Go Back   Star Trek Online > Feedback > PvP Gameplay
Login

Lt. Commander
# 11
11-10-2010, 09:32 AM
Please, please, please... pretty please with tribbles on top... do not mess with the queue. Remember what happened last time they "tweaked" it?
Lt. Commander
# 12
11-10-2010, 09:41 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BorrowedTune
Please, please, please... pretty please with tribbles on top... do not mess with the queue. Remember what happened last time they "tweaked" it?
I vaguely recall it taking a month or so for them to fix it, in which 7th core ended up dying due to lack of pvp. Sad, sad times.
Lt. Commander
# 13
11-10-2010, 10:29 AM
Quote:
Sounds like that was no fun at all. Just to clarify, I'd like to see changes without huge problems. I don't think anyone is advocating for a giant mess.

It does seem sad, though, that folk have so little trust in the developers that they would rather see no changes for fear of problems.
Lt. Commander
# 14
11-10-2010, 10:34 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by faithborn
I vaguely recall it taking a month or so for them to fix it, in which 7th core ended up dying due to lack of pvp. Sad, sad times.
7th core didn't die, we mostly just went into a hibernation-like state for the time being. But the queue system did drive away a lot of our members. Hopefully they'll be back to check up on the game in a few months. Eric Carter has been about a little bit. Hopefully queues will fill out a little more too.
Lt. Commander
# 15
11-10-2010, 11:17 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMuse View Post
re: faithborn: What about situations where there are 6 Feds and 6 Klinks in the queue, and it sits for 20 minutes or more without making a match --- which I've seen all too often recently? Does the queue have problems with making a game if you have, for example 3 groups of 2? I think your list seems generally correct based on my experience, but I have seen some truly inexplicable results (I suppose a result of it 'forgetting' that someone is present?).
The most likely reason is that you have 2 teams of 3 on either the Fed or Klink side. The system is unable to make a team of 5 and keep the teams together at the same time. So... it doesn't launch. I've had this happen to me. As a test, I left my team, and as soon as I did, the match started.
Lt. Commander
# 16
11-10-2010, 02:24 PM
Quote:
Srsly. And then, in a blaze of brilliance, they held another "Welcome Back Weekend" in spite of all of our pleas for them to hold off until they could find the time to fix it.
Lt. Commander
# 17
11-10-2010, 09:00 PM
Yep. Right now, the FvF Arena queue has had 10 people in it for 20+ minutes, & I am in a 5 person team, so it's not a thing where it can't make a clean 5v5. Clearly working as intended, and should not be touched, because god forbid there's a possibility that they might make it where it won't make a pvp match... oh, wait...
Lt. Commander
# 18
11-11-2010, 01:01 AM
If they ever want to improve the Queue again they better create a way to test it without players. There must be a way to write a unit test or something that tests the Queue logic without making Holodeck the testbed. Because Holodeck as a testbed was a disaster. The only consolation is that the current Queues work better then the old ones. But the way there was painful and harmful to PvP.

Maybe, if unit tests is not enough, create a way to have both Queues in the game at the same time, so people can queue up for the PvP Queue and PvP Queue (Beta). Or make a PvP Queue test on Tribble where every participant gets earns a 100 C-Store Points or a free respec token or something on Holodeck. Maybe that will give us enough players to really test it.
Lt. Commander
# 19
11-11-2010, 10:48 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMuse View Post
Yep. Right now, the FvF Arena queue has had 10 people in it for 20+ minutes, & I am in a 5 person team, so it's not a thing where it can't make a clean 5v5. Clearly working as intended, and should not be touched, because god forbid there's a possibility that they might make it where it won't make a pvp match... oh, wait...
It is still possible that it can't launch a match. If there is a team of 2,3, or 4 ahead of your team of 5 players in the que, it may get stuck. It always tries to launch a match on a first come first serve basis. So it will put the first team of 2 people in, then it comes to your team of 5. Since it can't break up your team, it gets stuck.

A way around this is to que up individually. Not an ideal situation by far, but at least some of you will see some action.
Lt. Commander
# 20
11-11-2010, 11:39 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Latinumbar
It is still possible that it can't launch a match. If there is a team of 2,3, or 4 ahead of your team of 5 players in the que, it may get stuck. It always tries to launch a match on a first come first serve basis. So it will put the first team of 2 people in, then it comes to your team of 5. Since it can't break up your team, it gets stuck.

A way around this is to que up individually. Not an ideal situation by far, but at least some of you will see some action.
If intended to be a defense of the current queue system, this explanation makes no sense. There are 10 total people in the queue. One group of 5 (mine) and 5 other people in unknown group configurations. Remember that this is FvF, so all it needs to do is put my 5 on one side, and everyone else on the other, and voila 5v5 match achieved. That is possibly the simplest function that a queue system can tackle, and it failed.