Lt. Commander
# 1 Why are the interiors so BIG?
11-06-2010, 05:56 AM
Or are we too small?

Why are the turbolifts, corridors and the bridges so big compared to how they are supposed to look?

Is it some kind of game engine limitation or is just so people can move about more freely with more room?

If the latter then fair enough but why the big doors?

I''ve seen amatuers do a better job with Elite Force 1 and 2 years ago!

I just recently did the Q mission where you go aboard the USS Saratoga...Miranda Class in 2367 with 25th century interiors and lcars...really? Why not create something like this: http://ds9.trekcore.com/gallery/albu...missary027.jpg

Everything interior-wise is so over used and recycled in this game

The size of Quarks door in the game...hmm...you could get a shuttle through there! http://ds9.trekcore.com/gallery/albu...rrior2_501.jpg
Lt. Commander
# 2
11-06-2010, 06:30 AM
They have said it's because the game is played 3rd person, not 1st person, so therefore, you need larger scaling. I personally don't buy it, but....
Lt. Commander
# 3
11-06-2010, 07:19 AM
Interiors need to be large enough for 5 on 5 combat. You don't want to have to try and jump over allies to go and hit foes with your bat'leth. There needs to be a certain freedom of movement.
Lt. Commander
# 4
11-06-2010, 07:27 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SupAJ1M View Post
Why are the turbolifts, corridors and the bridges so big compared to how they are supposed to look?

Is it some kind of game engine limitation or is just so people can move about more freely with more room?

If the latter then fair enough but why the big doors?
The Dev's have stated in the past that the interiors are large to avoid excessive clipping of the free moving camera point of view...
Lt. Commander
# 5
11-06-2010, 07:45 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by millsdo View Post
They have said it's because the game is played 3rd person, not 1st person, so therefore, you need larger scaling. I personally don't buy it, but....
I don't buy it either. Everything seems better scaled in Champions Online and that's the same engine.
Lt. Commander
# 6
11-06-2010, 07:48 AM
Not to mention that Star Trek deserves better than "engine limitations. If there is an incompatibility, you don't change Star Trek to suit your engine, you change your engine to suit Star Trek.
Lt. Commander
# 7
11-06-2010, 07:55 AM
This has already been discussed at great length on the forums. There are many threads about it. It has to do with how the 3D engine's camera works, and the need for there to be plenty of room for missions involving large numbers of players. (The DS9 Fleet Action comes to mind.)
Lt. Commander
# 8
11-06-2010, 08:20 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galactrix View Post
I don't buy it either. Everything seems better scaled in Champions Online and that's the same engine.
Even Champions Online interiors are similar scaled. It's a lesson that Cryptic leaned from their first maps they designed for City of Heroes. There are cave interiors which are very narrow. CoH's team size is 8 and the maximum spawn size is 17, and there are spawn point location which can put 2 or 3 spawns within possible aggro distance of the team. Mass combat on those maps was just frustrating as hell. If you won't trusts the devs word on it. Trust my word as a player. I don't like the scaling aesthetics either, but the alternative of bad game play is much worse. Trust me.
Lt. Commander
# 9
11-06-2010, 09:25 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grouchy.Otaku
The Devs have stated in the past that the interiors are large to avoid excessive clipping of the free moving camera point of view.
This is the reason, and it's a perfectly sound reason.
Lt. Commander
# 10
11-06-2010, 12:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dixonium View Post
This is the reason, and it's a perfectly sound reason.
Not for social maps. Since when did it matter how many ppl are on a team when I'm walking through DS9 or my own ship interior?
Closed Thread