Go Back   Star Trek Online > Feedback > PvP Gameplay
Login

Lt. Commander
Just sat in the stupid PVP queue for an hour with a buddy. We're on Klink side, with 8 others queued up with us. Slowly the feds make it up to 4 and the PVP queuer makes a game, only to pass us over. This happened four damn times in the space of an hour --- even when it was clear that we had been waiting in the queue longer than anyone else. I enjoy playing your game Cryptic, when it doesn't make me so mad that I want to cancel my account. There's a lot of posts on here about why more people don't play Klingons, and why PVP is unbalanced, but for my money, the real problem with PVP is the piece of crap software that makes the matches. I've often joked with my friends as we sit for 20 minutes with enough players in the queue to make a match and get nothing that I should report the damn thing as being bugged, but honestly: this is a known issue, so fix the stupid thing.
Lt. Commander
# 2
11-09-2010, 11:03 PM
if it can't create a team of 5 with the first people in the queue it will skip them. If there was a 4 or 5 man team in the queue constantly (and not enough loose klinks to fill out 5 otherwise) it would persistantly skip over you.
Lt. Commander
# 3
11-10-2010, 12:07 AM
Do better yourself then.
Lt. Commander
# 4
11-10-2010, 01:26 AM
The sign up for 3 qeues is probably the worst decisions any game company has ever made. Ok maybe an exaggeration but it basically ensures that games have lopsided teams. Especially when the population isn't as big as it once was. Add that to allowing pre-mades with pugs and you got what we have now. I haven't qeued up in 5-6 months it's so bad.
Lt. Commander
# 5
11-10-2010, 06:33 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by anazonda View Post
Do better yourself then.
Yeah, how dare a paid subscriber call attention to a problem. I agree with you, anazonda, we should automatically dismiss such feedback without the slightest consideration. That way the game stays in its current bug and problem free state for everyone to enjoy.
Lt. Commander
# 6
11-10-2010, 06:37 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by faithborn
if it can't create a team of 5 with the first people in the queue it will skip them. If there was a 4 or 5 man team in the queue constantly (and not enough loose klinks to fill out 5 otherwise) it would persistantly skip over you.
You're a pretty awesome poster, faithborn, and I like seeing what you have to say. Can you link me to a dev description of the queue that clearly explains this, or is this just an observation based on personal experience? I agree that the system will do this, I'm just trying to find a clear explanation of the system from the staff.
Lt. Commander
# 7
11-10-2010, 07:59 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CWRicheson View Post
You're a pretty awesome poster, faithborn, and I like seeing what you have to say. Can you link me to a dev description of the queue that clearly explains this, or is this just an observation based on personal experience? I agree that the system will do this, I'm just trying to find a clear explanation of the system from the staff.
I worked it out over several months. I wouldn't be able to find a dev post but here's what personal experience says.
  • The queuing system will make a game of 5 using the first available people, when possible.
  • The queuing system will pull from the people waiting longest in line, when possible.
  • The system must make a game, whenever possible.

As a result of the system, if the queues will do whatever it takes to make a match happen as soon as possible. Unfortunately, as a by-product of the system the queues do have some wierd effects.
  • If the queue cannot make a game with the people waiting longest in line, it will skip them
  • If the queue cannot make a game with the people waiting in line (due to wierd team makeups preventing a group of 5), it will not launch.
  • If the queue has to skip a person, it can sometimes forget that that person is in the queue (rare)
  • If the queue forgets a person, they will have leave the queue and reenter it to be counted.
Lt. Commander
# 8
11-10-2010, 08:10 AM
re: faithborn: What about situations where there are 6 Feds and 6 Klinks in the queue, and it sits for 20 minutes or more without making a match --- which I've seen all too often recently? Does the queue have problems with making a game if you have, for example 3 groups of 2? I think your list seems generally correct based on my experience, but I have seen some truly inexplicable results (I suppose a result of it 'forgetting' that someone is present?).

re: anazonda: Thanks for a truly childish response. Back under your bridge, troll.
Lt. Commander
# 9
11-10-2010, 08:14 AM
Unless your point is that Arena matches are hard-capped at 5 v 5, in which case the weirdness becomes less weird and the failure to include scaling Arena matches for more than 5 on a side becomes the real problem.
Lt. Commander
# 10
11-10-2010, 08:29 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMuse View Post
re: faithborn: What about situations where there are 6 Feds and 6 Klinks in the queue, and it sits for 20 minutes or more without making a match --- which I've seen all too often recently? Does the queue have problems with making a game if you have, for example 3 groups of 2? I think your list seems generally correct based on my experience, but I have seen some truly inexplicable results (I suppose a result of it 'forgetting' that someone is present?).

re: anazonda: Thanks for a truly childish response. Back under your bridge, troll.
pretty much it has to produce a 5v5 in order to start, if 2 people drop from the queue then it will go as a 4v4.

Ya, its pretty wierd sometimes