Lt. Commander
# 11
11-05-2010, 01:05 PM
Going into standard orbit wouldn't make much sense if you're in the middle of ship combat. And i confess, sometimes while duking it out with the enemy, i stray too close to a planet and get that annoying effect. But its better i think than getting a popup asking me if i want to enter standard orbit, or even worse, doing it automatically while im trying to fight. Outside of combat, sure, bring it on, altho in some cases usually i just beam down right away, so couldn't really enjoy the effect. Jus sayin

I am entirely onboard for re-scaling of the planets though. EPIC ftw
Lt. Commander
# 12
11-05-2010, 01:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sernon
Standard Orbit would be sweet. Even as a cut-scene as you get close to the planet and press a button or something.

Anything is better than the current *point-your-ship-towards-the-dead-center-of-the-planet-full-speed-ahead-yehaaw-and-zone-whenever *.

---
i'm starting to think something like a cutscene might be best cuz really, how long does anyone NEED to orbit a planet? maybe 2-3 dialog boxes and then away team select.

the whole purpose would be eye-candy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by curzon176 View Post
altho in some cases usually i just beam down right away, so couldn't really enjoy the effect. Jus sayin
yea, and this proves what i just said.
Lt. Commander
# 13
11-05-2010, 01:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blyn
i'm starting to think something like a cutscene might be best cuz really, how long does anyone NEED to orbit a planet? maybe 2-3 dialog boxes and then away team select.
What do you mean with cutscene? A cinematic with in-game graphics? This sounds extremely boring and would get old fast, to the point of people wishing it had never been included since it just takes time.

Instead, how about a "standard orbit course" automatically getting laid in as soon as the mission trigger is reached and your BO reports that you're in range for scans, transport or hailing the planet?

This way it ...
  • wouldn't happen in combat (or any other situation where the mission does not require you to go to a planet)
  • might make for a nice background scenery whilst you're busy reading through the dialogue, replicating commodities or putting together your away team
  • lasts as long as the player wishes (depending on when/if he clicks the popup dialogue buttons)
Lt. Commander
# 14
11-05-2010, 01:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valias
What do you mean with cutscene? A cinematic with in-game graphics? This sounds extremely boring and would get old fast, to the point of people wishing it had never been included since it just takes time.

Instead, how about a "standard orbit course" automatically getting laid in as soon as the mission trigger is reached and your BO reports that you're in range for scans, transport or hailing the planet?

This way it ...
  • wouldn't happen in combat (or any other situation where the mission does not require you to go to a planet)
  • might make for a nice background scenery whilst you're busy reading through the dialogue, replicating commodities or putting together your away team
  • lasts as long as the player wishes (depending on when/if he clicks the popup dialogue buttons)
you're right, cut-scene was the wrong word to use... it definitely needs to be cancel-able whatever form it would take.
Lt. Commander
# 15
11-05-2010, 01:44 PM
Quote:
There is a landing party selection menu that comes up when you're about to beam down. You could merge that with standard orbit visuals, as in make that menu selection screen involve added visual elements. Loss of time would be equal to just using or skipping the existing menu.

---
Lt. Commander
# 16
11-05-2010, 02:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sernon
There is a landing party selection menu that comes up when you're about to beam down. You could merge that with standard orbit visuals, as in make that menu selection screen involve added visual elements. Loss of time would be equal to just using or skipping the existing menu.
So ... basically, what I just wrote?

(I'm sorry if my text is too ambiguous? )
Lt. Commander
# 17
11-05-2010, 02:22 PM
Quote:
So ... basically, what I just wrote?

(I'm sorry if my text is too ambiguous? )
I was quoted using the word, yet the above poster was made to explain himself. Seemed unfair.

---
Lt. Commander
# 18
11-05-2010, 02:29 PM
Wouldn't it work well just to have an invisible sphere around a planet?

This would force your ship to curve around the edge of the planet more.

No popup. No AI. Just a transparent shell.
Lt. Commander
# 19
11-05-2010, 02:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leviathan99
Wouldn't it work well just to have an invisible sphere around a planet?

This would force your ship to curve around the edge of the planet more.

No popup. No AI. Just a transparent shell.
Starfleet Command nailed it with a predefined orbit you entered from free flight at the push of a button. You could break away at will.

Sadly the zones here lack that kind of standardisation, can you even complete the orbit around all of the planets? Seem to recall meeting the "wall" on some maps.

---
Lt. Commander
# 20
11-05-2010, 03:09 PM
Well, we already have an "invisible" wall around planets - you hit it once your screen is all white.

As for completing the orbit, I guess that depends on the map. Last time when my Starfleet cruiser responded to an in-character request for assistance for the mission where you go retrieve the Orb from the MU, we got "lost" and ended up completing an entire circumnavigation of the planet on the map. It did take about two minutes to complete the cicle, by the way, even at full impulse. Then again, this was a very large planet. Most seem to be smaller.