Lt. Commander
# 61
11-15-2010, 01:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rb74
How is it not? oh wait Shields and Hull
Sorry, i so rarely hear that I forget all about it...

In the BoP you have a ship that excels in both the offensive and defensive side of the game. No other ship in the game does that. Give it a pocket healer and the damn thing is near invincible except under focus fire.

People come out with all this garbage on how to counter this that and the other from the BoP but the reality is when your playing the game and your defending against burst damage cruisers, tabbing like crazy through the 60+ pets and mines floating around, trying to kill carriers, trying to keep and eye on your team mates and all the other things that go on in battles these counters go out the window.

Look at some of the posts, you can kill a bop during the 3 seconds its shields are down. What a load of tosh. In ideal circumstances yes, but you'll never get ideal circumstances. SHoot it with your quantums - ok, so no chance your quantums are a) on cool down or b) out of their firing arc. Shoot it with tricobolts, ok, everyone uses those because they are oh so reliable and effective. No chance their not on cool down, out of arc or can be shot down. You could shoot it with BO3. Assuming, blah blah blah....

All of these 'counters' make incorrect assumptions about the circumstances you will be in.
Example,
You're in a fight with a klingon cruiser. It has high burst damage so you're popping off your resists and heals, whilst fighting back yourself using your buffs etc... A BoP is behind you about 8K away. He sees you just used up a bunch of resists, your rsp is gone, you've just fired a HY volley off. He de-cloaks and fires.

Unless you are totally zoomed out on the screen, you wont see him. You wont know hes there until hes fired and hit you. SO how are you going to turn, 180 degrees, target him and fire on him in 3 seconds? Answer, your not.

Que the uberl33ts to claim they do this all the time.

By itself the BoP isn't necessarily overpowered, just very tough, but when you combine it with all the other advantages the Klingops have. Carriers, Burst damage cruisers, cloaking, manouverability, then as a faction its over powered. I just like to single the BoP out because of the Shields and Hull nonsense they use to justify all their advantages.
^ THIS is the stuff I'm talking about.
Lt. Commander
# 62
11-15-2010, 03:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thlaylie View Post
^ THIS is the stuff I'm talking about.
That you fired your torps at a bad time and that's the devs fault causing a perceived imbalance? (perceived because you've clearly never been in a premade or have any familiarity with them)

Ok then.....
Lt. Commander
# 63
11-15-2010, 04:01 PM
Q'apla,

I am curious as to just what you would do to the Bird of Prey to make it no longer overpowered. What changes would make it acceptable to you?
Lt. Commander
# 64
11-16-2010, 05:10 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon_Picard
That you fired your torps at a bad time and that's the devs fault causing a perceived imbalance? (perceived because you've clearly never been in a premade or have any familiarity with them)

Ok then.....
Fired his torps at a bad time? Considering that a cloaked ship can see when a person they are targeting (or not targeting for that matter) fires their torps then any time would be a bad time. Duh.

Just a note, I'm not on either side of this arguement. In other words I could care less either way since I don't pvp.

Actually this thread is a perfect example of why I think all pvp should be banned from STO...or any game for that matter. While it's suppose to present an extra challenge for players it more often than not just ****es people off and the devs always end up trying to appease the pvpers which then ends up screwing up the pve'ers making EVERYTHING unbalenced. Of course I know that my dream of haveing a good game where there is no pvp is just that...a dream. For the simple fact that 99% of the time it is also the pvp'ers that are the most vocal.
Lt. Commander
# 65 Did he really just say that?
11-16-2010, 05:41 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amosov
No I'm just highlighting how ludicrous these requests will get if a line isn't drawn underneath them. The OP wanting something just because it's canon isn't a good enough excuse.

The Klingons got these ship based abilities in direct relation the the Federation getting the tech I mentioned previously, that's your countermeasure right there.
So if we're not basing the game from canon, what the frak are we basing it from?

Is the new BoP over powered? No. Could a balanced version of the requested torpedo be worked in to enhance game play and immersion? I think so. Stop being so antagonistic.
Lt. Commander
# 66
11-16-2010, 05:44 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintAdalberto
Hello,

This is what combat looks like for me flying a BoP (my favorite ship because of its awesome turn rate and dogfighting capacity.)

Klink Team Lead: "All right, everyone target FEDPWNS."

*Decloak*

*Fire at FEDPWNS along with the entire Klink Team*

*FEDPWNS pops*

Klink Team Lead: "All right, target FEDLEET."

*Turn ship, fire at FEDLEET along with the entire Klink Team*

*FEDLEET hits Evasive and runs*

Klink Team Lead: "He ran, the slimy PetaQ. All right, target FEDWINZ."

*Turn ship...*

*I take incoming fire from three Fed ships, I press shield heals/hull heals in sequence. My BoP pops.*

Me: "I guess they started naming targets."

*Respawn*

Klink Team Lead: "FEDFLEET is back and on my tail. I think I'm their new target. Need some heal- Damnit."

*Klink Team Lead Respawns next to me.*

Me: "Today was a good day to die, eh?"

Klink Team Lead: "Day's not over yet, Garoul. Come on!"

*We cloak and impulse away to rejoin the fight*
Nailed it in one! Thats the life of a BoP. Cloak - impulse to combat area- prep alpha- decloak- attack- continue attacking- get focus fired upon- hit hull/shield heals- maybe die/maybe not - eventually die to continued foucus fire - repeat process
Lt. Commander
# 67
11-16-2010, 06:32 AM
Oh BoP, how I love thee

The source of so much contempt and hatred from other players, it puts an evil smile across my face
Lt. Commander
# 68
11-16-2010, 04:45 PM
And just think, it's true and always has been that: "Military secrets are the most fleeting of all." Because they are studied to death almost immediately after being made. No ship will have the big advantage, because the enemys will make something to counter it right away. Cloaks? Yes, no problem, but then torps that seek out cloaked ships? Yes, very likely. SO... any ship that you make WILL have an enemy ship somewhere that can hunt it down and kill it, or have weapons that will neutralize the cloak, I'm not on anyones side here, but this is true. No military in their right minds would let any enemy ships have an advantage they couldn't break, unless it was something totally new, then it too would fail in a few years of research.