Lt. Commander
# 1 Star Ship Weapons help!!!
11-13-2010, 09:05 PM
Im somewhat new to the game. I did a search but I could not find any topics regarding this, but I only went as far back as June of this year so sorry if the question and answers were already posted.
I dont quite understand all the different types of star ship weapons or how to choose between them since they all seem the same to me, all the ones of the same type i mean.

For example:

Plasma Cannon MK IV and Disruptor Cannon MK IV - Both have 100 damage (133 DPS)

So my question is what are the differences between Phaser, Plasma, Disruptor, damages?

I see the same thing with the torpedos. Quantum, Photon, Plasma, Tetrion....etc.

How do I choose the right one for me? Which ones dictate or are suited for what type of game play/strategy?
Lt. Commander
# 2
11-13-2010, 09:22 PM
the difference is that they have a proc that has a chance of hitting when you fire. Phasers have a chance to disable an enemy subsystems, disruptors have a chance to debuff disruptor resistance, tetryon have a chance to drain shields slightly, polaron drains energy levels, plasma does fire damage over time, and anti-proton does straight dmg.
Lt. Commander
# 3
11-13-2010, 09:34 PM
The difference comes down to personal preference. In your skills, you will notice if you scroll down that there are different types of weapons you can increase you skills for. When it comes to beam/cannon weapons, I highly recommend choosing no more than two types of weapons. The difference in this case is more about style and what pretty colors you like seeing fired from your ship. Also, certain hull plating and or shields can be resilient to certain types of weaponry. It depends on the opponent and how they have their defenses allocated. The best option is to pick two types and stick with them

As far as projectiles are concerned, Plasma torpedoes, if set to high yield by a BO, will be converted to a Heavy Plasma Torpedo and also have a chance to cause a plasma fire on your opponents ships. Tri-Cobalt weapons are the same way, except they always fire a heavy projectile. I recommend no more than one or two types of torpedo so as to allocate your skills to other areas. I hope this gives you a little bit of an understanding.