Lt. Commander
# 1 Sorry Cryptic
11-19-2010, 08:39 AM
I had to use your less than stellar ground combat as an example of somthing i had to change as part of a design decision during my interveiw for training in the gaming industry. I did praise space combat, though.
Lt. Commander
# 2
11-19-2010, 03:16 PM
You say "less than stellar"
That's not constructive at all. WHY is it less than stellar.

I happen to like it, not that I don't see room for improvement.
Lt. Commander
# 3
11-19-2010, 03:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haya View Post
I had to use your less than stellar ground combat as an example of somthing i had to change as part of a design decision during my interveiw for training in the gaming industry. I did praise space combat, though.
But they are in the process of fixing it. Isn't that like saying "this bridge sucks" while it's only half built?
Lt. Commander
# 4
11-19-2010, 03:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Commadore_Bob
But they are in the process of fixing it. Isn't that like saying "this bridge sucks" while it's only half built?
Well to be fair, we're installing the rest of the bridge on Tuesday.
Lt. Commander
# 5
11-19-2010, 03:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Commadore_Bob

In all fairness it was deemed "ready for market" sometime ago; despite its hefty shortcomings. I guess the old say about one man's trash is another treasure would apply to this situation - yes?
Lt. Commander
# 6
11-19-2010, 03:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by .Spartan View Post

In all fairness it was deemed "ready for market" sometime ago; despite its hefty shortcomings. I guess the old say about one man's trash is another treasure would apply to this situation - yes?
It was deemed "ready for market" before Dan. I have this mental image of him walking into the executive producers officer and going "What the crap is this?"
Lt. Commander
# 7
11-21-2010, 08:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by reiella View Post
Damn! Always with Tuesday!, Ground combat may be less then brilliant but It could always be worse
Ie. -presses button to fire torps and computer says "Error: Not installed, Wait til Tuesday"-
Lt. Commander
# 8
11-21-2010, 10:26 PM
I have actually found ground combat enjoyable.

But i do find ground content lacking.
Lt. Commander
# 9
11-21-2010, 11:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by reiella View Post
let me guess the Captain's Toilet gets installed next Tuesday I do enjoy ground combat also enjoyable, but lacking in rewards.
Lt. Commander
# 10
11-21-2010, 11:55 PM
Ground combat isn't really different from space combat I'd guess. Face it, the lion's share of this game is in and around space. I'd venture a guess that a good 90% of us spend more than 75% of skill points in space combat, leaving us to cry when we get our collective butts handed to us in ground engagements.

I spent MAYBE 5k points in ground stuff. I avoid ground combat like the plague. It's easy to loose sight of this and allow our ego to dictate 'Surely this isn't MY shortcoming. It's a flaw within the game.'

Not only that, but when pitted against other ground combat scenarios, you're venturing into the realm of FPS. I have 'shooters' for when I want stimulating ground combat.

Not to whine or to bring up old complaints, but you're also dealing with a system designed to not have a skills cap. I don't like feeling that I have to choose one or the other between ground and space, but it is what it is.

>D'Stahl, close your eyes starting >here< >>> In order to use the skills cap as a tool instead of just being an inhibitor, STO might consider integrating PvP similarly to some missions. Red or Blue must push back the opposing force (similr to cap and hold). Finally having pushed back the respective "defenders" the "attacking" side must push into the base and destroy some power source or something.

It would be possible for the defenders to push back the attackers and even turn the tables via the use of some 'sway influence' system in space. Allowing blue and red ships to remain in space while other blue and red members push on in ground combat. Epic combat of this scale would probably be left to fleets as PUGs would be attrrociously out organized.

At any rate, the balance of space/ground skills would drive more creative and miserly thinking among the PvP savvy by pushing folks to 'accept' less than max skill levels against not having their asses handed to them.

>Okay D'stahl, you can open your eyes again<

Edit: I don't want to 'have' to have ground skills. If, in the future, you DO impliment something like this, a Tuesday would be ideal.