looks silly going full speed directly at a planet till you almost hit the thing.
Lt. Commander
# 3
11-04-2010, 10:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by wfs5519 View Post
i am on board for standard orbit options.

Geosynchronous orbit
Polar orbit
Low Earth orbit

it always looks silly going full speed directly at a planet till you almost hit the thing.
The devs have texturing issues with poles. They have texture "pinching" on most of their spherical objects - a common error in 3D art assets with spherical surfaces.
Lt. Commander
# 4
11-05-2010, 10:07 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren_Kitlor
The devs have texturing issues with poles. They have texture "pinching" on most of their spherical objects - a common error in 3D art assets with spherical surfaces.
now see, the orbit track would also keep us away from the poles and any pinching one might encounter... uh, in the normal course of space exploration.
Lt. Commander
# 5
11-05-2010, 10:10 AM
....and for gods sake please please move the moons further away from the planets, they look totally idiotic at their present distance, I know all the roids are a problem too but i can live with them, but please move the moons further away!
Lt. Commander
# 6
11-05-2010, 10:23 AM
Standard Orbit would be sweet. Even as a cut-scene as you get close to the planet and press a button or something.

Anything is better than the current *point-your-ship-towards-the-dead-center-of-the-planet-full-speed-ahead-yehaaw-and-zone-whenever *.

---
Lt. Commander
# 7
11-05-2010, 10:31 AM
I would love for universe and solar systems to be bigger! Flying past Mars, Saturn, Jupiter on my way back and forth from earth. Having ambushes hiding behind moons out in Orion space, seeing random pirates attack the merchants and receiving distress calls from the NPC's or other players who are stuck in really tough battles.
Lt. Commander
# 8
11-05-2010, 11:08 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brodie0854
....and for gods sake please please move the moons further away from the planets, they look totally idiotic at their present distance, I know all the roids are a problem too but i can live with them, but please move the moons further away!
Oh gawd yes!

PS Cryptic devs: Please do some research on this little thing known as The Roche Limit.
Lt. Commander
# 9
11-05-2010, 11:16 AM
I'm already establishing standard orbit around planets by default simply because it feels more cinematic. I can't get enough of watching my ship glide along a planet's exosphere, TOS-style.

But it still sounds like a good idea, so why not. If it can easily be implemented and doesn't take too much resources away from other, more pressing matters.
Lt. Commander
# 10
11-05-2010, 11:29 AM
It'd be nice for objects and distances in space to feel as vast in this game as they did in the Independence War games.