Lt. Commander
# 11
11-14-2010, 04:41 AM
Quote:
hate to say it, but if we couldn't figure it out and it takes the CEO of STO to tell us this trick after many tries and frustrated attempts, then it wasn't implemented well.
Who is we ? Shall I call you your Majesty .... no problem with that either, not the second nor the third time ...
Lt. Commander
# 12
11-14-2010, 08:08 AM
I'm having some trouble, too. Not sure what I'm doing wrong. I can the first two rings but after that I'm no where near close to staying on course. I've tried different speeds and engine settings with no avail. I'm taking a break from it after spending a half hour of fail -- it's getting annoying. I don't mind a challenge but when it really hurts the flow of a game/episode (or unable to even start it), it might be a bit too much.

For those who don't suck as much as I, what were your settings, etc? Maybe there's something I'm missing.
Lt. Commander
# 13
11-14-2010, 10:02 AM
Originally Posted by Eklinaar
Do people not steer with their mouse normally? I've always used the mouse to steer since I started playing, and I had no trouble with the ring puzzle.

Well now, this is an interesting tidbit. So because you, or a dev chooses to try this mission using the mouse and has no problems, then there couldn't possibly be someone in a work camp trying to use a laptop in their time off with no mouse?

For those who wish to know, I turned down my key repeat rate to slow down my turning to be able to do this without a mouse. Trying to use a touchpad from my lap was too much, and again I am forced to wonder that I even have to do this. You telling me an onboard ship computer that can calculate the composition of an asteroid from a distance does not have the processing capability to take my ship through this rather simple physics equation? I learned how to calculate gravity and force of centrifugal action in grade 11, using looseleaf paper and a pencil.

Again why did I have to waste an hour and a half trying to set my computer settings to even allow me to complete the run trial and error, just to get a couple of rather useless items.

So dev's please remember that not all of us have uber high tech equipment like I'm sure you do your tests on, and each individual usually has their own computer settings that may need to be changed to match "your normal settings".

I'm sure noone really cares, but if STO gameplay doesn't improve drastically, I won't be buying another year.
Lt. Commander
# 14
11-14-2010, 10:36 AM
How do you turn down your key rate? I have tried staying close to the side and going in at only half speed and still can't get it done. Also, I don't steer using my mouse. My mouse just works the camera angles. Didn't think most MMO's needed to be joystick friendly.
Lt. Commander
# 15
11-14-2010, 10:41 AM
I can honestly say that I had no problems with it. I have done it four times and each time I have completed it without problems.
Lt. Commander
# 16
11-14-2010, 11:13 AM
no problems doing the ring puzzle on any of my toons. first time each time.

I have noticed you dont need to infact follow the highlighted course much as it really gives you a speed boost
as long as you go thorugh each ring in order and not fly backwards you should find it easier.

And i do suffer from bad lag and still found this a rather fun and enjoyable puzzle.

(p.s did my first two toons using my arrow keys to steer and then did the others using the mouse no problem with any of them)

but this is only from my own personal experience.
Lt. Commander
# 17 Slingshot
11-14-2010, 12:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by joebobkill View Post
I managed to get it.... on my 10th or so try Dsthal said something about holding down both mouse buttons to navigate... hate to say it, but if we couldn't figure it out and it takes the CEO of STO to tell us this trick after many tries and frustrated attempts, then it wasn't implemented well.
Well the holding of both mouse buttons is no cure. I have tried this with a fed sci ship and a klingon cruiser.Tried navigation all possible ways. Speed adjustments all ways possible. Still just as difficult.Contrary to some things I have read if you are going too slow it will fail you anyway even if you get through the gates. it's the same no matter what ship or faction you are. Apparently you are either super talented and can do it like all those who are happily saying it is easy or you are not talented such as myself and others who are repeatedly trying and failing. Love the game but I am disappointed that I probably will not be able to complete this story. must be some middle ground that the mission could be tweaked to so that the talented as well as the not so talented can do it and still have everyone enjoy it. Thanks for letting me vent.
Lt. Commander
# 18
11-14-2010, 12:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dakotaray View Post
Well now, this is an interesting tidbit. So because you, or a dev chooses to try this mission using the mouse and has no problems, then there couldn't possibly be someone in a work camp trying to use a laptop in their time off with no mouse?

Buy a USB mouse for your laptop and start steering with it. A basic USB mouse is about $12. That alone will improve your gameplay tremendously. Trackpads are terrible for gaming.
Lt. Commander
# 19
11-14-2010, 12:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thutmosis
Who is we ? Shall I call you your Majesty .... no problem with that either, not the second nor the third time ...
Lol, why try to insult me? There are more than several people in this thread alone who believe it was hard, with or without pressing the two mouse buttons. You succeeded at it despite the fact that others did not succeed. Does that mean everyone should have succeeded at it?
Lt. Commander
# 20
11-14-2010, 01:03 PM
For those with difficulty. I took me a while (and a whole lot of Klingon swear words) to figure it out.

I had to drop to half impulse and use the A and D keys to lightly press to stay on course. Dont watch the rings, keep your ship in line with the blue curve around the Star and it was do able

I have to say as well cryptic. Nice touch giving us a D7 to timewarp around a sun, if only the reward was something to do with "Transparent Aluminum" then it would of been complete... even if Voyage Home is my least favourite Trek film (barring Trek V obviously)