Lt. Commander
# 1 Ship based ground missions
11-10-2010, 05:23 AM
How many times on Trek do we see pretty much the entire episode take place on board the ship? Crew going mad, some alien phenomina needing investigating, something has broken down and there are problems repairing it, that kind of thing.

It would need some work done to the ships, giving you more free movement about them instead of being limited to crew quarters/engine room/bridge, but this would allow us to have a lot more variety in our missions. For example, there was a mission in Romulan space where you needed to work out a cure for a plague. Why not scan the patients, then beam back to your ship to use the facilities in medbay? If the mission involves scanning a nebula for something, head down to astrometrics.

Haven't had much more thought on the matter than I've posted here, but what do you guys think?
Lt. Commander
# 2
11-10-2010, 05:28 AM
Just wait for the foundry.

Although we'll probly see missions onboard your ship in the near future anyways the foundry will let you make loads of your own though
Lt. Commander
# 3
11-10-2010, 09:33 AM
Yeah, there have been many examples in Trek history where the action never left the ship. It's nice to be able to visit Engineering, Sick Bay, Mess Hall, and a couple other places right now, but you can't really do much there...yet. I would love a mission where the ship gets disabled in some kind of shockwave or storm and you and the crew have to repair the ship in time, but while doing so, you get boarded by someone (Romulans, Orion Syndicate, hell...even the Ferengi would be fun), and then you have to fight them off. Another good example would be the aforementioned epidemic, and we have to try and stop it before the crew is wiped out.

Also I'd like to one day maybe see the reverse: ground-based ship missions. Something like you'd see in Voyager, where you need to land the ship on a planet, or maybe even make a crash landing. It's a lot, but I hope someday it can be done.
Lt. Commander
# 4
11-19-2010, 12:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bort1980 View Post
How many times on Trek do we see pretty much the entire episode take place on board the ship? Crew going mad, some alien phenomina needing investigating, something has broken down and there are problems repairing it, that kind of thing.

It would need some work done to the ships, giving you more free movement about them instead of being limited to crew quarters/engine room/bridge, but this would allow us to have a lot more variety in our missions. For example, there was a mission in Romulan space where you needed to work out a cure for a plague. Why not scan the patients, then beam back to your ship to use the facilities in medbay? If the mission involves scanning a nebula for something, head down to astrometrics.

Haven't had much more thought on the matter than I've posted here, but what do you guys think?
Yeah, this is another aspect of all the trek shows that needs to be brought into the game. Along with holodeck missions. Imagine the baddy that boards your vessel is a non-bipedal monster and its attacking your crew. And you have to track it and hunt it down, maybe innoculate those it infects. (sorry i think i'm ripping off Alien here)
Lt. Commander
# 5
11-19-2010, 07:31 PM
The problem with ship based missions is that people have different ships with different designs. This is partly why i'd like to see a period of the game where you serve under an NPC captain on their ship before you get your own command. At least as an optional career path.

In any case, I hope to create and play some missions like with the Foundry.
Lt. Commander
# 6
11-20-2010, 05:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheels00 View Post
The problem with ship based missions is that people have different ships with different designs.
Yep, hit the nail on the head. The map makers would have to first setup triggers for that mission, then setup the maps depending on which ship you're using. It's extremely time consuming to make and test.

Once more variety of player ship maps are created then adding in the various NPC spawn points, waypoints, navigation points for NPC, ect... becomes easier.
Lt. Commander
# 7
11-20-2010, 05:56 AM
I would like to see things taking place on YOUR ship. When an alien invades a ship and I have to fight them off, its always some other ship that I'm beaming to. Why cant they invade my ship damnit! :p