Lt. Commander
# 1 New to the game
11-11-2010, 08:24 PM
I will be playing Federation mostly and would like to PVE, I am a long time trek fan and did not think they could even pull this game off but from the video and screen shot so far, I have to say i am quite impress with it, so I went out and bought a copy, what would be a good server to join ?

Are there alot of bots here? Thank you!
Lt. Commander
# 2
11-11-2010, 08:26 PM
First - welcome

Second - there is only one live server, holodeck, and one testing server, tribble. So no need to worry about what server to pick.

To be honest, no one has brought up bots before, so I can't answer your question other than to say I am unaware of them.
Lt. Commander
# 3
11-11-2010, 09:03 PM
Thank you I look forward to playing, were there always one server only? I thought there was a PVP server at one point. Don't tell me the game is dying Even with an EQ like crowd I would be happy.
Lt. Commander
# 4
11-11-2010, 09:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duzell
Thank you I look forward to playing, were there always one server only? I thought there was a PVP server at one point. Don't tell me the game is dying Even with an EQ like crowd I would be happy.
The game has always only had 1 server.
Lt. Commander
# 5
11-11-2010, 09:26 PM
Quote:
There can only be one! Server that is; yes, even at launch it was a single server. The population isn't as big as it used to be like at the start but it's far from dead/dieing. Welcome to the game.
Lt. Commander
# 6
11-11-2010, 09:33 PM
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidNuetronium
There can only be one! Server that is; yes, even at launch it was a single server. The population isn't as big as it used to be like at the start but it's far from dead/dieing. Welcome to the game.
No... The game isn't dying.

In the beginning there were alot of people leaving, making it seem like the game was going the wrong way, but in recent months, I and alot of other people have seen an increase in the number of ships flying around in space, more or less telling me that some of the worst issues there were at launch are gone now, and the playerbase is improoving.

Cryptic is running the entire game off one server, splitting the players into instances, rather than servers.
Basically that means that theres a cap (i belive the top is 20 or so) pr instance.
It's a diffrent way of controling server lag, but it seems to work, and all players in the game have an easy time communicating.
I am not saying that there are no problems with this method, but as a very minimum, theres always someone to chat with
Lt. Commander
# 7
11-11-2010, 10:28 PM
Sweet! I am patching right now still but I look forward to playing in this world I also read a lot of the problem at launch has been fixed so I will have to say that was very encouraging for me. See you guys in game when I finish!
Lt. Commander
# 8
11-12-2010, 02:10 AM
Welcome Duzell,

I hope you will have a pleasant experience here. And if you don't mind I'll give you two suggestions.

First, when you are able to create a KDF toon, you should do that. It may not be someone you will play everytime, but occasional you might like the change of pace.

Second, do not throw away the following food items:

72% food:
  • Cardassian Taspar Egg
  • Jumbo Romulan Molusk
  • Klingon Heart of Targ
  • Quadrotriticale
  • Romulan Ale
  • Romulan Osol Twist
  • Tranya
  • Tulaberry Wine

64% food:
  • Aldebaran Whiskey
  • Bolian Souffle
  • Ferengi Jellied Gree-Worm
  • Ferengi Snail Snack
  • Ferengi Tube Grubs
  • Flaked Blood Fleas
  • I'danian Spice Pudding
  • Jimbalian Fudge
  • Klingon Gladst
  • Klingon Grapok Sauce
  • Klingon Octopus
  • Livanian Beet
  • Ratamba Stew
  • Romulan Kali_Fal
  • Trixian Bubble Juice
  • Tulaberry
  • Vorta Q'lava
  • Vorta Rippleberry

Some of them fetch premium prices on the exchange.
Lt. Commander
# 9
11-12-2010, 02:32 AM
Lt. Commander
# 10
11-12-2010, 02:24 PM
Quote:
No. The game isn't dying. The Holodeck (Live Server) is one [b]VERY BIG]/b] server that everyone players on. (and technicaly it' snot one sphyscal server. It's a bunch of physical server working together in a cluster.) Cryptic's game engine uses heavy instancing to keep the number of players in social/common zones to a sane level. And most of the PvE content is in private instances for you and the team (if any) you are on. There are fleet actions maps in which lots of players (upwards of 20+) can (and have to) cooperate together to complete the objectives.

All of the zone instances chat channels are liked together. So everyone on each Earth Space Dock zones can chat. And you can generally switching maps instances for long as the destination instance isn't full. And the game server ties on the background to send you other instanced in which teammates and in games friends are currently in,