Lt. Commander
The only phrase I could think of after the 4th failure was "ill-advised"

As in, whoever designed this mission was very ill-advised.

Where is the challenge in a mission where you have to talk to Breen prisoners, and FAIL the entire mission for the slightest screwup, and have to start over with the SAME medical technobabble each time?

There is no challenge; it's an exercise in facepalming stupidity, as you have to essentially GUESS whether "Why did you do this?" is as offensive as "Your nation is strong, so why attack civilians?" because BOTH answers get you failure.

Where is the challenge here? Memorizing which coordinated responses don't cause instant death failure?

The only challenge to me is the test of not attempting to find a way to burn the Breen prisoners alive using quantum multi-spectral interferometric gravitonic chroniton flux osmosis capacitation technobabble.
Lt. Commander
# 2
09-18-2010, 05:20 PM
I liked it, but I didn't have to start over because I completed it on the first try. I didn't know if you failed it that you would have to restart the entire mission; that would be annoying.
Lt. Commander
# 3
09-18-2010, 05:28 PM
Isn't that the one where you're supposed to question the prisoner? I made it through that episode on the first pass. I think you're given a clue beforehand that it's not good idea to accuse him of being dishonorable for attacking civies. Just stay away from that word in the conversation tree.
Lt. Commander
# 4
09-18-2010, 05:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by akdbman View Post
Isn't that the one where you're supposed to question the prisoner? I made it through that episode on the first pass. I think you're given a clue beforehand that it's not good idea to accuse him of being dishonorable for attacking civies. Just stay away from that word in the conversation tree.

AS you should've read in my first post, it's never very clear just what will insult them, as I got failure from asking why this Breen allowed something, as well as for asking why they didn't question their orders, as well as from asking why they'd kill civilians.
Lt. Commander
# 5
09-18-2010, 09:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndarielHalo View Post
AS you should've read in my first post, it's never very clear just what will insult them, as I got failure from asking why this Breen allowed something, as well as for asking why they didn't question their orders, as well as from asking why they'd kill civilians.
I take it you didn't do any of the other diplomacy missions, then? This one was actually less annoying than the other ones. All you had to do was pick the most neutral option.

It's not like you had to run all around Vulcan a half dozen times because you picked the more blunt approach.
Lt. Commander
# 6
09-18-2010, 09:10 PM
Back in my day we didn't have any dilpo missions! We had to grind killin Klingins and Gornz. And we liked it!
Lt. Commander
# 7
09-18-2010, 11:08 PM
I think the most shocking/offensive affront of a mission in all of STO (to me) is still the one where I have to shoot bar patrons.

Followed closely by being a jumja stick delivery service.
Lt. Commander
# 8
09-18-2010, 11:12 PM
I totally agree with the OP. I just did that mission, and failed due to a misclick . Yes, I read the clues, it was an outright misclick due to a finger cramp.

Start the entire mission over? I don't care if it's not a huge deal to zone out and come back and do it again, Ill Advised is exactly the right word.

I know Cryptic doesn't have a lot of experience writing missions since they have the engine randomize it for them usually, but here's a clue: don't do that.

I seriously just reconsidered my subscription for a few minutes. I'm not going to quit, or course, but I was pretty ticked off. Making us start over like that is unwarranted and unnecessarily punitive. When a quest leaves the player with the impression 'that was bull....t and I don't really even feel like playing the game anymore tonight' there might be a problem with the mission.

What's next? you make a wrong choice and your doorbell rings and some hired thug smahes you in the teeth with a bat?

I was really impressed with Cold Call, now this one has me considering not doing these anymore.
Lt. Commander
# 9
09-18-2010, 11:23 PM
Oh the Weiner on a stick one was so stupid.

Yes, as a starship captain, I will indeed fly across space that until recently took one ship more that 7 years to get back from, to bring you a hot dog on a stick.

What a genious idea for a mission, especially a 'diplomacy' mission. I didn't realize 'diplomacy' meant bringing snack food to a low ranking starfleet member with a jonesing for meat byproducts. I thought diplomacy was the art of saying 'nice doggy' till you could grab a large rock.

I wanted to say I hope the dev team meets and discusses these missions before they get ok'd, but let me rephrase it to , I really hope they don't because that means some group ok'd this stupidity. and say 'please start having a team discuss the missions you actually write.'

here's a list of things to start with:

1. Start over from beginning on fail: Bad. Go back to torturing small animals and pulling wings off insects please.

2. Fetch missions: Are stupid enough without involving cutesy 'I want a hot dog' foolishness.

3. It's a little weird that the written diplomacy missions only have one right answer, considering what diplomacy actually is.
Lt. Commander
# 10
09-19-2010, 06:45 AM
I actually thought the shooting of bar patrons was hilarious, though given Federation ideals and Prime Directive and all, it was totally a bad call. Can't this game have the guns use a STUN setting once in a while? Still, in context, especially considering the rather violent nature of my prime character, I found it hilarious.

The hotdog on a stick I had no problem doing because it was easy free money and skillpoints and dilpo XP. But I recognized the stupidity in the fact that he asked for only ONE... considering it's just ONE friggin stick I'm travelling for, why not have me bring a buttload of them? A few crates? Why not bring him something tangible as well? Put a few credits on the Dabo table? Accost a Runabout for his use? Punch an old rival in the head? ANYTHING?

That was spectacularly annoying when I only bought one Jumja stick, and put it in my inventory, forgetting that it was serving as a tribble brothel, and got a tribble for my troubles (OH NOESZ~!), so I had to GO BACK and get THREE of them, and put them on my person.

He only took one. Boy was I offended, in the Muslim style of offense; I offer you stuff and you only take a little?

Going back to the topic at hand, the poster before me has a point regarding the diplomacy. Diplomacy is NOT one answer solutions for everything. That is mathematics. Diplomacy is not as simple as mathematics. Considering the Breen are enslaving a species and attacking us and seeking to destroy an entire species, I don't think I should quake and bow down before a prisoner just to get him to tell me how to remove an implant. There should be other ways to appeal to them.

Some of the dialogue options as well I felt would have served very well in accomodating without resorting to sycophancy, but they automatically lead to failure.

I'm not an overly violent person; I'm not the sort who would call the Breen murderers and mock them for getting caught and look to beat them up to get information. But I'm not likely to resort to the Johnathan Archer method of diplomacy---getting my own dumb ass kicked and humiliated in the interrogation procedure.