Go Back   Star Trek Online > Information and Discussion > The Academy
Login

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 21
11-09-2010, 08:44 AM
I'd like to see it as a special T3 Escort since we already have the Excelsior for the cruisers and Nebula for the Science ships.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 22
11-09-2010, 11:03 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by anazonda View Post
I think it will be a beginner ship. A little of all 3.
I suppose that would be the most logical assumption. It's weird enough that the ship would be as powerful as the TOS-Connie.

That being said, in the show, the NX was a science vessel.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 23
11-09-2010, 11:15 AM
The sure shot a lot of phase cannons for a science vessel.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 24
11-09-2010, 04:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valias
I suppose that would be the most logical assumption. It's weird enough that the ship would be as powerful as the TOS-Connie.
To be fair, if you take a tank or a navel ship or whatever from 10... 20... a hundred years ago... and put modern weapons on it, wouldn' it be almost as powerful as todays ships or tanks?

Quote:
That being said, in the show, the NX was a science vessel.
Wait, what? No it wasn't. Enterprise was designed to be a ship of exploration. That's the only hint to it's class on the show. However, it's a Cruiser I believe in Star Trek Legacy, so it's logical to assume it will be one here too.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 25
11-09-2010, 05:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bomyne View Post
To be fair, if you take a tank or a navel ship or whatever from 10... 20... a hundred years ago... and put modern weapons on it, wouldn' it be almost as powerful as todays ships or tanks?
In terms of raw weapon power? Yes. Acceleration, maximum speed, armour and electronic warfare? No. And of course you can only put as many weapons on that tank as it can physically carry.

Which translates nicely to STO by taking a T1 ship and slotting it with mark X gear. :p

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bomyne View Post
However, it's a Cruiser I believe in Star Trek Legacy, so it's logical to assume it will be one here too.
Just like the Akira is a cruiser in STO as well, because it was in Legacy?
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 26
11-09-2010, 06:01 PM
tier 6 retrofit refit
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 27
11-09-2010, 06:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valias
In terms of raw weapon power? Yes. Acceleration, maximum speed, armour and electronic warfare? No. And of course you can only put as many weapons on that tank as it can physically carry.

Which translates nicely to STO by taking a T1 ship and slotting it with mark X gear. :p
I agree with you on that one, it does translate well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valias
Just like the Akira is a cruiser in STO as well, because it was in Legacy?
That was for gameplay and to spread out canon ships througout the different types of vessels. The Akira is technically a Cruiser, in fact, almost every canon Starship in Star Trek is a Cruiser. Actually, the only ship that (in canon) was made to be different was the Defaint. which was the Federation's first real Warship.

So, the NX is a Cruiser, but technically speaking, it is a Light Cruiser, since it probably is going to be T1.


Actually, I would like it to be Tier .5, not as powerful as the TOS Connie, but not as weak as the Runabout.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 28
11-10-2010, 04:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdidy View Post
I agree with you on that one, it does translate well.



That was for gameplay and to spread out canon ships througout the different types of vessels. The Akira is technically a Cruiser, in fact, almost every canon Starship in Star Trek is a Cruiser. Actually, the only ship that (in canon) was made to be different was the Defaint. which was the Federation's first real Warship.

So, the NX is a Cruiser, but technically speaking, it is a Light Cruiser, since it probably is going to be T1.


Actually, I would like it to be Tier .5, not as powerful as the TOS Connie, but not as weak as the Runabout.
I disagree, both the Oberth and the Nova were explicitly referred to as Science vessels, why the Oberth wasn't in STO as the T2 Science vessel bumping the Nova up to T3, the Olympic up to T4 and the Intrepid up to T5, I don't know.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 29
11-10-2010, 05:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katic View Post
I disagree, both the Oberth and the Nova were explicitly referred to as Science vessels, why the Oberth wasn't in STO as the T2 Science vessel bumping the Nova up to T3, the Olympic up to T4 and the Intrepid up to T5, I don't know.
Because the Oberth class ship has been retired from service and replaced by the Nova... if this was the real star trek... but seeing as there are ships that have long been out of service running around the galaxy.. who the heck knows?!?

I can understand the Excelsior and Miranda classes because they are more versatile then the Constitution/Refit Connie or Oberth classes, even though the Oberth outlived the Constitution refit but I don't agree that the Connie/Connie refit or even the upcoming NX class has a place in the 25th century Starfleet so therefor I cannot agree with the Oberth even coming to the game...
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 30
11-10-2010, 06:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MelineAaele View Post
Not really, since its half the size of an Akira.. Roughly the same size as the Miranda infact
You're sure about that, are you? Do we know that it is intended to be actual nx class ships that's just been sitting around? Is that the deal? Engineers went to a starfleet junkyard and picked these out and put them back into service? Is that what you are telling us? Because in my fantasy world of startrek online, I believe some engineer had a hard-on for the nx class and re-designed her while keeping the basic hull design the same...an 'homage' if you will, to the original. But, your telling us that they will be actual old beat up nx class ships that have been sitting around. Well, that really doesn't make any sense at all.

...I'd still want one.
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:09 AM.