Lt. Commander
# 1 Starbase 24 ... WTF?
11-12-2010, 02:42 PM
I currently have a Lieutenant 8 and this mission is ridiculous. My friend had played through it a week ago and kept *****ing for hours about how difficult it was. I finally got around to trying it tonight. After entering the fleet battle and helping to defeat 50 Klingon fighters and 20 Klingon warships, then beaming onto the station and rescuing 6 scientists (and dying a good two dozen times in the process), I finally completed that section and beamed back onto my ship, where the game crashed. After reloading the game, I have to start the mission all over again?

Granted, the fleet portion might rely more on fighting when the server's busy.
Granted, I might still be too low of a level.
Granted, the game crashing might've been bad luck on my part.

But considering that I spent 2 hours only to have no progress left in the mission, I think this mission is too time-consuming. With patrol missions, they're broken down into parts. Now, should I complete 2 of 5 sectors to patrol, then log off, my progress will be saved when I log back on. Why is it different for Starbase 24?

Also, I tried searching for a topic on "Starbase 24" but met with the following error: "The search term you specified (24) is under the minimum word length (3) and therefore will not be found. Please make this term longer. " So that's why I created a new topic. Any agreements/disagreements, suggestions, warnings of similar missions or whatever are welcome, because I'm tempted to abandon the mission for better (and probably more rewarding) missions.
Lt. Commander
# 2
11-12-2010, 02:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corinthius View Post
I currently have a Lieutenant 8 and this mission is ridiculous. My friend had played through it a week ago and kept *****ing for hours about how difficult it was. I finally got around to trying it tonight. After entering the fleet battle and helping to defeat 50 Klingon fighters and 20 Klingon warships, then beaming onto the station and rescuing 6 scientists (and dying a good two dozen times in the process), I finally completed that section and beamed back onto my ship, where the game crashed. After reloading the game, I have to start the mission all over again?

Granted, the fleet portion might rely more on fighting when the server's busy.
Granted, I might still be too low of a level.
Granted, the game crashing might've been bad luck on my part.

But considering that I spent 2 hours only to have no progress left in the mission, I think this mission is too time-consuming. With patrol missions, they're broken down into parts. Now, should I complete 2 of 5 sectors to patrol, then log off, my progress will be saved when I log back on. Why is it different for Starbase 24?

Also, I tried searching for a topic on "Starbase 24" but met with the following error: "The search term you specified (24) is under the minimum word length (3) and therefore will not be found. Please make this term longer. " So that's why I created a new topic. Any agreements/disagreements, suggestions, warnings of similar missions or whatever are welcome, because I'm tempted to abandon the mission for better (and probably more rewarding) missions.
This is a fleet action meant for more than one team. Just check the population when you enter and if there isn't 5 to 10 other people in it the action will be tough to do solo or duo.

Ya I hate that forum search limit also.
Lt. Commander
# 3
11-12-2010, 03:49 PM
But at least it is possible to complete solo. The other Fleet actions are darn near impossible to complete as there are no allied NPC sprites. Try doing Ice Mining solo. Epic fail.
Lt. Commander
# 4
11-12-2010, 04:03 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong (and I apologize that this might be off topic OP), but aren't FA's primarily for the physical reward at the end and not for XP? Honestly I've went through SB 24 solo a couple times, and the 2nd time was more for verification on the rewards. Both times it seemed that I hadn't received a lump sum of XP for completing it, but I did get a battery both times...

Just curious what are the main purpose of FA's? Is it to get the items at the end, and the items scale based on contribution, or is it really for the XP?

Hopefully no the latter else ppl who farm them for that purpose are hosed...
Lt. Commander
# 5
11-12-2010, 04:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dinaste View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong (and I apologize that this might be off topic OP), but aren't FA's primarily for the physical reward at the end and not for XP? Honestly I've went through SB 24 solo a couple times, and the 2nd time was more for verification on the rewards. Both times it seemed that I hadn't received a lump sum of XP for completing it, but I did get a battery both times...

Just curious what are the main purpose of FA's? Is it to get the items at the end, and the items scale based on contribution, or is it really for the XP?

Hopefully no the latter else ppl who farm them for that purpose are hosed...

Also, let me add: I wasn't sure when the SB 24 FA was actually completed. During the space part of the mission, I got a message to beam down and there were still well over 3/4 the amount of enemies left to kill in the objectives. So I was a little confused if finishing off all enemies in the space part was a requirement or not?
Lt. Commander
# 6
11-12-2010, 07:27 PM
The SB24 missions is actually 3 missions with the first part and the second part been independent of each other.
The third part becomes only available after finishing the second part on the ground.

Part 1 vs the fleet of ships is the part that gives the best reward. A moderate amount of skill points from killing ships and a item based on your contribution in the battle. Goes up to a blue item useable with your rank.

Part 2 is an optional side mission in the ground setting inside the star base, reward is minimal.

Part 3 is again space, a short race and fight against some more klingon ships to deliver the personal recovered in part 2, again, reward is minimal.

Most people don't bother with part 2 and 3 after having them done once.
Lt. Commander
# 7
11-12-2010, 11:31 PM
Starbase 24 is not a good example of fleet actions. Very few people want to do it and whilst the space side can be solo'd fairly easily (except at the point where the objectives change and 500 ships gank you) the ground side is awful. (and that damn pop up message for the ground mission is annoying).

I only use Starbase 24 to test out new weapons loads.