Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 21
11-10-2010, 11:58 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by superlink1 View Post

4th Slot.
Commander Eng, Commander Tac, LT Com Eng, LT Com Sci, Ensign Eng.
BoP has Cmdr, Lt cmdr, Lt, Lt. All universal slots for you to play with

4 Weapon fores, 4 Weapon afts
Who cares about 4/4 weapon slots when you can have your DHCs, torpedo tube, turrets, and DBB facing the enemy nearly all the time in a BoP?

Turn Rate 25% better
BoP = most agile craft in the game

should be Fair and Able to Stand up to All T5 Ships.
Many feddies consider a well flown BoP borderline overpowered, but we all know it's just cause we're cooler

Phaser Lance should have 60 seconds cooldown
BO3 + HY3 + CSV3 = 30 second cooldown, and you can activate all at once

Galaxy X is ONLY Ship that has Battlecloak.
You know there's already a ship that has sole rights to the battlecloak right?

should have BETTER HULL than Refit Galaxy.
You'd trade all the above for more hull? Really?

Saucer Seperation
Fly the BoP my friend, where you don't need to chop off your head in order to turn on a dime

here's my friend's ticket number:
999.172

you guys agree with this improvement?
Do you agree with my suggestion?
My reply in red
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 22
11-10-2010, 12:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by superlink1 View Post
you guys agree with this improvement?

Available as a C-Store Item: 1,000 Emblems or 4,000 C-Points
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 23 I don't get some of you
11-10-2010, 12:57 PM
There is no way that the Gal-X is balanced with any other tier 5 cruiser, yet they give it the title Dreadnaught which implies it is a bigger more powerful version of the cruiser. I ran it for awhile and spent most of my time in reverse so I could keep cannon arc on target. The turn rate is the same as the tier 4 galaxy, not the tier 5 retrofit. At the very least we should get the turn rate of the tier 5 galaxy. You give up weapon slots for a relatively poor phaser lance, which also ties you down to phaser only weapons. You give up a console slot as well. The ship isn't nearly as good as the free options for cruisers. It pales before the Excelsior which costs half the c-store points. Frankly I'd be happier if they just made the gal-x a skin for the assault cruiser than what we have now.

Some of you actually think this is balanced and I think you are wrong. And lets not ignore that this is by far the most expensive c-store item in the game. While I don't think $25 should get you an I Win button you should get a ship as good as the ones that cost half as much. The Gal-X is not as good. It is a poor ship compared to the alternatives and yet is the only Dreadnaught available for Feds.

A different comparison could be made with the Klingon battlecruisers, the ship most like the Gal-X since they are both cruisers which can fire cannons. Any doubt with anyone which ship is superior, the Gal-X or the Negh'var? It's not even close, and even the huge Negh'var does not carry the title Dreadnaught.

It would be a viable option vs the Excelsior if they increased the turn rate to that of the Sov or the Galaxy refit, and gave it a 3rd tac console slot and make the boff layout like the Excelsior. Then it is a viable choice with the ship that costs half as much. Frankly the ship wouold be a lot better if they just gave it the same stats and layout as the Negh'var. Neither of these options would make it an overpowered ship; unfortunately the changes the OP suggests would be overpowered; you might pick one or two of those changes and lose the rest.

I don't want the Gal-X to be the mandatory ship, but it would be nice for people who spent 25 bucks on it to make it a viable choice between the other c-store cruisers and the free ones.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 24
11-10-2010, 12:59 PM
This was my suggestions from another thread

I did this sort of based on the nebula. A cruiser converted to science. In this case a cruiser converted to tactical, not to the degree of the Excelsior though.

No changes on weaponry or with the cloak. The spinal phaser should recharge should be halved. Ideally I’d change the Bridge officer stations to all universal (1 Comm, 2 LC, and 1 Lt). That alone would make the ship worthwhile.

This allows maximum flexibility although with the bad turn radius they won’t be able to be properly utilized. The maneuverability is bad enough (I only suggest adding a single point to it) that I doubt anyone would complain about it getting this advantage. It would also make it worthwhile for purchase/a desirable reward, and make it a Jack of All Trades, allowing users maximum flexibility.

