Lt. Commander
Here's a great idea for pvp, let users create missions and maps after the Foundation comes out, and the cryptic team focus' entirely on getting new factions out. Why, because if STO was ever to free-to-play, then players competing against each other is a major attraction, and right now...there is only 2 factions...hummmm
Lt. Commander
# 2
11-10-2010, 08:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alextar
Here's a great idea for pvp, let users create missions and maps after the Foundation comes out, and the cryptic team focus' entirely on getting new factions out. Why, because if STO was ever to free-to-play, then players competing against each other is a major attraction, and right now...there is only 2 factions...hummmm
Second Foundation is OP!!

Yours in Hari Seldon Plasma,
Star*Dagger
Lt. Commander
# 3
11-10-2010, 09:14 PM
Firstly, there is no word on when or even IF STO will go Free to Play. If it does, you can probably kiss future development of any kind goodbye.

Secondly, the Foundry is already a pretty obvious attempt to offload the cost of much of the mission content development to the community. It is also an ENORMOUS gamble...basically, Cryptic is gambling on the ability of the STO community to produce good work in an appreciable quantity. I personally predict a lot of Mary Sue.

Thirdly, what is it with people pushing for new factions already? STO could have a dozen factions, and it seems that people would want more. Jeeze guys, lets try to focus instead of running off like a sugar addled kid. Make what you have excellent, and use that as a foundation for further additions.

Fourthly...just HOW would more factions benefit PvP...in ANY way? Seriously...this would reduce the player quantity in any one faction (spreading the community between even more groups) which then reduces both the general level of player skill and the quantity queuing for PvP.

And before you start mumbling and yelling about open PvP: We don't have any, and while they are working on some sort of system, we have no idea what form it will take. I feel pretty certain it will NOT be like what many people hope it will be, with dynamic territory control (which is unfortunate). Also, it is a ways off, so lets try to deal with what we have right now.
Lt. Commander
# 4
11-12-2010, 07:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasGideon
Firstly, there is no word on when or even IF STO will go Free to Play. If it does, you can probably kiss future development of any kind goodbye.

Secondly, the Foundry is already a pretty obvious attempt to offload the cost of much of the mission content development to the community. It is also an ENORMOUS gamble...basically, Cryptic is gambling on the ability of the STO community to produce good work in an appreciable quantity. I personally predict a lot of Mary Sue.

Thirdly, what is it with people pushing for new factions already? STO could have a dozen factions, and it seems that people would want more. Jeeze guys, lets try to focus instead of running off like a sugar addled kid. Make what you have excellent, and use that as a foundation for further additions.

Fourthly...just HOW would more factions benefit PvP...in ANY way? Seriously...this would reduce the player quantity in any one faction (spreading the community between even more groups) which then reduces both the general level of player skill and the quantity queuing for PvP.

And before you start mumbling and yelling about open PvP: We don't have any, and while they are working on some sort of system, we have no idea what form it will take. I feel pretty certain it will NOT be like what many people hope it will be, with dynamic territory control (which is unfortunate). Also, it is a ways off, so lets try to deal with what we have right now.
Not only that ,the feddies cant even keep ground pvp queues full for any length of time.Thats only 5 people BTW.Four hours of pvp gameplay and three matches?Cmon feds thats pathetic.There doesnt seem to be any reason to expand pvp when we cant even keep the queues we have filled with 5 people who actually learn and play as opposed to dropping out like losers and accuse others of hacking.
Lt. Commander
# 5
11-12-2010, 08:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCMS View Post
Not only that ,the feddies cant even keep ground pvp queues full for any length of time.Thats only 5 people BTW.Four hours of pvp gameplay and three matches?Cmon feds thats pathetic.There doesnt seem to be any reason to expand pvp when we cant even keep the queues we have filled with 5 people who actually learn and play as opposed to dropping out like losers and accuse others of hacking.
there is no fun in ground PvP. i hate, loathe, and despise the ground combat mechanic of the game. its worse than the torpedo misfires, and unclickable space abilities in PvP
Lt. Commander
# 6
11-12-2010, 11:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasGideon
Cryptic is gambling on the ability of the STO community to produce good work in an appreciable quantity. I personally predict a lot of Mary Sue.
I wouldn't say it's a gamble that there would be people out there capable of doing something interesting, what I would say is a gamble is if those people would be willing to give up their intellectual creativity because as soon as they've put it in game CBS owns it.

For that reason alone I know I wont ever try to be remotely creative with the story aspect of it, would rather keep creative ideas for my own works.