Lt. Commander
# 1 STO Fitting tool
01-30-2010, 02:15 PM
I know from my time in EVE-ONLINE how much time and care i and others took picking out our skill chains and also deciding how to setup our ships in regard to DPS, speed, tank and energy consumption.

The godsend to the problems of fitting effective ships was created and it was simply named "EFT" (EVE fitting tool).

You could choose your currant or future skills, it allowed you to apply those skills to ANY ship in the game, the ship itself could be fitted with any module the game had to offer (if it was allowed to fit them) and EFT applied all the data from your build of choice and your trained skills and gave you the exact hit points, DPS, volley damage, speed, energy consumption ect ect ect.

Having the same type of thing for STOL that allows us to virtually set our skills to however we choose and to fit our ships of choice with the consoles and weapons available and having it show us power consumption VS power generation figures as well as ship speed, DPS, shield regen ammounts ect ect, in fact all relavant data that will allow us to see if our creations are viable would be a huge help.

Even now after playing since open beta i can find nobody who can tell me exactly how much energy each type and lvl of each energy weapon consumes to fire, if larger/higher lvl ships generate more E than low lvl or if high lvl guns consume more than low lvl ones or exactly how much they do.

This would be a great tool and although i have not the slightest clue on how to create it im sure there are many fans of STO with the technical knowledge to be able to, after all EFT was created by a player i think and not CCP although i believe he had CCP's assistance for the stats of each ship/module ect.

What do you think?.

Yours

Achilles Giga Crainium.
Lt. Commander
# 2
01-30-2010, 02:17 PM
Not going to happen for at least a couple weeks to months, until folks start getting better gear and understanding of the game mechanics.

As for such tool, I personally could care less. I'm not a min/maximist, so I don't need the best possible setup for situation a, b and c. Fun's the first priority. Spending hours in a tool/spreadsheet to calculate something is not my definition of fun.
Lt. Commander
# 3
01-30-2010, 02:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slough-3yeZ
Not going to happen for at least a couple weeks to months, until folks start getting better gear and understanding of the game mechanics.

As for such tool, I personally could care less. I'm not a min/maximist, so I don't need the best possible setup for situation a, b and c. Fun's the first priority. Spending hours in a tool/spreadsheet to calculate something is not my definition of fun.
I hope they have summat in the works at least, not just for min/maxers but for every player who spends weeks or longer setting up and training his toon only to find out that the weapons, ship and fit he has trained for runs out of energy after just a few volleys.

At the very least weapons should have there energy consumption stats on the description/info and ship stats should show its output preferably modified to the owners skills and its consoles but even raw data would help.
Lt. Commander
# 4
01-30-2010, 02:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slough-3yeZ

I agree totally. One of the reasons that I've stopped playing Eve again!

Should be noted that EFT is a 3rd party application made by people who play the game. So yeh, it's inevitable that a similar program will come out eventually but I don't think anyone has a good enough overview of all the stats in the game to accomplish this (just take a look at the sto wiki!).

It wouldn't supprise me if people have started prototyping such software already.
Lt. Commander
# 5
01-30-2010, 03:44 PM
To reiterate what other posters wrote, EFT and another program, Evemon, are 3rd party programs developed by players who know a ton about programming. STO just came out and it'll be awhile before something similar, if any is going to come out. I believe, EFT and Evemon took a long time and many adjustments to come out after the first launch of Eve back in 2003. STO, at the moment, is much less complex than Eve, but give it some time. I'm sure someone, somewhere in the STO world, will come up with something.

If ya don't know already, there is a STO character builder (google it) where you can plan your skill levels based on if you are tactical, engineering, or science. This is based on the skill cap (which I'm not too sure about since cryptic said there was going to be no skill cap, but now there is). It is a web-based program, so nothing to download. Just have to copy, paste, and bookmark the url of your own personal settings. Glad I knew about this cause at first I was just going to level up everything to 9, but that is now not the case.

Enjoy.
Lt. Commander
# 6
07-25-2010, 06:04 PM
It's really disappointing that cryptic didn't give battleclinic the support they needed to make the similar stuff that happened with eve available over there....would have been a great resource for us...
Lt. Commander
# 7 STO Fitting Tool
11-11-2010, 06:17 AM
I have been playing EvE for over 2.5 yrs now and I know first hand the value of EFT. My large alliance is involved in large scale pvp on a daily basis. Our leaders use eft to maximize the effectiveness of their pilots' ships to accomplish the tasks at hand. STO has no large scale pvp at this time but the small scale fighting that it does have can be fine tuned to be very impressive. We all know what its like when we face a premade team in an arena. The coordination, the healers the dmg dealers, a fitting tool could help to maximize these teams to become the Best!

STO Fitting Tool is actually somthing I have been trying to develop. Im an Engineering student with many friends in computer eng who would love the challenge of programming this tool. There is a great use for a tool like this when it comes to knowing the effectiveness of your ships in PvE or even PvP. But you are right there is a lack of intel of the details and the math of sto. I wont give up though, I have a vision for STOFIT and I will do everything i can to see this through.

What I need from the players is research. Get involved with STO Wiki and make a contribution. Add to the knowledge base, and empower the players to create truly awesome 3rd party software for STO.
-Scheballs
Closed Thread