Quote:
Bridge Officer Stations:
Universal: Lieutenant (1), Lieutenant Commander (2), Commander (1)
Total Available Powers: 12
--or--

Alternatively this is another approach without the universal slots. Like on the Excelsior the LC bridge officer slot allows the Galaxy-X to touch the higher tier tactical powers. To more portry its dreadnought origins the LC science station also grants it a bit better powers then usually available. The Commander engineering station betrays its origins as a cruiser, while the LT station adds a bit of utility (I found this slot useful on the Galaxy-R.

Quote:
Bridge Officer Stations:
Tactical: Lieutenant Commander (1)
Engineering: Lieutenant (1), Commander (1)
Science: Lieutenant Commander (1)
Total Available Powers: 12
I think being a dreadnought it should have another slot in tactical rather then engineering.

Quote:
Modification Slots:
Tactical: 3
Engineering: 3
Science: 2
One device slot lost, but maneuverability goes up 1 point. Although as the galaxy and retrofit versions both have the same maneuverability I might make it 6 too.

Quote:
Device Slots: 3
Crew Size: 1000
Impulse Speed: 15
Turning Rate: 5
Lastly Graphics. Would it be possible to allow an upgrade using any of the current galaxy hulls. Allot of people liked the celestial and envoy as well as the tier 5 retrofit versions (good job on those BTW). The spinal laser along with the third nacelle support wouldn’t need changed (although you might do something with the nebula support).
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 25
11-10-2010, 02:28 PM
[quote=MustrumRidcully;3145830]I disagree with the idea that the Galaxy-X should get a better turn rate. It might be great for it to have it, but that doesn't necessarily mean its a good idea. If the Galaxies have this turn rate, no reason to change it for the X.

You do realize that the Gal X was a major retro fit upgraded Gal right? Meaning it was FAR Superior to the Gal itself? Fire power, Hull armor, shields and engines right? Not to mention this ship cost MORE by far then any other ship in the C-store and yet the Excel is better because not only does it equal the Gal X in stats but is much faster with a 4th weapon slot in the rear. The need to make the Gal X Stronger in hull and more powerful. I would think at least a slight turn upgrade is needed at least. For 2k C-store points we should get a stronger ship then one that costs 1200.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 26
11-10-2010, 02:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by XJadynX View Post
Not to mention this ship cost MORE by far then any other ship in the C-store...
If you thought you were paying for an unbalanced ship that was going to give you an advantage you were wrong. That's not how these games are supposed to work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by XJadynX View Post
...and yet the Excel is better because not only does it equal the Gal X in stats but is much faster with a 4th weapon slot in the rear.
The Excelsior-R does not have...

A Cloak. Which amounts to the ability to choose the time and place of combat. Which give a +15% damage bonus to your alpha strike.

Cannons. Which admittedly are basically useless on a Fed Cruiser due to the turn rates.

A Phaser Lance. Which is essentially a free Beam Overload 3, a T3 Tactical power. Though it's arc is limited, it again makes for a good alpha on approach.

Quote:
Originally Posted by XJadynX View Post
For 2k C-store points we should get a stronger ship then one that costs 1200.
No. No you shouldn't. You should get a ship with advantages and disadvantages just like every other ship. The reason the Gal-X costs more isn't because it's better, but because it was a referral reward that had a number of people foolishly buy and subscribe to the game multiple times so they could get it despite the fact that it was supposed to be free to people who spread the word about STO. Since folks blew so much money trying to get something that was supposed to be free Cryptic felt they had to weigh that fact into pricing when they moved it to the store.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 27
11-10-2010, 03:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyHappyJoyJoy View Post
No. No you shouldn't. You should get a ship with advantages and disadvantages just like every other ship. The reason the Gal-X costs more isn't because it's better, but because it was a referral reward that had a number of people foolishly buy and subscribe to the game multiple times so they could get it despite the fact that it was supposed to be free to people who spread the word about STO. Since folks blew so much money trying to get something that was supposed to be free Cryptic felt they had to weigh that fact into pricing when they moved it to the store.
Let's not forget one of the common complaints that arose when the referral program launched was that a lot of people didn't have 5 people to recruit. They had already told their friends to join and they did. But I digress...

