Lt. Commander
# 11
11-11-2010, 03:29 AM
Its largely down to teamwork, or the lack of it. I've been working through the RA levels doing PvP as a Fed Eng in a cruiser. Usually I find the PUG may accept my team invites but then we pretty much end up all doing our own thing, with no cross healing or even talk in team chat. Result we are lucky to get one or two kills a match.

On the rare occasion that I find a PUG that is willing to work as a team, both in healing and focusing fire, we either win or at least only loose by a few kills.

For whatever reason most Fed players (from my personal experience) do not seem to want to work together as a team - I have tried - I always send team invites at the start of the maps, suggest we stick together to heal each other and I usually try and call out targets but a hell of a lot of fed players just ignore you. Virtually impossible to win in that scenario unless the other side are just as disorganised.

Whether you are a good or bad player (and I'm certainly no expert), if you end up on a team of people that will not work together, you are going to loose to any team that does understand the meaning of the word "team".

If/when you come across a group that try and work together, suggest in team chat during the fight sticking together after the match for a few matches, usually you'll then get a good run of games where you will actually have a chance to win.

Above all, don't let it put you off. If you find your team getting massacred, just treat it as a practise session and see how many kills you can get or use it as a chance to practise escape and evasion techniques.
Lt. Commander
# 12
11-11-2010, 03:35 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MustrumRidcully View Post
You have to understand, "outside" is not above your basement in mom's kitchen. :p
Pfft. Whatev'. Next thing you'll try to tell me is that the yellow sun isn't the source of light when I open up the fridge.
Lt. Commander
# 13
11-11-2010, 03:47 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveHale View Post
Pfft. Whatev'. Next thing you'll try to tell me is that the yellow sun isn't the source of light when I open up the fridge.
Indeed!

Furthermore, that yellow orb above your (moms) bathroom mirror isnt the sun either.
Lt. Commander
# 14
11-11-2010, 06:36 AM
PvP is a rollercoaster of a ride. Some days its fun and you are death on a stick, others you can't even shoot your way out a of wet paper sack. All one can really do is have fun, wave your hands in the air and scream if the mood takes you, but always take it as it comes and just have fun.
Lt. Commander
# 15
11-11-2010, 08:18 AM
also keep in mind that some days you actually play like a demon but due to the other team you just cant get the numbers that reflect how well you actually played, particularly in pugs. Losing is not always a result of you having played badly, somtimes the other team were just better
Lt. Commander
# 16
11-11-2010, 09:25 AM
Stay with it and don't get too discouraged. PvP is funny sometimes you get a team that you have the right composition and skill level to stomp... 1 game later its reversed.

We all got hurt hard for the first while. I remember early pvp on my fed and saying "why bother this is stupid" lol

Stick with it and learn something everyday.... you will get better, you will win more often. However you go into every match KNOWING you could be beat... and beat hard possibly. That is the thrill of pvp that the pve stuff doesn't provide, right?

Also keep in mind as you go up the levels you are going to run into more long time players leveling alts. I know RZR has been leveling alts all week. Not saying we always win or anything, just keep in mind some times that guy you see that is -6 may also have a couple thousand games of xp.

Have fun man we need all the pvp players we can muster.
Lt. Commander
# 17
11-11-2010, 10:35 AM
I totally feel what your saying. I have been playing since closed beta and there are times when I feel like im just hitting random keys in the hopes that luck will beat my inability to hit the right ones.

Like others have said just keep at it and have fun. Team work is very important and the fact seems to be that Klingons learn this lesson better and earlier then most Feds. I play my fed and I might get a good team that focus fires and cross heals but its not that common I play my Klingon and we are almost always focus firing and cross healing.

We dont need to be in a team, we dont need to know who is being attacked. We see which Fed is being attacked and we all target him. That way our heals go to who ever he is targeting and we all do damage to the same person. Then we switch targets and do the same thing.

This can be slowed down with various powers and the ability to adjust and refocus is important but in the end its not about being in a team its about playing like a team.
Lt. Commander
# 18
11-11-2010, 11:25 AM
Thanks to all for your comments. I'm really impressed at the level of support and advice. I've even been making notes as I've been reading. Lots of stuff to think about. And definitely, thanks for putting up with my bout of whining.

The only thing that went totally over my head with this idea of "going outside." I'll look that up on Wikipedia.

I really do enjoy PvP (though I like other things about the game too) and I'm a little surprised at the level of dislike I've occasionally run into on the forums for PvP and PvP'ers.

I'm off to try some new builds/tactics.

Best.
Lt. Commander
# 19
11-11-2010, 12:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mygod_itsfullofstars
Thats the spirit. I don't know any long time pvp players that still don't tweek there builds almost every time they log in.
Lt. Commander
# 20
11-11-2010, 03:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mygod_itsfullofstars
Thanks to all for your comments. I'm really impressed at the level of support and advice. I've even been making notes as I've been reading. Lots of stuff to think about. And definitely, thanks for putting up with my bout of whining.

This was hardly whining.

So you might be new at PvP, but you ask for advice, and listen when its given.. Thats the difference between a newbie and a n00b.. We were all newbies once, some of us asked for advice and eventually got better. Some did not listen to advice, and are so sure of their own abilities, that every time they lose its someone/thing elses fault.. They are perfect, therefore it cannot be them. That is what we call n00bs.

Being a newbie is a positive thing, being a n00b is kinda negative

The only thing that went totally over my head with this idea of "going outside." I'll look that up on Wikipedia.

Typical friendly banter.. The reference is a kid sitting in his moms basement, all day long playing computergames.. "seeing the light" or "going outside" are normal friendly flames :p

I really do enjoy PvP (though I like other things about the game too) and I'm a little surprised at the level of dislike I've occasionally run into on the forums for PvP and PvP'ers.

That is because some people doesnt want to listen to reason.. They refuse to belive people that basically PvP 90% of the time theyre ingame.. Those are often the same people that refuse to believe the problem with their performance is sitting 40 cm from their monitor.

When they persist with their complaints over and over, they get told to go out and L2P (learn to play).. Obviously in their selfcentered views, that means that all the people saying it, are bad bad people.

And good luck. You have my nick, and I can also get you into a pretty good Federation fleet (La Familia)

We're always looking for cool people.. Skill doesnt matter, but its mandatory to be a nice, cool person, willing to learn.

Best.
/CharLimit