I'll repeat what I said earlier. The G-X needs to be tweaked, yes. The ship as a whole does not measure up to my Excelsior, both of which are supposed to be T5. That's as a whole, not just weapons, or turn-rate. Of all of the T5 cruisers on the Federation side, the G-X is the weakest. Yet its name suggests otherwise.

But what the OP suggests is overkill.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 28
11-10-2010, 03:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idali
No.

/10char
Agrees

/10c
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 29
11-15-2010, 03:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyHappyJoyJoy View Post
If you thought you were paying for an unbalanced ship that was going to give you an advantage you were wrong. That's not how these games are supposed to work.
I was not looking for an unbalanced ship that was going to give me an advantage. I was looking for a ship worth 2k C-store points vs a 1.2k ship that so far has proven a far better ship for 800 less.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyHappyJoyJoy View Post
The Excelsior-R does not have...

A Cloak. Which amounts to the ability to choose the time and place of combat. Which give a +15% damage bonus to your alpha strike.

Cannons. Which admittedly are basically useless on a Fed Cruiser due to the turn rates.

A Phaser Lance. Which is essentially a free Beam Overload 3, a T3 Tactical power. Though it's arc is limited, it again makes for a good alpha on approach.
The cloak is as useless as they are for the Klinks. Sure I pop out with an attack bonus... to bad it does little to nothing to help a battle and leaves me with little to nothing else. Much like the klinks I've given up on using the cloak except for a very few rare circumstances like the Gorn VA daily.

Yes big cannons are VERY useless on a ship this slow

The phaser lance is a joke. I might as well use Beam overload 3 as I can get a better arc with an array with less of a cool down and will actually do more damage to shields. Not to mention the Excel has a T3 slot on it to allow you to do just that. Which means I can get Beam overload 3... use it with an array getting a MUCH better firing arc, on a ship that turns MUCH better AND on a ship with the same hull, shields and power output as a ship that is suppose to be much stronger... hmmmm


Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyHappyJoyJoy View Post
No. No you shouldn't. You should get a ship with advantages and disadvantages just like every other ship. The reason the Gal-X costs more isn't because it's better, but because it was a referral reward that had a number of people foolishly buy and subscribe to the game multiple times so they could get it despite the fact that it was supposed to be free to people who spread the word about STO. Since folks blew so much money trying to get something that was supposed to be free Cryptic felt they had to weigh that fact into pricing when they moved it to the store.
And this justifies making people pay more for a ship that's not on par with the others? The descrip and over all pitch of the Gal X on the C-store is misleading and it is not worth 2k points. Now I will admit that I went a little over board on what I would change on the Gal X still though this ship needs upgrades to make it worth the 2k points.

What would I change now that I think of it more and not flying from the hip?

Slightly better turning.. somewhere between the Gal R and the Excel

Lowered Phaser lance cool down. I would go with 1 minute and possibly make it a little stronger

4th rear weapon slot.

Same Bo Load out as the Excel ( again Maybe ) rather then an Ensign and LT tactical slot 1 LTC slot

Simple as that. Whatever is done if anything which I doubt This ship is not worth 2k C points and even if it was brought down to 1.2k it still would not be worth it with the excel being a much better ship.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 30
11-15-2010, 04:19 PM
Quote:
Galaxy X Improvements Needed:

4th Slot.
Commander Eng, Commander Tac, LT Com Eng, LT Com Sci, Ensign Eng. I think the current set up is fine

4 Weapon fores, 4 Weapon afts. Don't take weapons away from the ship. Agreed
A cruiser is a cruiser

should be Fair and Able to Stand up to All T5 Ships. Agreed

Phaser Lance should have 60 seconds cooldown I would suggest a 10 degree arc to go with it.I have no problem with this

It should have battle cloak, but not be exclusive I'm on the fence with this one. Battlecloak for Fed assault cruiser is a slippery slope.

should have BETTER HULL than Refit Galaxy. or at least comparable hull Definitely
Quote:
Originally Posted by Commadore_Bob
As always, this is just my two cents.

I've played with the G-X and I'm flying the Excelsior because the G-X is a relative paper ship. But what you suggested is overkill.
I refuse to fly the Excelsior. Primarily because I think it's an ugly ship. It should have a reduced hull to compensate for it's LtC. Tac and superior turn rate. That's just my opinion.
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:10 PM.